Roughie OBE

jaggy

56 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I am with you. The Order of the British Empire, should’ve been confined to history long ago, along  with  MBE, CBE, knighthoods etc. I’d have been more impressed with AR if he’d turned it down, as others have done in the past. Personal view.

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My feelings too. Except I suppose turning it down can be seen by some to be a political gesture. Putting that aside the questions I'd ask would be why wasn't Roughy given the award 30-40 years ago? And if he wasn't worthy of an award then what's Alan done since that makes him merit one now?

For services to broadcasting. :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

When will you drop your title Isobel? A little bit hypocritical using a title .
Congratulations to Roughie  on a richly deserved M.B.E.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Apparently it is for charity work in addition to his football career.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The vast majority of the Queens birthday honours go to ordinary people. It’s just the celebrities that get in the news

Yeah, and the ordinary people are put in their place, precisely as "ordinary people." No knighthoods, damehoods, or whatever for "ordinary people'. Those are reserved for the superior classes, the rich and famous. The ordinary people might (if they're lucky) get a mention in a wee list somewhere in an insignificant local newspaper, maybe even photographed in the presence (somewhere) of the Queen's Lieutenant (or something) who is busy mosying up to somebody with more potential influence.

Check on eBay: you can get some of those "Empire" gongs for peanuts.

It's all sh*te.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yeah, and the ordinary people are put in their place, precisely as "ordinary people." No knighthoods, damehoods, or whatever for "ordinary people'. Those are reserved for the superior classes, the rich and famous. The ordinary people might (if they're lucky) get a mention in a wee list somewhere in an insignificant local newspaper, maybe even photographed in the presence (somewhere) of the Queen's Lieutenant (or something) who is busy mosying up to somebody with more potential influence.

Check on eBay: you can get some of those "Empire" gongs for peanuts.

It's all sh*te.

Fair enough - you don’t like the establishment. However, I am pretty sure the “ordinary people” are delighted to be recognised for what they do out of the “ordinary”. 

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Fair enough - you don’t like the establishment. However, I am pretty sure the “ordinary people” are delighted to be recognised for what they do out of the “ordinary”. 

I find the whole system an embarrassing, class ridden throwback and handing out awards named after something that doesn't exist except in the minds of Daily Mail readers and Nigel Farage sadly pathetic. It wouldn't be overly complex to modernise the honours and recognise the contribution of individuals to society with a single ctizenship award.

It will never happen although I wonder what might happen in an independent Scotland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

I find the whole system an embarrassing, class ridden throwback and handing out awards named after something that doesn't exist except in the minds of Daily Mail readers and Nigel Farage sadly pathetic. It wouldn't be overly complex to modernise the honours and recognise the contribution of individuals to society with a single ctizenship award.

It will never happen although I wonder what might happen in an independent Scotland.

The honours system as it stands still treats us all as subjects of the current monarch. We definately need one which recognises us as citizens.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Some ordinary people, in fact probably most, fall into the trap category you mention.

Personally, I'd love the opportunity to be recognized for turning one down, but that ain't gonna happen. :)

In fact, they don't even publish the names of refuseniks, out of embarrassment.

I think we would be hard pressed to find a society where some section of it doesn’t hold a privileged position, even in the remotest villages.

I guess everybody that is opposed to the Royal family and the honours system politely declined the extra days holiday this year.

I am not fussed about the Royal family one way or another. I just don’t get the angst that some are displaying here as that establishment would be replaced by something else.

39 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think we would be hard pressed to find a society where some section of it doesn’t hold a privileged position, even in the remotest villages.

I guess everybody that is opposed to the Royal family and the honours system politely declined the extra days holiday this year.

I am not fussed about the Royal family one way or another. I just don’t get the angst that some are displaying here as that establishment would be replaced by something else.

As legally, public holidays can count as part of annual holiday entitlement, many didn't have that option.