Fixtures out

elevenone

Couple of things I notice. There appears to be lots of consecutive away & home games (4 away doublers & 5 home doublers). Suppose that could be awkward for any fan who works alternate Saturdays but I just find it rather strange. More relevant methinks is our Xmas/New Year fixtures look a good bit kinder this time. No longish travelling after Cove away on the 3rd Dec till Dundee on 14th Jan. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Couple of things I notice. There appears to be lots of consecutive away & home games (4 away doublers & 5 home doublers). Suppose that could be awkward for any fan who works alternate Saturdays but I just find it rather strange. More relevant methinks is our Xmas/New Year fixtures look a good bit kinder this time. No longish travelling after Cove away on the 3rd Dec till Dundee on 14th Jan. 

I find that very strange too. I wonder what the reason is

I can recall a season when our first league game was away against Dundee (I think that Alex Rae was manager). We won 1-0 thanks to Mark Roberts. Then for good measure we went back there in the midweek and won again (3-1 I think). Darren Brady scored with a Cantona-esque delicate lob, Ian Maxwell fluked in a cross, and Scott Boyd might have headed in the other (or was it Billy Gibson?). All this is based on memory, and has not been checked, so the recollection may be imperfect.

My main point is that history tells us that we have nothing to fear. 

13 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I can recall a season when our first league game was away against Dundee (I think that Alex Rae was manager). We won 1-0 thanks to Mark Roberts. Then for good measure we went back there in the midweek and won again (3-1 I think). Darren Brady scored with a Cantona-esque delicate lob, Ian Maxwell fluked in a cross, and Scott Boyd might have headed in the other (or was it Billy Gibson?). All this is based on memory, and has not been checked, so the recollection may be imperfect.

My main point is that history tells us that we have nothing to fear. 

I remember we beat them twice away very early on in a season. Same season i think that Alex Rae got sent off in both games at Firhill.

That was before Ian Maxwell was a Jags player. I mind tho' the goal he "looped" over Big Rab Douglas at Dens. That was a wee bit more recent.

11 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Did Paul Cairney get a hat-trick at Dens, or was it East End Park?

At Dens towards the end of the season. I was in an over-righteous mood about some injustice and stayed away from Dens that day. I rarely missed a game back then and immediately regretted my decision. Can't even mind what our grievance was with Dundee that time. There's been so many before and since:)

Always good memories playing dundee. Pumping them at Firhill 6-3, after Gerry got pole-axed on the way to Gilzean heading them in front, to Gerry scoring the best Scottish Cup goal ever up there, when they had the bonnetti brothers in charge. Nothing to fear I say.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I remember we beat them twice away very early on in a season. Same season i think that Alex Rae got sent off in both games at Firhill.

That was before Ian Maxwell was a Jags player. I mind tho' the goal he "looped" over Big Rab Douglas at Dens. That was a wee bit more recent.

You are right about Maxi. I was conflating different memories, as we must have won two separate early season midweek cup ties at Dens in different seasons. Therefore without checking further and without a shadow of a doubt, I can now say that the three scorers in the particular game I was remembering were Darren Brady, Scott Boyd and Billy Gibson.

The more I think about it, the more league wins at Dens come back to mind. Couple of random examples:

• Midweek 2-0 with Ade Azeez scoring his first league goal, and then laying on Kris Doolan.
  • 1-0 after we were given a dodgy penalty when Chris Erskine was "brought down" by Rab Douglas, although Squiddy may have fallen over his own feet. Douglas was sent off and the penalty was scored. Is that the same game as when Scott Fox had to go off injured and was replaced by a very young Ryan Scully who kept Dundee at bay (sadly it did not count as his only clean sheet for Thistle as he only played part of the game)? Indeed, going back to the 2-0 game mentioned above, Ryan was in goals from the start, but had to go off injured with a few minutes to go and was replaced by Thomas Stuckmann

Now I am on a roll I am going to throw in the last regular game of the relegation season. We had to win at Dens Park to be certain of avoiding automatic relegation, and Kris Doolan did the business.

NOTHING TO FEAR!!!:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Did we no have a home game v them where essentially our fans contributed to Alex Rae getting sent off such was his tilt.

Yes. One of the games I mentioned earlier, methinks. As I mind Rae was player/manager of Dundee, picked up a yellow really early, then went on to score. His celebrations weren't directed towards his own fans but instead aimed towards us in the JHS, who had rightfully been giving him stick after his first yellow. V sign to JHS, JHS linesman to Ref, 2nd yellow, offski, we overturn score and go on to win game. Maybe others will have better or more accurate memory.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes. One of the games I mentioned earlier, methinks. As I mind Rae was player/manager of Dundee, picked up a yellow really early, then went on to score. His celebrations weren't directed towards his own fans but instead aimed towards us in the JHS, who had rightfully been giving him stick after his first yellow. V sign to JHS, JHS linesman to Ref, 2nd yellow, offski, we overturn score and go on to win game. Maybe others will have better or more accurate memory.

Ah that does ring a bell.  Am sure I was in JH stand that day too as per my usual JL.  Was it first half red?

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I remember this very well. What I remember most was how the atmosphere changed from the usual despair at conceding to an immediate celebratory mood despite having just gone a goal down

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

An utterly glorious one, correctly remembered.

I watched the Club's official highlights on QuickTime player of that game in the weeks after several times because the red card was very ******* funny.

After Rae was sent off as a player,  he tried to come back to the pitch side to coach the team as manager, but the referee despatched him to the stand. All added to the hilarity.

My daughter had a primary school assignment that involved taking a story from a newspaper. She found a report of the game and was able to supplement this from her eye witness knowledge. I think her piece had a tabloid style heading something like “No Rae of Sunshine at Firhill”.

Said daughter now on the Board of the Jags Foundation!

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

After Rae was sent off as a player,  he tried to come back to the pitch side to coach the team as manager, but the referee despatched him to the stand. All added to the hilarity.

My daughter had a primary school assignment that involved taking a story from a newspaper. She found a report of the game and was able to supplement this from her eye witness knowledge. I think her piece had a tabloid style heading something like “No Rae of Sunshine at Firhill”.

Said daughter now on the Board of the Jags Foundation!

Belter Alan, Heather has done well for herself since being in the shadow of Armand One! 

• Like 2

Only good fun as it was on the back of that Rae Day but the corresponding fixture later that season at Firhill produced a good laugh as well. With his team trailing to us 2-1, Dundee's chances of grabbing a late equaliser all but evaporated when Rae managed to receive his second yellow in the 90th minute. I wouldn't really want to draw any conclusions but something in the back of mind reckons Alex Rae wasn't exactly cut out to be a player/manager. 

Correct M'lady.

Shameless plug for "You Couldn't Make It Up" extract from The Thistle Archive...

Ah, the witty banter of the football supporter!  The 2-1 defeat of Dundee at Firhill on 14/4/2007 was also memorable for the red card for Dundee's Alex Rae. Always a ready target. He claimed afterwards that he had made just 3 tackles and had been booked for two to them. This cut little slack with the Firhill faithful and the "Glasgow Herald" reporter was able to repeat one of the more printable taunts "Even yer maw an' yer da' hate ye!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1