New strip

Thistle88

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much the club actually makes from the selling of a top? Is the 3rd strip the clubs idea or O'Neills? Do Greaves get a cut?

I'm in New Zealand and try and do my bit to support the club where I can with purchase of tops and leisurewear though the Joma range didn't see much cash heading back to Scotland. The O'Neills range has been far better and I've had a few comments in the gym regarding some of the tops from WTF are you wearing to that's smart what is it, though  trying to explain Partick Thistle and football in general to a rugby fixated country isn't the easiest.

1 hour ago, Deco City Jag said:

Does anyone know how much the club actually makes from the selling of a top? Is the 3rd strip the clubs idea or O'Neills? Do Greaves get a cut?

I'm in New Zealand and try and do my bit to support the club where I can with purchase of tops and leisurewear though the Joma range didn't see much cash heading back to Scotland. The O'Neills range has been far better and I've had a few comments in the gym regarding some of the tops from WTF are you wearing to that's smart what is it, though  trying to explain Partick Thistle and football in general to a rugby fixated country isn't the easiest.

Everyone will get a 'cut' from the sale of Thistle merchandise. 

I'm not an expert on retail sales but take a top on sale with Greaves for £50 as an example (figures are simply guesswork). The manufacturer will make and distribute the top for say £30. Add on say £5 paid to Thistle so Greaves would pay £35 giving them £15 per top to cover their costs.

I doubt Thistle are going to sell enough merchandise to be able to demand up front payments or big royalties.  Added to that, the big kit suppliers (Adidas, Nike, Puma) want to shift huge numbers so won't want to offer bespoke kits to smaller clubs like ours so we tend to go to smaller, niche firms like O'Neills which until recently were only known for making kit for gaelic games in Ireland.

I reckon the stuff they produce for Thistle is as good as anything we have had since the Puma days and a far cry from the TTL stuff.

Edited by fifexile
Typo

Apart from marketing concerns O'Neils won't give much of a toss, which of their merchandise sells. They'll only really be concerned with Greaves overall purchase of their products.   I'd imagine as is normal in wholesale to retail transaction Greaves will set us an over-rider. Put simply we'll be on either a percentage or flat rate for each purchase. If however we exceed a certain monetary/volume target over a certain timescale (usually 12 months) we'd receive a pre-agreed bonus. Either that or less likely a sliding scale of targets, with our percentage profit increasing after reaching each target. 

What's almost certainly true will be the more Jags merchandise sold over a minimum will result on more favourable profit for us. 

At the risk of embarrassing myself (again),  I thought I'd already posted this, but I can't see it.

So, the crux was a project (for whoever might be interested) about all of Thistle's main shirt sponsors: who, when, why, for how long, and any aftermath.

No doubt some of those companies continue to thrive, whereas others will have gone to the great accounts department in the sky.

Could be entertaining (1st) and informative (2nd?).

38 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I follow non-league these days and have been to see Bradford (Park Avenue) and FC Halifax a lot. Mainly though, I’ve been concentrating on Guiseley (pronounced Guyslee ) and attending their home games in the last few seasons. I think I’ve seen Chorley (love the cakes!) but I’ve definitely seen ‘Stanley’ a good few times. Particular memory is seeing Bradford City v Accrington Stanley, with Thistle ‘great’ Kenny Arthur playing in goal for Stanley. He had a good game too. Love Non-League-it even has its own weekly newspaper and the atmosphere is usually good with exciting games to watch and at a decent skills level. Unfortunately Guiseley were relegated in the final seconds of their final match last season. Hope they can do better in 2022/23, and crowds stay up (average-approx. 700).

English Premier League football leaves me cold. Non-League is a far better experience