KILLY AWAY TOMORROW

Jimmy McD

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Are you really telling me our Academy works well ?

Is it perfect ? .... No.

But it is no where near as bad as you make out. I could have added Stanway, Lyon and the lad we just sold to Rangers last week to the list of players who have developed. I guess it depends on how you measure the success. If you are expecting a stream of kids developing into 1st team regulars at Thistle then you are always going to be disappointed. We have already seen with Fitzpatrick and the lad sold to Rangers that young players good enough for us are worth far more to the junior teams of bigger clubs and nothing is going to change that. 

What it is doing well is that (we are told) it is not a financial burden on the club. It gives some of these kids a purpose (god know what they might be getting upto if they were not at our junior games. It is creating a fan base as many of the young players and/or their parents will become season ticket holders (*) and it takes the Partick Thistle brand to a different audience, much like the women's team.

(*) Building the fan base is a key factor in most academies. I have 2 nephews, one at Man Utd and one at Everton under 12s. I was talking to one of the coaches and asking him how many he expected to make it and his reply was none, but if 2 parents from George's team became season ticket holders for 5 years, it would have paid for that team.

• Like 3

Another reason our academy will never develop a steady flow of first team players is the competition for the academy. Unfortunately we aren't even 4th best in the area that teams pick up players, we already sit behind Rangers, Celtic and Queens Park in that regard, with competition coming from Motherwell and Hamilton... However what I would say is the Colin Weir money allowed us to make great strides in catching our academy up, unfortunately that money has dried up so the academy now needs to become self-sufficient and the slow down of progress will continue because of the high level of competition.

For what it’s worth, our academy may be giving kids skills and fun, but it’s not delivering for the Club (yet).

We should be seeing more end product, ideally breaking into the first team and committing to the Jags.

Until then, it seems we are destined (doomed) to keep developing SEVCO ‘talent’ 

1 hour ago, sandy said:

For what it’s worth, our academy may be giving kids skills and fun, but it’s not delivering for the Club (yet).

We should be seeing more end product, ideally breaking into the first team and committing to the Jags.

Until then, it seems we are destined (doomed) to keep developing SEVCO ‘talent’ 

We always will. Because wether we like it or not the vast majority of players support one of the two scumbags and if offered a chance at either club will jump at it. Thistle have been, are and always a stepping stone to the likes of those two. And being in Glasgow makes it worse for us. We shall never be a successful club in terms of trophies. Never!

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Tiff has his hands full getting into our team.’ :mellow:

32 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Tiff has his hands full getting into our team.’ :mellow:

Clearly tongue in cheek but there are signs that he won't be subject to routine double marking (on occasions, triple). There's a bit more attacking threat from elsewhere. Still feel we're not exactly over blessed with pace in attack. That alone secures Tiffoney starting berth.

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Blooming hope so, else I’ve somehow booked into hospitality up north ;)

I wonder what hospitality up in the Broch would entail? Comfy seat, match programme, fast tracking in the methadone queue. The munchies at half time. And to send you merrily on your way a post match talk from a local drugs councillor.   

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I wonder what hospitality up in the Broch would entail? Comfy seat, match programme, fast tracking in the methadone queue. The munchies at half time. And to send you merrily on your way a post match talk from a local drugs councillor.   

M’lady, I hope you are not confusing Fraserburgh and Peterhead? I know the latter also smells of fish.

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Fraserburgh cuffed 3-0  by Stenny and likewise Montrose by Killie.  2 home wins this week and group is ours.

Hopefully we give both teams the respect they deserve- and don’t expect a walkover.  I think if we get through to the next round we get £40,000 alone - that’s a lot of money for us

• Like 1