Roughie OBE

jaggy

8 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

When the majority of the general public tire of the monarchy and cease to support it, then it could be on the downward spiral.  Surveys have shown that most support for it comes from the 65+ age group which is unsurprising.  But, that is of course, an ever-diminishing group. The young mainly tend to be disinterested or even against. A large number of the public are ambiguous-not particularly for or against, whilst a minority are definitely against. But,  on one thing, monarchists and republicans  are agreed-that is that the present monarch holds popularity that will not necessarily be given to her successor-her son Charles. Scandals have revolved around him and his brother Andrew over recent decades, and these have not ceased. The one affecting Andrew this year, will be one very hard to shake off. The phrase ‘annum horriblis’ entered the vocabulary precisely for these reasons. The royal family are often held up as being something ‘very special’, on a higher level than others. But, in recent times-they have been shown to be only too fallible, with ordinary human failings. And, ‘duty’ and ‘service’, two words often quoted when monarchy is mentioned,  have been clearly forgotten. At the moment, there ARE still more people across Britain who would say they support or don’t oppose the monarchy compared to those who reject it. But, crucially, these numbers have been changing and moving in the direction of opposition to monarchy over recent years. This could well continue, particularly as the monarchy will eventually lose its most popular asset. But, rather than being based around the current personalities, I myself am a republican because I believe in democracy, and accountability and am against the archaic notion of people being given power (and for life) and privilege based on who their father or mother happened to be. Those who lead us should be judged, based on their character, skills and abilities and elected. If we believe in equality, opportunities for advancement should be open to all, regardless of background, not just a select elite! As for President Thatcher or Blair, this old chestnut is always trotted out by monarchists. If the people could choose their own head of state, there could be many suitable candidates and some might not even have a political background at all. Crucially, if we didn’t like them, we could vote them out. If you end up with an unsuitable monarch, that is NOT an option. There are many excellent elected Heads of State in other countries who do a good job. Why not in Britain? Why can’t we throw off our archaic, imperialist, colonial, undemocratic  past and move into the modern world? Deference, patronage and judgements based on class and elitism, should be a thing of the past.

I agree with you that after the Queen, the appeal of the monarchy will diminish, certainly globally, if not in the UK. Where I disagree is that a Republic of Great Britain will be any better a place than the UK.

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Free are one of my favourite bands and I have a lot of their recordings and that of Paul Rogers and Paul Kossoff. If you’re interested in rock music, you might like “The History Of Rock Music In 500 Songs”. This is a 500-episode blog that the person compiling it is devoting approx. 10 years to completing. All the episodes are/will be available on Spotify, to which I have a free subscription (incl. adverts) You can buy the £10 a month, Premium sub. (Without adverts) but I don’t mind putting up with the ads. to hear the content on here free. The programmes started back in the (I think) the 1930s, moving through each decade until now, we’re at around 1967/68. We’re on episode 148 or 149 and it is a work in progress-he makes new ones as he goes along. It will likely finish in the late 1990s or early 2000s. All the main bands, singers of the 60s I liked have been covered, though some bands get more than one episode-the Beatles will get eight, he said. Eg Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane, Everly Bros, Elvis, Shadows, Beatles, Searchers, Kinks, Who, Lovin’ Spoonful, Byrds, Stones, Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, Zappa, Supremes, Four Tops etc etc The episodes started about half an hour each one, but more recently have grown to 90 mins! They can be very detailed/ comprehensive, but if he’s covering stuff in which you’re not interested, you can just move it on. 

Sounds interesting.

Wasn't there a tv programme that kind of combined football highlights and pop music of the day, from the 60s and 70s?

Don't remember if it was Scotland or Britain. I only saw a couple of them, but liked what I saw.

16 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Sounds interesting.

Wasn't there a tv programme that kind of combined football highlights and pop music of the day, from the 60s and 70s?

Don't remember if it was Scotland or Britain. I only saw a couple of them, but liked what I saw.

Good question. Music & football often fit. Remember the film about Zidane that used a soundtrack by Mogwai?

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Sounds interesting.

I think that you are recalling Match of the Seventies presented by Denis Waterman

17 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I think that you are recalling Match of the Seventies presented by Denis Waterman

I think I was thinking of a specifically Scottish one, but your reply and that of Denis make it clear that there were several programmes, and I probably saw at least some of all of them. Liked them all, though it would be interesting to look again and see what political messages were being pushed!

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

My God Sandy - is that not the most Cringe worthy TV Spectacle ever to grace our Screens - I had forgotten all about it :clapping: 

I don't think I saw that, but I just KNOW it must get the mostest ever Cringeworthy Award!

What about the best one-off TV Spectacles?

I still absolutely adore Peter Kay's "Britain's Got The Pop Factor." I've seen it several times, and always pick up something new and hilarious that I missed before.

And although I was only 6 years old, I remember the special atmosphere surrounding the Bruce Forsyth and Norman Wisdom special at the London Palladium in 1961 (for younger viewers, check it out on Youtube!). 

Live Aid (1985) has got to be up there too.