The Jags Foundation

Norgethistle

I suspect it sounds more complicated than it actually will be in practice. 

If it passes, you end up with the Colin Weir shares staying in the same place. It's acknowledged that a trust structure is not suitable for participatory democracy, but the PTFC Trust becomes democratised via the democratic structure of its new corporate trustees - the Jags Trust and the Jags Foundation.  

So, fan ownership is exercised at grass roots level via those two bodies, and then implemented at PTFC Trust level.

While it's not how you would choose to start if you had a clean bit of paper, it seems to me to be an elegant solution to the key issues with the inherited position.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scotty said:

This could become so complicated it gets messy. On the face of it, if there is some decision "shareholders" need to make, TJF members won't have a say whereas TJT members will.

No that’s not correct because TJF members will be PTFC Trust beneficiaries.

Season ticket holders and any other categotries which are included as beneficiaries of PTFC Trust will also have a say.

But that includes TJF members.

I'm glad I'm not responsible for sorting this out. Good luck guys. :)

Point taken!

• 1 month later...

Just in case people have not received the e-mail (I had not):

3 d  · 
The PTFC Trust have sent all season ticket holders an email asking for a little information as we move along our fan ownership journey. Please check your inbox and junk folders and respond to our small survey.
If you have not received an email please send us your email address and name to [email protected] .

Just to give a bit of context here...

The PTFC Trust intends, as far as I understand it, to have a consultative vote to give democratic legitimacy to the revision/rewrite of the trust deed. Whilst such a vote (strictly legally) isn't needed, there is a recognition, and is part of the "roadmap" that the existing beneficiaries will approve the package of proposals to:

(a) expand the beneficiary base to include all ST holders, TJF members and TJT members

(b) appoint TJF and TJT as corporate trustees.

So I'd encourage anyone who has received that email to complete the survey, as this will help facilitate that vote. We originally suggested that would take place in April, but that deadline has slipped a little (we still expect it to take place but it depends on getting the "legals" finalised first so you'll actually have the text of what you're voting on).

Separately, becoming a corporate trustee means that TJF will have new responsibilities, and we intend to update our own articles of association to reflect this. The vote on that proposal will take place at our AGM, which is going to take place on Thursday 15th June.

If you're a ST holder but didn't get an email from the PTFC Trust earlier this week, get in touch with them at [email protected]. We want their data to be as complete as possible so all eligible fans get a say.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

• 1 month later...

A few updates from us in recent weeks worth just reminding folk here:

Members' Update on Fan Ownership legals process

All is progressing smoothly. We expect the PTFC Trust to hold a non-binding ballot of beneficiaries ahead of implementing the new Trust deed (which TJF board members have been working to support the drafting of).

TJF will circulate proposed changes to our own Articles of Association (to enable corporate trusteeship to work properly) at the end of May, for approval by members at our AGM on Thursday 15th June.

All going well, this should mean TJF formally becomes a corporate trustee in the summer. This will form the basis of proper fan ownership, and will allow us to work more closely on revamping the Trust-Club relationship to one that is fit for purpose.

U16 Memberships

TJF is launching, subject to member approval, non-voting junior memberships of the Foundation. We think this is a great way to get the next generation of Jags fans involved in the fan ownership journey. This requires member approval via changes to our Articles, so will be voted on at the AGM as part of the new package. All going well, these will be launched later in June.

Ticketing and Crowd Management Issues

A lot of members got in touch after Friday's game to express concerns about the ticketing arrangements and the events that took place shortly before the second-half. We issued an update on this on Saturday. We have been talking directly with Club Board members about this, communicated our concerns, and the Club has (in fairness to it) apologised for the ticketing side of this. It is currently investigating what went wrong and the stewarding/policing issues with a view to avoiding any repeat.

Conference League

We've received a lot of correspondence from members about the proposed Conference League, which would impose a new league consisting primarily of B-teams above the Highland and Lowland Leagues. Our initial view as a group, discussed last night at a TJF board meeting, is that the proposal should not proceed. We have various concerns about this, which you can read about here.

However, we are also a members' organisation, and the Club should act in any vote taking into account the wider views of our members and the fans. We're therefore launching a members' survey on the Conference League this evening. We will collate the responses, anonymise them, and provide a summary to the Club, to inform any decision that it might be asked by the SPFL to take in the coming weeks and months.

