The Jags Foundation

Norgethistle

The line that stood out to me was the development of the old South terracing. I really hope this isn't another gimmick along the lines of gnomes we had previously.

Developing the ground is down the list of priorities however, with the clamour for standing areas in recent years throughout football in this country, returning it back to open standing terracing like it was before shouldnt cost a great deal surely. Couple of bags of cement and a few safety barriers.

Edited by MonehJags

6 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The line that stood out to me was the development of the old South terracing. I really hope this isn't another gimmick along the lines of gnomes we had previously.

Developing the ground is down the list of priorities however, with the clamour for standing areas in recent years throughout football in this country, returning it back to open standing terracing like it was before shouldnt cost a great deal surely. Couple of bags of cement and a few safety barriers.

It might not cost a great deal of money but as you say it’s down the list of priorities. And it doesn’t sound like we can afford it, plus it’s doubtful it will generate new revenue, rather it might simply mean some folk use it (on a dry day) instead of whatever part of the ground they use today.

The stadium is a real challenge, too big for our needs, only busy/full when the OF come calling and that means the home support get shifted elsewhere, an ageing main stand and a bing. Good luck to anyone in finding a workable solution. 

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

This line caught my eye. Strengthening the playing squad is what you would expect but what's being looked at in the management?

• Working to ensure the management and playing squad are capable of a sustained push for promotion this season

We are actively looking at alternative options to develop the old south terracing. - this part caught my Eye ? 

Not what I view as a priority ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Does the admin burden sound right to you. There are already people in the portacabin dealing with tickets and doing in person sales for home supporters. And if we are looking at revenue streams, it is an obvious one. Why wait till the summer ! I know that I won’t go to away games if there is no in person gate. 

I've said before personally that I'm sceptical it makes a huge difference to the admin burden for the reasons you state. You can rest assured that when these aspects of the match-day experience are being looked at again, TJF will make sure these questions are part of the discussion.

In terms of timing this is purely one of immediate priorities. I think the Club should do some data work on away attendances and work out what impact a move to ticketed-only has had. However, you'll appreciate with the recent changes, some things are more urgent and pressing than others.

We've always believed that the fan ownership community should be about the wider fan experience throughout Scotland, not just for Thistle fans, though, and I agree we need to make sure our away fan offering maximises both revenue and match-day experience.

I hope that provides some reassurance.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I've said before personally that I'm sceptical it makes a huge difference to the admin burden for the reasons you state. You can rest assured that when these aspects of the match-day experience are being looked at again, TJF will make sure these questions are part of the discussion.

In terms of timing this is purely one of immediate priorities. I think the Club should do some data work on away attendances and work out what impact a move to ticketed-only has had. However, you'll appreciate with the recent changes, some things are more urgent and pressing than others.

We've always believed that the fan ownership community should be about the wider fan experience throughout Scotland, not just for Thistle fans, though, and I agree we need to make sure our away fan offering maximises both revenue and match-day experience.

I hope that provides some reassurance.

Ok - this maybe an oversimplification. The turnstiles are open about an hour prior to kickoff and say for 1/2 an hour after. Allowing an additional hour for set up and shut down, you need someone for 2 to 3 hours at say £10/hour. You only need 2 walk up tickets and you’ve broken even. Am I missing something significant do you think ? I am sure there are more pressing things, but if this is an easy win, it shouldn’t be put off.

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

I'd like to see the South End bulldozed and an non tiered standing area at pitch level introduced. Judging by our recent trip up north I'm sure this would appeal to Cove Rangers supporters.

Alternatively how about a totally uncovered end, criss-crossed with a sort of series of irrigation channels? This should prove popular with Morton fans, especially when it's pissing down. Toilets could be sited about a few minutes walk away, which would add a certain je ne sais quoi ambience, Cappielow style.  

I know i am the exception, but i have never used a smart phone and have no intention of getting one anytime soon.

I haven't been to an away game for a few years now but if i had to buy a ticket before going to the ground i would just not go.

For cup games not covered by season ticket at Firhill i use the buy a ticket on the day option at the JHS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Ok - this maybe an oversimplification. The turnstiles are open about an hour prior to kickoff and say for 1/2 an hour after. Allowing an additional hour for set up and shut down, you need someone for 2 to 3 hours at say £10/hour. You only need 2 walk up tickets and you’ve broken even. Am I missing something significant do you think ? I am sure there are more pressing things, but if this is an easy win, it shouldn’t be put off.

To emphasise, I agree with you that the reasons for not doing it appear tenuous, but equally yes the above is an oversimplification in some respects.

One of the main advantages of pre-match online purchases is that it's much easier for the Club to track away sales before the game (and to judge, for example, whether a particular away support warrants the opening of the Main Stand, or merely a section of the Jackie Husband Stand). That significantly impacts several aspects of match-day expenditure (think lighting, stewarding, catering etc).

Also, ticket arrangements can work both ways in terms of incentives. If you've already bought a ticket on Tuesday and it's pissing it down on Saturday you'll probably still turn up because you've already paid your money. If you have a PATG option, you might put off deciding whether to travel from Kirkcaldy until the Saturday morning, and then decide not to go. This can as easily cancel out the extra revenue as the people you encourage to go to games by making other purchase options available, and is why the Club should rely on some proper data on the impact of the recent shift to see if it really has saved money. It may, as I've suggested earlier, that more measured and reliable comparisons can be made in the close season.

