Partick Thistle WFC Season 2022-2023

Tom Hosie

15 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Watching Benfica v Rangers in  the Women's Champions League. Nice to see that Rangers women's team is called Rangers. Wish PTWFC were simply called Partick Thistle.

I saw the headline about Benfica beating Rangers, and as I'm out of touch I was surprised and slightly disappointed that it was in a women's competition. Not sexist; I also get annoyed by headlines like "So-and-So triumph in the doubles in a hard-fought encounter in {insert place}." What the hell is the article about? Badminton? Tennis? Table-Tennis? Rowing? Darts? Bowls? Most of the time, if I don't recognize the names and the sport concerned isn't named, I just don't bother clicking or looking for more information.

At least with "Partick Thistle Women" I know what I'm going to read about or watch.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Very good result for the women today against Dundee Utd (1-0) Saw the second half online, and there is no lack of grit or talent among the team. A couple of very classy players indeed.

Was there live as my grand-daughter was matchday mascot (courtesy of the sponsors-The Jags Foundation). Fantastic welcome (loved the "runaway huddle") and so good just to enjoy a game of football in a relaxed atmosphere without being stopped and searched, squashed through inflexible turnstiles after ridiculous queueing, and all the other nonsense and unpleasantness that so often accompanies following the men's team.

Some great skills on display, classy touches and team moves. Really good saves from both keepers. Plenty of grit and niggle, although the referee did seem to issue far too many yellow cards, plus sending off one of our coaches (not Brian Graham) for unclear reasons. Cara Henderson was particularly outstanding, with a tremendous finish for the goal. The result was deserved on balance of play, although in a typical Thistle way, we gave Dundee United the opportunity for a late equaliser by conceding a penalty (stonewaller). Thankfully the first effort crashed back off the upright and the rebound was sent into orbit and may not yet have touched down on Planet Earth.

24 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Was there live as my grand-daughter was matchday mascot (courtesy of the sponsors-The Jags Foundation). Fantastic welcome (loved the "runaway huddle") and so good just to enjoy a game of football in a relaxed atmosphere without being stopped and searched, squashed through inflexible turnstiles after ridiculous queueing, and all the other nonsense and unpleasantness that so often accompanies following the men's team.

Some great skills on display, classy touches and team moves. Really good saves from both keepers. Plenty of grit and niggle, although the referee did seem to issue far too many yellow cards, plus sending off one of our coaches (not Brian Graham) for unclear reasons. Cara Henderson was particularly outstanding, with a tremendous finish for the goal. The result was deserved on balance of play, although in a typical Thistle way, we gave Dundee United the opportunity for a late equaliser by conceding a penalty (stonewaller). Thankfully the first effort crashed back off the upright and the rebound was sent into orbit and may not yet have touched down on Planet Earth.

Glad you enjoyed the day. 

I'd best not provide detail why our assistant manager was sent off but it was for laughable reasons. 

Yes, got a break at the penalty. The rebound wouldn't have counted though had it gone in as it came back to the taker without another player touching the ball. 

Deserved win over the 90 minutes. 

Near perfect football weekend. Men's team win and stay top. Women's team win and go into the top half of the league. 

• Like 1

Here's the current league table for those interested. 

It's probably best not to read too much into it until everyone has played the top three (we've played Rangers and Celtic) but a top half finish isn't out of the question. 

Remarkable progress. Six years ago today we won our first league title well down the league system. 

Away to Hibs next. 

20221016_193056.jpg

Edited by Tom Hosie

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

It was an entertaining match despite the awful conditions, and an excellent goal to win it for the Jags.

Yes, beautiful shot by Rachel Donaldson curled into the top right corner and harnessing the elements to give added power and placement. Kevin de Bruyne would never have been able to do that, especially in the wild wind and rain at Petershill.

The Jags Foundation were the match sponsors and this was acknowledged and appreciated on numerous occasions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Yes, beautiful shot by Rachel Donaldson curled into the top right corner and harnessing the elements to give added power and placement. Kevin de Bruyne would never have been able to do that, especially in the wild wind and rain at Petershill.

The Jags Foundation were the match sponsors and this was acknowledged and appreciated on numerous occasions.

