Partick Thistle WFC Season 2022-2023

Tom Hosie

That's the fixtures for season 2022-2023, the first under the auspices of the SPFL, released for the Women's team.

League season starts on Sunday August 7th away to Hearts. First home game is the following Sunday against Celtic.

Before then we have 3 pre-season friendlies as per below. All are at Petershill Park and all have 1.30pm kick offs. Entry for these games is via donation:

10/7: East Fife

24/7: Kilmarnock

31/7: Boroughmuir Thistle

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 2

Considering the Thistle team only joined the league at the 11th hour last season they acquitted themselves very well and had a great run to the Scottish Cup semi final. Going to be very tough against the other 3 Glasgow team ams and Hearts. Hopefully  another cup run or two and a better league position. 

• 2 weeks later...

Season tickets for the upcoming season are now available.

£60 for an adult ticket but just £40 if you are also a season ticket holder for the men's team.

Under 16s go free.

For those interested we have our first pre-season friendly on Sunday at Petershill Park against East Fife. Kick-off 1.30 and admission by donation.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 1

We had our first pre-season friendly this afternoon running out easy 8-0 winners against East Fife. 

A double each for new signings Kaitlyn Canavan and Cara Henderson. Jordan McLintock, another sumner signing helped herself to a goal as did Taylor Hamill with East Fife also contributing a couple of own goals. 

There was an obvious gulf in class but the girls, who have upped their training sessions to three evenings a week, looked really fit. 

Positive afternoon. Tougher tests ahead. 

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

We had our first pre-season friendly this afternoon running out easy 8-0 winners against East Fife. 

A double each for new signings Kaitlyn Canavan and Cara Henderson. Jordan McLintock, another sumner signing helped herself to a goal as did Taylor Hamill with East Fife also contributing a couple of own goals. 

There was an obvious gulf in class but the girls, who have upped their training sessions to three evenings a week, looked really fit. 

Only 8? Graham out! McCall in!

On 7/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, Tom Hosie said:

Looks like England’s women decided to use that match as a template for their victory over Norway earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

The new SWPL season starts on Sunday. With that in mind I thought it might be of some use to those interested in the team just to provide an update on where we are at as we sit on the cusp of a new season.

The following players, and their previous club, have been added to the squad:

·       Claire Adams – Motherwell

·       Kaitlyn Canavan – Glasgow Women

·       Cara Henderson – Glasgow Women

·       Beth McKay - Hearts

·       Jordan McLintock - Motherwell

·       Leah Robinson – Glasgow Women

In addition to those players, and as well as retaining the bulk of last season’s squad many of whom had interest from elsewhere, Rosie Slater; who was on loan from Rangers last season is now a fully fledged Partick Thistle player.

Efforts at further recruitment are ongoing.

Home fixtures will be played at Petershill Park (30 Adamswell Street, Glasgow, G21 4DD). There’s plenty of parking on site and both Barnhill and Springburn train stations are just short walks from ground. Of the two, Barnhill is probably the closest. The following Firstbus services all pass close to the ground 8, 57, 57A 87,88A, 88C, 89, 90 as do McGill’s services 71, 71A and 72.

Pie stall is generally open, and the pies are good. Especially the steak pies.

We start the new season on Sunday (August 7th) where we ended the last season, away to Hearts at the Oriam ,and our first home game is the following Sunday (August 14th) when we play Celtic.

Season tickets are great value at:

Adults: £60

Men’s Season Ticket Holders: £40

Under 16s: FREE

You can purchase your season ticket via the link below:

PTWFC 22/23 Season Ticket | Partick Thistle FC (ptfc.co.uk)

Notwithstanding the ladies, with virtually no preparation for the SWPL, did very well last season. I did feel the squad (watched highlights only) could have been fitter with some players carrying a bit to much weight. 

Similar to the men's squad which I think we all agree is better balanced and stronger than last year it looks to me that Brien Graham has achieved the same with the ladies squad.

Albeit East Fife were well below the standard of our ladies , our  players looked a lot fitter, showed very good technique and skill on what looked a firey playing surface  and showed great awareness and composure.