Thistle Pins

Check out our Twitter and Facebook later today for a teaser of the May Thistle Pin! Design to be revealed on Wednesday and on sale Thursday! There's some knobbly knees involved!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this in tabloid re Falkirk Fc and was not aware of such a scheme.  Given the loan is interest free and helps towards fan ownership would this be something of a potential for TJF to be considering?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10751075/falkirk-holyrood-scottish-government-loan-fans-bank-invest-shares/amp/

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Just saw this in tabloid re Falkirk Fc and was not aware of such a scheme.  Given the loan is interest free and helps towards fan ownership would this be something of a potential for TJF to be considering?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10751075/falkirk-holyrood-scottish-government-loan-fans-bank-invest-shares/amp/

This is interesting. I notice the annual amount being made available each year is quite low, and there is likely to be no shortage of competition for smaller amounts. I'm not sure how this scheme would work for a situation like Thistle, where more than 80% of the shares in the Club are already held by (ostensibly) fan controlled entities. It also looks as though whether any loan would be interest free depends very much on the individual circumstances.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

My reading is that this loan is to enable supporters to buy a stakeholding in the club. WE(PTFC supporters)ARE ALREADY MAJOR STAKEHOLDERS IN PARTICK THISTLE! So I do not think TJF are in the same position as Falkirk Supporters Society.

AGM Notice

TJF has given official notice of its 2023 Annual General Meeting. This will take place at Maryhill Burgh Halls at 7:45pm on Thursday 15th June. More details here: https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/notice-of-tjf-agm-2023/

TJF Director Elections

This morning, e-ballots were sent out to enable members to vote in the TJF director elections. If you were an active member at the start of the election period (i.e. as at Thursday 18th May) you will have the right to vote for up to three candidates out of the six who have put themselves forward.

If you cannot find the email from ChoiceVoting with the link to your e-ballot, get in touch at [email protected] and I'll investigate.

Members have until 10pm on Wednesday 14th June to cast their vote, and the results will be announced at the AGM.

Conference League Survey

373 members have already responded to the TJF Conference League survey. This closes tonight so use the link on Monday evening's reminder email to complete it if you haven't already.

We understand that the Club will be considering the formal proposal later this week, so we will make the results available to them as a matter of priority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

My reading is that this loan is to enable supporters to buy a stakeholding in the club. WE(PTFC supporters)ARE ALREADY MAJOR STAKEHOLDERS IN PARTICK THISTLE! So I do not think TJF are in the same position as Falkirk Supporters Society.

Ah ok.  UNDERSTOOD.  Was just putting an article and idea out into cyberspace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Yeah I hope those not elected stay involved and try again.

For obvious reasons, I can't endorse anyone as the returning officer...

But I will say, as a member, it has been very satisfying to see six candidates, each of which would bring something important to the table.

We will see in the next year or so that there are lots of ways to be involved with and driving forward the TJF mission. Being a director is just one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news to see a TJF office holder appointed to the PTFC board, hugely encouraging news.

Despite the sheer horror of the final twenty minutes of our season, and the subsequent financial sh*tstorm, I think the club is better placed than it has been in years. 

As someone who sits on a few voluntary boards, I know the time commitment involved, so huge thanks from this exile who isn’t able to be involved at a granular level. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Great news to see a TJF office holder appointed to the PTFC board, hugely encouraging news.

Despite the sheer horror of the final twenty minutes of our season, and the subsequent financial sh*tstorm, I think the club is better placed than it has been in years. 

As someone who sits on a few voluntary boards, I know the time commitment involved, so huge thanks from this exile who isn’t able to be involved at a granular level. 

Agree. I've mentioned a few times how much better and more timely the communications from the club are compared the the last shambles. Despite the way the season ended there is a real feeling of optimism about the way forward for the club.  I think we could be in for a few hard seasons but  we will come out stronger and better 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Agree. I've mentioned a few times how much better and more timely the communications from the club are compared the the last shambles. Despite the way the season ended there is a real feeling of optimism about the way forward for the club.  I think we could be in for a few hard seasons but  we will come out stronger and better 

Agree. A re set for the club. Build our foundations to create a stronger and more robust club to support.

Partick Thistle's financial woes and state of play explained | Glasgow Times

Both the club board – who assumed power in December after their predecessors resigned en masse in the face of growing pressure from supporters – and TJF are laying the blame for the debacle at the previous board’s door. Their successors argue that they inherited a financial mess and that the club hasn’t been running on a break-even basis. Jacqui Low, the previous chairman, has been approached for comment but declined.

I see she's been struck dumb again....  Thankfully we move onwards and upwards without her