If you're offering a PATG option, you're doing it for the entire away support, not just those who wouldn't otherwise go. So it's the admin burden of serving, on a matchday (at our level) anything up to 500 people, not the handful of people who might have been put off by no PATG option. So it's probably not "hire one person for 3 hours". It's probably needing at least 3-4 and possibly more people, especially if and when the Main Stand, rather than the Jackie Husband Stand, is being used. If you offer a cash option at the turnstile itself, it also introduces cash handling challenges that don't currently exist. Those things all have to be weighed-off against one another.

Again, I agree with you that the Club should, if possible, be offering a PATG (and cash) options for both home and away fans. I think that's the best way to make football more open and accessible to punters. But it's not as straightforward as "five extra punters covers costs". It's about how well the wider matchday operation works with the people they have.

If you were at the Queen's Park game on Monday, you'll know exactly what I mean.

10 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

To emphasise, I agree with you that the reasons for not doing it appear tenuous, but equally yes the above is an oversimplification in some respects.

One of the main advantages of pre-match online purchases is that it's much easier for the Club to track away sales before the game (and to judge, for example, whether a particular away support warrants the opening of the Main Stand, or merely a section of the Jackie Husband Stand). That significantly impacts several aspects of match-day expenditure (think lighting, stewarding, catering etc).

Also, ticket arrangements can work both ways in terms of incentives. If you've already bought a ticket on Tuesday and it's pissing it down on Saturday you'll probably still turn up because you've already paid your money. If you have a PATG option, you might put off deciding whether to travel from Kirkcaldy until the Saturday morning, and then decide not to go. This can as easily cancel out the extra revenue as the people you encourage to go to games by making other purchase options available, and is why the Club should rely on some proper data on the impact of the recent shift to see if it really has saved money. It may, as I've suggested earlier, that more measured and reliable comparisons can be made in the close season.

If you're offering a PATG option, you're doing it for the entire away support, not just those who wouldn't otherwise go. So it's the admin burden of serving, on a matchday (at our level) anything up to 500 people, not the handful of people who might have been put off by no PATG option. So it's probably not "hire one person for 3 hours". It's probably needing at least 3-4 and possibly more people, especially if and when the Main Stand, rather than the Jackie Husband Stand, is being used. If you offer a cash option at the turnstile itself, it also introduces cash handling challenges that don't currently exist. Those things all have to be weighed-off against one another.

Again, I agree with you that the Club should, if possible, be offering a PATG (and cash) options for both home and away fans. I think that's the best way to make football more open and accessible to punters. But it's not as straightforward as "five extra punters covers costs". It's about how well the wider matchday operation works with the people they have.

If you were at the Queen's Park game on Monday, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I wasn’t at QP as their decision to put a patg option was too late for me, as I had made other arrangements for the day. So, not sure what happened - but they should have anticipated a higher spur of the moment turnout for New Year games.
Anyway, it’s a diversion. I hope it is looked at in the close season. I think most people will still buy on line, but there are still people like me that hate it. It might only be a handful each week,but it is still lost revenue.

They will need to look at all the areas of raising funds                                                       club shop for a starter   the guy selling scarfs and banner  making a fortune at the entrance to macparland way 

On 1/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, 1876 said:

They will need to look at all the areas of raising funds                                                       club shop for a starter   the guy selling scarfs and banner  making a fortune at the entrance to macparland way 

Agreed. A club shop is a must and it's great fun, especially for youngsters to visit and spend some pocket money.

I'd hope they'd have some 'professional' assistants, as when I attended our club shop many years ago (was some tops and stuff in an office above the main stand), I was treated as if I was a massive inconvenience to the lady who really didn't want to let me in to the building.  

On 1/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, 1876 said:

Definitely, I have some Xmas cash to spend and thought last week that I would have spent some if we had a club shop open at Firhill.

Greaves is fine but not very practical unless you pass through the City Centre by public transport on a Saturday.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Greaves is fine but not very practical unless you pass through the City Centre by public transport on a Saturday.

It was the other way around for a while with that other lot operating out of Port Dundas. Practical only for private transport. I would think opening a Club shop on matchdays is the way to go. Always assuming it's cost effective but that's a big assumption.

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

Just received the regular online update from the Scottish Football Supporters Association and see that Sandy Fyfe (Chair of The Jags Foundation) has won the "Fan of the Year" Award for 2022.

Richly deserved. Well done Sandy, and good to see Thistle featuring in a Scotland-wide award.:fan:

Not sure how to link this, so here is the report:

Finally, our Fan of the Year for 2022 is Partick Thistle FC fan Sandy Fyfe. Sandy is the chair of the Jags Foundation and has played a key part in the journey of the club towards Community Ownership. Through difficult and turbulent times Sandy led the Jags Foundation in a campaign that will see genuine fan ownership realised and has united many stakeholders in the club in working together for a shared future. His role has been recognised by not just Partick Thistle fans but also by fans of other clubs as he stood firm to ensure that fans were properly considered. As one contributor said, “He deserves the Award as he played a blinder for the fans”.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 1876 said:

What's the age limit for joining     Tjf    hoping to get two grandson involved   13 and 17 at the moment  do we have a junior TJF  for younger supporters what's the lowest amount to pay to get them interested 

https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/sign-up/

Under 16s can't sign up as full members but can be Friends of the Foundation. There is a £1 per month category for the 1st year as well.

Edited by Fawlty Towers