Goal number 6 was for me the pick of the bunch with a move involving 5 or 6 players, crisp and accurate passing and good running off the ball.

I think the ladies can look forward to a very positive season.

All the best.

40 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Notwithstanding the ladies, with virtually no preparation for the SWPL, did very well last season. I did feel the squad (watched highlights only) could have been fitter with some players carrying a bit to much weight. 

Similar to the men's squad which I think we all agree is better balanced and stronger than last year it looks to me that Brien Graham has achieved the same with the ladies squad.

Albeit East Fife were well below the standard of our ladies , our  players looked a lot fitter, showed very good technique and skill on what looked a firey playing surface  and showed great awareness and composure.

Goal number 6 was for me the pick of the bunch with a move involving 5 or 6 players, crisp and accurate passing and good running off the ball.

I think the ladies can look forward to a very positive season.

All the best.

The level of preparation this season, compared to last is like night and day due, in no small measure, to the fact that the season had actually started when we received our elevation to SWPL1 

Overall though the level of professionalism in all areas of the club has really stepped up a notch. As it has to if the club is to continue to grow and compete in the top league. 

The players now train three nights a week and to say they had a tough pre-season is an understatement. The result is a group of players as fit looking as we've ever had. 

That's no guarantee of success of course with standards constantly rising. I like to think that our own standards are rising at a significant pace to more than meet the demands ahead. 

Jags fans buying season tickets, paying on the gate or getting involved with various sponsorship opportunities really would make a difference. 

If anyone is interested in getting involved with sponsorship then ping me a message. 

I’m glad to see The Jags Foundation supporting the Woman’s team this year. 

As part of our sponsorship package, we will be eligible to nominate matchday mascots at the Motherwell (Sunday 11th September) and Dundee United (Sunday 16th October) fixtures. If you know a young Thistle fan who would like to take up this opportunity, you can nominate them for either or both matches by emailing [email protected].

The set up over in Norway is phenomenal for the woman’s game but this has taken investment and more importantly engagement over a long time, Scotland is further behind in that journey but the momentum is gaining.  The Woman’s World Cup and our games last season has shown the Woman’s game is every bit as exciting and physical as a lot of the mens game, without some of the nonsense the bigger egos bring. 

CF4073F4-11DA-465B-A671-EEF319553508.png

It was disappointing to start the season with defeat against Hearts yesterday. Especially since we led at the interval with a goal on her debut from Cara Henderson after a good performance in the first 45 minutes. 

We were undone really in the first 15 minutes of the second half. In no time we were 2-1 down, then missed a penalty to get back level before conceeding a penalty of our own that Hearts scored. 

You couldn't in all honesty claim that Hearts didn't deserve their win but equally you couldn't say that there was much between the sides. Georgia Timms, who Hearts signed from Lewes in the summer, scored a hat-trick and was excellent. We had five missing (four with suspensions carried forward from last season and one unavailable due to work committments). 

Three, I think, of that five are back for next Sunday's game against Celtic. You need only look at the scores elsewhere yesterday to see how tough that will be. I don't think Rangers hitting double figures against Glasgow Women was that much of a surprise but Celtic hitting 9 against Hibs was, to me at least. 

There's clearly is a gap between the 'big three' and the rest but that's not to say that others aren't striving to improve standards too, Hearts signing the aforementioned Timms from a good standard in England is an example of that. The financial muscle that the 'big three' have allows them to do so at a much quicker pace than the rest and in different markets and the gap just seems to get bigger. Is that good for the league? I don't know but don't be kidded into thinking that standards across the board aren't rising. Ours certainly are. 

Anyway, here's the highlights from yesterday and to answer an earlier question the intent is to still live stream our home games. 

Hearts v Partick Thistle - Match Highlights - 7th August 2022 - YouTube

3 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

It was disappointing to start the season with defeat against Hearts yesterday. Especially since we led at the interval with a goal on her debut from Cara Henderson after a good performance in the first 45 minutes. 

