Pre-season Friendly

CCjag

42 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I recall in the 60s and 70s, Scottish clubs always used to arrange pre-season friendlies against English clubs. This meant that, though these weren’t true competitive games with something at stake, at least they had the element of ‘Scotland v England’ about them. Thistle also arranged games against a foreign team too, from time to time back then. I ‘get it’ that we’re second tier at the moment, and money is tighter etc, but if you’re hoping for fans to turn up, rather than it being purely a testing ground for players, tactics etc, you have to give them something they actually want to watch.

The two seasons start at very different times so that rules out games of old against English teams at most levels. When the English are doing their pre season we’re  firmly entrenched in the group stages of the league cup. 

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Why does the League cup have to start so early? Back in the day, the League cup sections used to get underway in August.  I know there are all these European qualifiers nowadays for the select few but, if it’s ‘too many fixtures’ , perhaps this is yet another argument for a 16-team top and second tier.

League Cup was brought forward to reduce pre season friendlies so crowds would be higher and players perform at a higher level

36 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

League Cup was brought forward to reduce pre season friendlies so crowds would be higher and players perform at a higher level

iirc the same argument was put forward when the nations leagues were introduced by FIFA. More competitive internationals and fewer friendlies with the added bonus of an additional route into Euros 

Edited by fifexile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Nations Cup has been a big improvement IMHO

Agreed LLD . I would rather watch competitive games either domestic or international. I think the issue that concerns me is the number of games players are expected to play in a season (IMO driven by the money gods!) But that is a whole new thread...

2 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

All for that but it's up to the SPFL to up the status of the competition. Otherwise too many clubs will use the fixtures as glorified friendlies and we're back where we started. Two minds about the bonus point penalty shoot outs as well. Gimmicks tend to devalue a product and I feel there's a danger of turning off sponsors when we should be attracting them. Oh, and doing away with the regionalisation, during the present economic climate is just sheer mental. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Why does the League cup have to start so early? Back in the day, the League cup sections used to get underway in August.  I know there are all these European qualifiers nowadays for the select few but, if it’s ‘too many fixtures’ , perhaps this is yet another argument for a 16-team top and second tier.

Why does the league cup have to start. Period.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, flashman said:

We did okay the season we won the ARR Craib Cup at Firhill, set the tone for the season :fan:

Good point caller. That mini tournament was fun. I’m now have a craibing for that kind of thing, hoping it might return to ease my hunger.

35 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I used to go to all Thistle pre-season friendlies and after coming down here did the same with a couple of teams. Now, I don’t bother. There’s much more use of substitutes with, sometimes, virtually the whole first half eleven being changed. Results are usually unimportant, which means there’s little to get enthused or care about. What do others think?

It's now a good few years since I've been to really enjoyable away friendlies. Thinking of the likes of Blyth, Durham (v Gateshead), Glentoran & Fleetwood. Since then away days have featured Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath (v Hearts), Grangemouth, Kelty, East Kilbride.  Used to be common enough for some Jags fans to take their better halves with them and maybe stay a couple of nights, have a sort of mini break. On that subject I'd strongly advise against taking a staycation in Alloa or Kelty.

I still don't mind going to friendlies. A chance to meet up with other fans, play "guess the trialist" and even see weird things like John Baird score a goal for us and Henoc Mukendi try to play football. 

• Haha 1