KILLY AWAY TOMORROW

Jimmy McD

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

You might well be right. But why send our own players out on loan and prioritize giving game time to similar-aged youngsters who aren't considered mature enough for their own teams? 

To me that seems to be kneeling down before our "superiors" while at the same time reinforcing the vicious circle that sees them creaming off all the best players, and getting teams like us to do the development work for them!

If the guys from Rangers are significantly better than our own, then I can see the point of it. 

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yep. 

For me THEE loan players who improved our team beyond doubt we've had over the years amount to no more than Eddie Prudham ( oh, what might have been!) and Jukka Santala (actually loved the guy). Mayo looked decent, but cost us many points because of (at least four) stupid penalties. I for one am not disappointed that he's not with us again this year.

Really, who are the other loanees who have MADE A DIFFERENCE, rather than just slotted in and put in average performances one after the other?

Kyle Hutton was class…that formation change to accommodate was part the reason we got so much success following him.

OK: Looks like our "class" loanees have been:

Prudham

Santala

Lindau

Hutton

I'll grant Billy Gibson too. Don't know if he made a difference to us, but he gave us a real shift for several seasons.

Is that it? Six players out of God knows how may in the past four or five decades?

The other side of the coin:

Which of our youth players have we ditched and who then went on to be a success?

Kevin Nisbet is perhaps the strongest case. 

Was McDade a Thistle youth player?

Others? 

ETA: If there are none, then shouldn't there be some questions being asked?

Edited by Jaggernaut

59 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

If the guys from Rangers are significantly better than our own, then I can see the point of it. 

What’s the point in having an Academy then if we’re just developing other teams players, if we even did get promotion, the chances are the loanees won’t be there and we would have to rebuild again.

The template for a successful Academy should be good coaching to ensure a pathway to the First Team .

As a Club we have failed miserably with the Academy ,other teams like Hibs , Hearts , Motherwell , Hamilton etc have done well financially by developing players and selling them on.

Are our coaches not good enough to do this ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Liam Lindsay, Jack Hendry, Aiden Fitzpatrick. We have made decent money from the academy in recent years.

Wow 3 players in 15 years and we didn’t even get 1 million quid between the 3 of them and Jack Hendry was actually developed by Dundee United.

Edited by jlsarmy

Conrad Balatoni & Sean Welsh were loanees. Both went on to provide significant input as signed up Jags players. Can I suggest there's two beneficial types of loanees. First we have players like the aforementioned who settle at Firhill and later sign up as Jags players. Then there's loanees with decent attitude who we'd never have had a chance of signing. It's the ones that don't readily fall into either category that can be problematic. 

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Conrad Balatoni & Sean Welsh were loanees. Both went on to provide significant input as signed up Jags players. Can I suggest there's two beneficial types of loanees. First we have players like the aforementioned who settle at Firhill and later sign up as Jags players. Then there's loanees with decent attitude who we'd never have had a chance of signing. It's the ones that don't readily fall into either category that can be problematic. 

Get that LIB , but the difference is Cole McKinnon and Tony Weston have just signed 3 year deals for Rangers

I’m sure they don’t see their future at Firhill 

21 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Get that LIB , but the difference is Cole McKinnon and Tony Weston have just signed 3 year deals for Rangers

I’m sure they don’t see their future at Firhill 

Read again my second last sentence. Maybe they fall into that  category?  I've no idea myself, and anyway only time will tell.   

• Like 1

Loans out and loans in are part and parcel of the game. Both Rangers youngsters we have signed are highly rated prospects, even if they don't go on to play for Rangers I'd imagine they'll still play a higher level than Scottish Championship football. As for our boys, we can only trust the management to decide whether they are good enough, there's been several youngsters over the years who have disappeared into junior leagues or out the game altogether. Infact I think only Nesbit & Hendry are now playing at a higher level, the rest pretty much gone, a few like Ricky Little etc who has been through the leagues.

Loans don't always work, we've had some absolutely shocking loans, look no further than last season for proof of that.

And as for Rangers youngsters, they are very much hit and miss when they are young but again, a lot of their former youngsters find themselves playing at a higher level than Thistle, take Naismith for example, not the greatest of loan spells at Thistle and he's went onto greener pastures. 

I guess its all about luck and finding the right fit, but realistically speaking are they better than our youngsters - yes, they are. Whether that be through better coaching or just playing at a higher level with their academy these guys are expected to do something with their career.

I mean I seem to remember Lucas Akins really struggling at us, only to bang the goals in down south at Championship and League 1 level. I don't ever remember us being lucky with loans... But maybe those tables will turn.

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yep. 

For me THEE loan players who improved our team beyond doubt we've had over the years amount to no more than Eddie Prudham ( oh, what might have been!) and Jukka Santala (actually loved the guy). Mayo looked decent, but cost us many points because of (at least four) stupid penalties. I for one am not disappointed that he's not with us again this year.

Really, who are the other loanees who have MADE A DIFFERENCE, rather than just slotted in and put in average performances one after the other?

Eddie Prudham. The one that got away!

There have been some good loans over the years. Colin West and Billy Dodds sometimes get forgotten about because they came in at a time when we were really struggling but their goal scoring exploits saved us from relegation under Derek Johnstone and Billy Lamont.

However perhaps the most influential loan move was Gerry Collins loan from Hamilton. I'm sure I heard that when he went back to Hamilton he raved about the club and was a big influence in John Lambie deciding to takeover at Firhill?

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Oh yeah.... I didn't even know he was a loanee!

Ayr didn't allow us to play him a SC quarter final at Somerset. The irony was they had a striker on loan from elsewhere and he may even have scored (can't remember who it was)

9 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Am unsure why Thistle have arranged tomorrow’s Motherwell friendly, when they’ve just had competitive Saturday and Wednesday games and have another next Tuesday and following Saturday.  Maybe I’m missing something. Are they going to be playing with a completely different group of players, I wonder!

I think two ways of looking at it are to have a look at some trialists and also to have a run out on the new pitch.