Is that the old saying" Could DeBruyne do it on a wet and windy night on A Tuesday in Petershill" 

The Thistle Women's team are having another positive season.

Wins in  three of our last four unbeaten league games have taken us to 5th in the league.

The Christmas Auction is about to close tomorrow and NOW is the time to bid on some fantastic items. You can get some fantastic, and is some cases unique, christmas presents as well as supporting development of Partick Thistle Women's FC.

https://www.32auctions.com/ptwfc2

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, Tom Hosie said:

The Hibs Women's team are playing at the new, and quite dreadful looking, Meadowbank Stadium this season so that will get me back to 41 out of the 42 SPFL grounds when we head through there leaving just Bonnyrigg to get back to the full set. 

Surely it can't be worse than the previous dump?! :o

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Surely it can't be worse than the previous dump?! :o

The pitch remains pretty much exactly where it was but the giant stand has been replaced by a shallow stand with 3 rows which runs the length of the pitch. 

And that's about that. 

The view is far from great but about a million times better than if you were watching from behind the goal as Falkirk and Dunfermline fans have had to do. 

The Meadowbank Sports Hub itself is fantastic. It's as if football wasn't really wanted there. 

17 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

The Thistle Women's team are having another positive season.

Wins in  three of our last four unbeaten league games have taken us to 5th in the league.

The Christmas Auction is about to close tomorrow and NOW is the time to bid on some fantastic items. You can get some fantastic, and is some cases unique, christmas presents as well as supporting development of Partick Thistle Women's FC.

https://www.32auctions.com/ptwfc2

Auction has now been extended to 10pm to allow anyone at work and unable to bid while at work to have a final chance of bidding. 

Personally I'd be after the Lambie whisky. That's something that will obviously never be seen again. 

32 minutes ago, Tom Hosie said:

The pitch remains pretty much exactly where it was but the giant stand has been replaced by a shallow stand with 3 rows which runs the length of the pitch. 

And that's about that. 

The view is far from great but about a million times better than if you were watching from behind the goal as Falkirk and Dunfermline fans have had to do. 

The Meadowbank Sports Hub itself is fantastic. It's as if football wasn't really wanted there. 

I checked it out.

What a travesty.! It's as if they neither expect nor want anybody to turn up to see any event that might be taking place there.

Yes, it is even worse that the old version..... :no:

• 2 weeks later...

This morning seems as good a time as any to provide an update on the team's progress. 

It was an excellent 5-1 win at Hamilton yesterday. The Accies keeper being sent off after just 5 minutes certainly helped but the quality of our football and use of the ball was fantastic and extends our unbeaten league run to 5 games.  13 points from those 5 games, 15 goals scored and just two conceded. These things are always a bit skewed by who has played the top three and who hasn't, but our form in the last five games is topped by nobody. That top three included. 

We've just one game to play before the first round of matches are completed and no matter what happens in that match we'll be sitting in the top six come the end of that round of fixtures. 

The remaining game is a toughy against Glasgow City but we stretched them at times last season and confidence has never been higher so who knows. Hibs, who we drew with andd currently sit above in the league table, knocked them out the SWPL Cup recently so who knows. Maybe a famous result incoming? 

It's a big day off the pitch too. Keep an eye on the team's socials but we've stuff planned for the day. We're hoping to welcome a record crowd to Petershill Park for one of our home games. 

Partick Thistle v Hamilton Accies - Match Highlights - 19th November 2022 - YouTube

Edited by Tom Hosie

PTW's team are giving all Jags fans  really positive feelings with their excellent season. Some of their play is really good to watch not just for quality but also in terms of heart, spirit, enjoyment and playing for the Jersey. Mr Fitzpatrick please note!

They are a real credit to the club.

Well done for Sunday's win at Hamilton. Glasgow City will be shaking in their boots!!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

At least there is one Thistle team that can beat their counterparts from Queens Park.

A 5-2 victory away from home and with injuries in the goalkeeper department we played with one of the coaches (who was an outfied player) in goals.

Outfield player playing in goals, goalkeeper scoring, supporting the jags never boring. :fan: