The Jags Foundation

Norgethistle

I've sent this email to TJF via [email protected] and if anyone wants to copy parts of it to do the same, please do:

Dear Graeme,

I note the latest development around the share transfer's approval by the SFA and while it is very disappointing to hear the news it's not unexpected.

Throughout the current TJF board's tenure you have each come across as fair and honest people who are dedicated to the good of our football club. I can't imagine the amount of sheer effort and frustration you must have gone through in all this.

Sadly, that same fairness, honesty and dedication has not been paid back in kind by Three Black Cats, The Club Board or the trustees of the so-called PTFC "Trust".

In fact, despite your best efforts, perhaps even because of your decency, I feel you've been outflanked by people acting in an entirely unfair, dishonest and self-interested manner. I say this not to criticise you but to commiserate on how badly you have been treated simply for doing the right things.

I'll get to the point: I believe that unless there are consequences, real consequences, the Foundation will continue to be side-lined by the board and "Trust". I would like the Foundation to lead those efforts.

I know that Jags fans, me included, don't want the club to suffer. I also know that together, we have enormous strength IF we choose to use it. So I am asking you to consider what those consequences should be, and to consult with your members on them. 

For example, the upcoming cup game against Kelty Hearts is an opportunity for fans to make a one-off donation to TJF instead of buying a ticket, with the donations to be held as a bargaining chip and released to the club if the Trust commit to majority elected trustees this summer.

This sort of imaginative thinking, and hardball tactics, are - and I say this with sadness - what we must resort to if we are to fix the club we love.

For transparency, I will share this email (but not any responses) in the hope that fellow fans share my views. If they don't, I'll of course respect their difference of opinion and support TJF in its efforts to achieve true fan ownership.

Yours etc,

As I'm sure you'll appreciate, we've been swamped by emails from members after our call for views on our red lines (easily 50 or so, which is extremely heartening!)

We're trying to get back to as many folk as possible, prioritising those who have asked questions or provided more robust challenge. Please forgive us if we don't get back to those who have replied enthusiastically agreeing with us! Only so many hours in the day.

As for the points Marcia has raised, I have a lot of sympathy with those who feel unable to back the Club financially given the way they have treated their hardcore punters. But I personally don't support a financial boycott. I've seen too many football clubs go down a very dark alleyway on cashflow, and I'm not convinced the current custodians of the Football Club are responsive to financial distress. Their blasée attitude to losing £215k last season is testament to that.

What recent events do show, however, is how important it is for us to start building up a proper sink fund in the Foundation, in exactly the same way as SMISA are doing at St Mirren and The Well Society have done at Motherwell. Having proper six-figure sums in the bank, separate from the Club, gives the fans clout if, as some of us fear, the future has some severe bumps in the road.

So if you're not a member of the Foundation, JOIN UP TODAY.

If you are a member, BUY A MCQUADE PIN tomorrow, and consider MAKING A SUPPLEMENTARY DONATION.

If you're already doing these things GET YOUR THISTLE SUPPORTING FRIENDS AND FAMILY signed-up to the Foundation (membership from just £1 per month).

I never expected this journey to be easy, but I will readily admit I underestimated the sheer extent to which the custodians of our Club would let us down, and work actively against the wishes of the fans. It's time to make your voice heard.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

As I'm sure you'll appreciate, we've been swamped by emails from members after our call for views on our red lines (easily 50 or so, which is extremely heartening!)

We're trying to get back to as many folk as possible, prioritising those who have asked questions or provided more robust challenge. Please forgive us if we don't get back to those who have replied enthusiastically agreeing with us! Only so many hours in the day.

As for the points Marcia has raised, I have a lot of sympathy with those who feel unable to back the Club financially given the way they have treated their hardcore punters. But I personally don't support a financial boycott. I've seen too many football clubs go down a very dark alleyway on cashflow, and I'm not convinced the current custodians of the Football Club are responsive to financial distress. Their blasée attitude to losing £215k last season is testament to that.