We were undone really in the first 15 minutes of the second half. In no time we were 2-1 down, then missed a penalty to get back level before conceeding a penalty of our own that Hearts scored. 

You couldn't in all honesty claim that Hearts didn't deserve their win but equally you couldn't say that there was much between the sides. Georgia Timms, who Hearts signed from Lewes in the summer, scored a hat-trick and was excellent. We had five missing (four with suspensions carried forward from last season and one unavailable due to work committments). 

Three, I think, of that five are back for next Sunday's game against Celtic. You need only look at the scores elsewhere yesterday to see how tough that will be. I don't think Rangers hitting double figures against Glasgow Women was that much of a surprise but Celtic hitting 9 against Hibs was, to me at least. 

There's clearly is a gap between the 'big three' and the rest but that's not to say that others aren't striving to improve standards too, Hearts signing the aforementioned Timms from a good standard in England is an example of that. The financial muscle that the 'big three' have allows them to do so at a much quicker pace than the rest and in different markets and the gap just seems to get bigger. Is that good for the league? I don't know but don't be kidded into thinking that standards across the board aren't rising. Ours certainly are. 

Anyway, here's the highlights from yesterday and to answer an earlier question the intent is to still live stream our home games. 

Hearts v Partick Thistle - Match Highlights - 7th August 2022 - YouTube

Yeah, that tarts girl managed to outpace the Jags defenders on several occasions. Despite the defeat, it looked like we were also putting together quit a number of slick passing moves throughout, more so than last season. Next Sunday should be tough, but we've already been there; it's not that kind of match that will define our season.

It's always disappointing to lose and it was no different today but there was much to be proud about following today's 2-0 lost to Celtic. 

There was never the remotest chance of Celtic repeating their 9-0 opening day win over Hibs. They deserved their win, but they were made to fight for it. An unfortunate own goal and a penalty proved to be our undoing. Our performance showed not just that this is a talented group of players but a really fit one too. The step in training from two to three nights a week is clearly having an impact. 

Ultimately though defeat means no points from our first two games. It's the same for Aberdeen (who lost 8-0 to Rangers today) who we visit next Sunday. 

It was great to welcome a record crowd to Petershill Park and the figure doesn't include the dogs at the dog friendly Petershill Park!

Petershill Park is a great home for us. It's a friendly, welcoming and above all else, affordable experience. It's ideal for families. And the football is damn good too.  

Edited by Tom Hosie

Unfortunately a spot of Man Flu kept me away from Aberdeen yesterday so can't comment on the performance although I'm told we had the bulk of the game and should have won. 

At any rate, it's a first point of the season after twice coming from behind to draw 2-2. 

Next up is Spartans at Petershill Park this coming Sunday. Unfortunately I'll miss that too as I'm on holiday though will take advantage of the live stream that is available for all our home fixtures. 

Aberdeen v Partick Thistle - Match Highlights - 21st August 2022 - YouTube

Edited by Tom Hosie

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

From the highlights I saw it looked like a lively game, and a draw seemed fair enough.

I wondered where the game took place, and why Thistle don't even consider a smallish stand along the bing like those in yesterday's stadium. 

The game was played at Cove Rangers. 

38 minutes ago, Tom Hosie said:

The game was played at Cove Rangers. 

Thanks for the info.

In the early 70s, largely due to our season in the old Second Division (70-71), I was chuffed to be able to say that I'd seen Thistle play competitively in every senior ground in Scotland. Alas, like me, that claim has gone out of date in the past few years!

And I suspect that I'll never reach those dizzy heights again.

53 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Thanks for the info.

In the early 70s, largely due to our season in the old Second Division (70-71), I was chuffed to be able to say that I'd seen Thistle play competitively in every senior ground in Scotland. Alas, like me, that claim has gone out of date in the past few years!

The Hibs Women's team are playing at the new, and quite dreadful looking, Meadowbank Stadium this season so that will get me back to 41 out of the 42 SPFL grounds when we head through there leaving just Bonnyrigg to get back to the full set. 

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Thanks for the info.

That's some feat, you must have visited many grounds many times to witness that spectacle. 

• 1 month later...