Adam Strachan

AlgarveJag

Amazing that under normal circumstances Adam would only now be thinking of winding down his career. A career that could've easily seen him play at a high level. Also hard to believe it's nearly fifteen years since he last played for us.  I met Adam on a couple of occasions and can only concur with MM's comments.

Very sad news. Sincere condolences to his friends and family. 

R.I.P. Adam

Something I posted on social media a little earlier today. On the back of this I received a lovely, and touching, message from his partner while he was at Thistle.

I was genuinely shocked to read on my way home from Stenhousemuir yesterday of the passing of former Thistle player Adam Strachan at just 35 years old.

I was, still am, clinging to the hope that it wasn't true. That it was a case of some garbled story but that seems more and more unlikely.

Adam was an incredibly bright talent, lightening quick and direct, when he burst into the Thistle first team at age 16. He could, should, have had a fantastic football career at a level well above Thistle and way, way above where he subsequently played.

Reading about Adam on social media since the news broke I keep reading the phrase "troubled soul" to describe him and Adam certainly didn't have his troubles to seek in life.

His time at Thistle coincided with my time as Programme Editor. I'll not pretend that I knew Adam well but we did speak. One to one I found him a nice, self aware, lad. That is the impression of Adam that will be left with me.

I forget the exact time line, I think it was when Dick Campbell was our manager, but I recall chatting to Adam on the way to an away game somewhere. He hadn't long come back from a period on trial in Germany and the German club, I forget who, wanted to sign him but the fee we wanted was too high. Adam spoke about how he had enjoyed his time in Germany, how it provided him with an opportunity to breakaway from the environment that was defining his life and shaping his future. I wonder how his career, how his life, might have turned out had that move happened. A sliding doors moment?

I'm a firm believer that how we turn out as people is significantly shaped by the environment and circumstances that we are brought up in. I don't really want to make an overtly political point when discussing the passing of a young man, but it does feel pertinent to do so here. Society consistently fails people (do football clubs too?) . Yes, there needs to self responsibility and yes people need to make the most of the opportunities given to them, often through the talents they have, but do our social structures offer enough support?

Anyway, RIP Adam. You leave me with memories of just about the quickest player I've ever seen in a Thistle jersey. Your star burned out far too quickly.

• Like 6

RIP Adam.  The two main moments that spring to mind are when he came on vs Ross County at Dingwall in the 5-2 game, he skinned a few boys down the wing and crossed in for Roberts to make it 5-2. Also remember speaking to him in the warm up at Balmoor in the playoff final, he came over and told us the starting line up. Would be good to see a minutes silence or black armbands vs Killie or our next home game to show respect.

When Adam Strachan first came into the Thistle team he was a total breath of fresh air. With the noble exceptions of James Grady and David Rowson, the team of the Collins/Britton/Whyte season were an uninspiring bunch.  We were subsiding towards relegation with more whimper than bang. Suddenly this young lad was showing no fear, taking on experienced players from other teams and getting the Thistle support excited.

The excellent goals montage above reminds me that I was on match reporting duty for the former version of this website for the game against Livingston, where Adam's goals put us 2 up. His input since his early days had been somewhat mixed and inconsistent, both under Britton/Whyte and Campbell. When Ian McCall came in for the first time, he quite naturally brought in several new signings of his own choice, and Adam's role was initially peripheral. However, by the time of the Livingston game he had earned himself a start. Unfortunately I have not preserved my match report, but I am sure that I said something to the effect that this performance seemed to symbolise the turning of a corner and that Adam was establishing himself as a reliable first team starter and scorer, who would go on from strength to strength.

Sadly I was wrong. These were the last 2 goals in the montage, and Adam slowly faded from view.  

I agree with Jagsontour that (possibly at both the Killie away game and our next home game) we should honour Adam's  memory and express our support for those who particularly grieve his passing.

The goals montage just how much skill as well as pace Adam  had but also the sheer joy of scoring. God knows what he went through latterly but I hope he has found peace.  Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

If anyone else out there is fighting a battle please remember you are not alone. Check out Andy's Man Club. They have meetings all over the country on a Monday night.

Edited by fifexile
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fifexile said:

If anyone else out there is fighting a battle please remember you are not alone. Check out Andy's Man Club. They have meetings all over the country on a Monday night.

Good shout @fifexile. There are Mens Sheds and other projects (eg ship restoration) that can help give guys a purpose. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...