What recent events do show, however, is how important it is for us to start building up a proper sink fund in the Foundation, in exactly the same way as SMISA are doing at St Mirren and The Well Society have done at Motherwell. Having proper six-figure sums in the bank, separate from the Club, gives the fans clout if, as some of us fear, the future has some severe bumps in the road.

If you are a member, BUY A MCQUADE PIN tomorrow, and consider MAKING A SUPPLEMENTARY DONATION.

If you're already doing these things GET YOUR THISTLE SUPPORTING FRIENDS AND FAMILY signed-up to the Foundation (membership from just £1 per month).

I never expected this journey to be easy, but I will readily admit I underestimated the sheer extent to which the custodians of our Club would let us down, and work actively against the wishes of the fans. It's time to make your voice heard.

Appreciate the constructive response WJ.

The only thing I’d add is that while you have a differing view (and as I said one I respect as a fellow fan) we’re ultimately both just one voice. I’d really like the Foundation to find out how much the wider membership agree with either of us (or neither!) on whether the gloves need to come off.

It doesn’t need to be financially punitive either. What if the Foundation said “here’s everything in our coffers in exchange for majority elected trustees” for example? 

As I said before, consequences.

I am officially done. I have a season ticket and will attend pretty much all the games for the remainder of this season, not spending another penny. 29th April 2023 at home to Arbroath will be my final appearance at Firhill as long as the current regime are in place. (been a fan for the last 35 years)

From next season I will only attend Thistle away games. Been to most grounds already but would rather spend my cash touring than give any more to the wretched scum sucking parasites currently in control.

Edited by The Legend Blows
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

WJ, You have given your personal opinion here. Is this the same as the Foundation as a group ?  
I kind of feel that the club is already sunk.

Glad to hear there's been a substantial response to the TJF email last week.  Still to get mine back.

I agree strongly with MarciaBlaine's points.  The very openness, thoroughness and professionalism of TJF makes it an organisation easy to sideline by the status-quo-clique.  I do take the point about having a decent chunk in the bank, but this can also be turned against you in any time of distress for the club.  You could already see the PTFC Trust pretty much do that at the last meeting with TJF.

I feel there needs to be a more campaigning side to this, and not just community building around the Pins, important though that is.  Apathy is the killer at the moment.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

I am officially done. I have a season ticket and will attend pretty much all the games for the remainder of this season, not spending another penny. 29th April 2023 at home to Arbroath will be my final appearance at Firhill as long as the current regime are in place. (been a fan for the last 35 years)

From next season I will only attend Thistle away games. Been to most grounds already but would rather spend my cash touring than give any more to the wretched scum sucking parasites currently in control.

For anyone doing this, good idea to tell the club you're doing it and why.

24 minutes ago, delurker said:

This is a really important point. The slow drip of discontent is key to keeping the message alive. I've just emailed Gerry Britton as follows:

Dear Gerry,

Further to my previous emails to you, I'd like to give you an update on where I am.

Frankly, it's difficult to convey. The transfer of shares to the so-called PTFC "Trust" has been a disgrace and the ownership situation remains a cynical farce.

I also believe it's not a coincidence whatsoever that the first team's form has collapsed while this has gone on.

I have continued to withhold all money to the club (matchday tickets, food/drink, Jagzone and my Christmas visit to hospitality) and will do so until we have genuine fan ownership and a significant clearout of the board of directors including the Chairman.

At a rate of £20 per ticket for 9 games, £9 for pre-match/in-stadium/post-match refreshments per game, £6 per month Jagzone for 4 months and £95 hospitality that equals £380 so far for the season.

Forecasting that ahead for the remainder of the season, it's a further 12 games, 6 months of Jagzone and a seasons-end hospitality, so that's £479 (not including any further cup games).

In total that's £859.

I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this and I can assure you that many more will when next season rolls around.

I really hope that circumstances allow me to return to Firhill with a clear conscience in the fullness of time, but for now I can't support what's going on at the club.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, delurker said:

TJF, time to get our/your questions for the Board in, and then watch the trust weasel out of asking any of them at the AGM...

First question would be - who are you?

Never seen any of these guys before at a Thistle game and I've been going for 41 years.

Would be interested to hear if any forum members know these people personally? Do they understand how they are viewed and that what they are doing is going to make people remember for them for all the wrong reasons?

11 minutes ago, laukat said:

Never seen any of these guys before at a Thistle game and I've been going for 41 years.

Would be interested to hear if any forum members know these people personally? Do they understand how they are viewed and that what they are doing is going to make people remember for them for all the wrong reasons?

I wonder if they are all members/beneficiaries/what-ever-the-term-is ?

Have they all had season tickets for the last 3 seasons to be qualified ?

16 minutes ago, laukat said:

I've been a Firhill regular for over 30 years and likewise  I don't recognise any of these gents, nor have I ever heard any of their names, outwith their association with the PTFC Trust.  Where did they spring from and how did they find themselves as the 5 directors,  and apparently only members,  of this very important organisation?

4 minutes ago, MarciaBlaine said:

I’ve seen a few people on Twitter state that 4 of the 5 aren’t eligible to be in their own trust

It's almost like they don't know what they have got themselves into...

I know one of them has been following Thistle for years and was/ isinvolved as chair of a charitable Trust close to Thistle. A good guy but no idea why he or the others have became involved. 

I would doubt any of the members hatched the plan to resucistate the PTFC Trust. 

It all seems to have been engineered by the board and their associates.

2 hours ago, delurker said:

Good point.  I'll get on it this week. Same goes for my son. He will not be attending after this season's last home game. Saying that, on current form it's hard enough to get him to go anyway.

Anyone got a list of email addresses they can recommend contacting to highlight my intentions? I of course will tone down the aggression in my contempt for the current board structure.

16 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Good point.  I'll get on it this week. Same goes for my son. He will not be attending after this season's last home game. Saying that, on current form it's hard enough to get him to go anyway.

Anyone got a list of email addresses they can recommend contacting to highlight my intentions? I of course will tone down the aggression in my contempt for the current board structure.

Good question.

I contacted Gerry just because I’d emailed the club about something way back and he’d responded from [email protected] so I had his address. I didn’t see the point emailing Jacqui Low.

Would be interested to see who others think is the best point of contact? We have a supporter’s liaison officer but I’m not clear what their remit is - I think it’s more about match day experience etc.

The generic address is [email protected] and you could mark it for the attention of specific people if you like, or see who they direct it to internally.

(There’s  also the Trust themselves, though of course they only read and respond to emails they like! Maybe there is merit in campaigning towards them too, so they have a measure of fans’ feelings.)

Edit: for the avoidance of doubt, TJF are not advocating for fans to do this. Hiya Jacqui! Hiya pal!

Edited by MarciaBlaine

1 minute ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Good question.

I contacted Gerry just because I’d emailed the club about something way back and he’d responded from [email protected] so I had his address. I didn’t see the point emailing Jacqui Low.

Would be interested to see who others think is the best point of contact? We have a supporter’s liaison officer but I’m not clear what their remit is - I think it’s more about match day experience etc.

The generic address is [email protected] and you could mark it for the attention of specific people if you like, or see who they direct it to internally.

(There’s  also the Trust themselves, though of course they only read and respond to emails they like! Maybe there is merit in campaigning towards them too, so they have a measure of fans’ feelings.)

Best to e mail Jacqui Low. I'm sure she'll have matters dealt with by the time of her next regular monthly update.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Edit: for the avoidance of doubt, TJF are not advocating for fans to do this. Hiya Jacqui! Hiya pal!

Sorry for self-quoting but I've emailed Gerry again specifically mentioning that TJF haven't endorsed withholding funds, or any other action that limits (or could potentially reduce) funds to the club.

I would strongly suggest that anyone emailing the club on these lines includes something similar in their message, while this remains TJF's position.