McCall's Marhill Magyars v. The Broch.

12 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Down here, my main concern is to stay comfortable and and as cool as possible. It wasn’t pleasant yesterday, but it was worse further south. Today is meant to be worse still. Curtains drawn, windows closed to keep out the warm/hot air today. We’ve had a glimpse into the future, these last few days. Hope everyone  else on here who lives in England is okay.

Cheers Denis.

There's no escaping the heat at home anyway.

Went in to work today to make use of the aircon, as the house is boiling. Was 41.5C in Peterborough, according to my car thermometer at 1pm.

Not much chance of sleeping. This is worse than the cheap Spanish hotels I used to stay in as a youngster. Help!!

Bit of a training game and opportunity to see the youngsters in action. McKinnon looks comfortable and competent and Dowds will give Graham a lot of competition.

they had 7 in their back five but we lacked a spark of creativity despite Lawless, Turner and Fitzpatrick (2nd half) all putting in a shift. 

Fearful lack of pace in the first half. Picked up a good bit after a few substitutions but there's no escaping we're often too slow on the ball. There were very few poor individual displays, which in a perverse way is a kind of worry when you only beat a Highland League club 2-0 at home. 

On a more positive note if we can move the ball about more quickly, especially from defence thru midfield, then we've certainly got a fair amount of quality within the squad to have a good season. 

I thought Lawless and Weston were both excellent but we can’t play them together. Weston’s quick, eager and has an eye for goal.

My God, Fitzpatrick hasn’t half grown! He looks strong but is he overweight?

Dowds is an old fashioned striker. He’s ahead of Graham. Tough selection decisions for McCall. McKinnon looks better than Doc and Banzo(sorry). I hope he’s brave because that starting xi is not going to score.

That was pretty disappointing despite the 2-0 win. Fraserburgh gifted us the OG and McKinnon should have scored a 1v1 shortly after, but that was it for 1st half. 2nd half we were a bit more lively when Dowds, Fitzpatrick and Weston came on, and were a bit unlucky not to add a couple more. Docherty, Smith and Turner weren’t great tonight.

51 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Happy enough with that,could have played the game again today and won 6-0 .Plenty of raw quality out there just needing more match time honing .Thought Tunji looked a lot more comfortable when he came on today .

Agree about Tunji but he was under absolutely no pressure.

He should be given 90 minutes vs Montrose to continue confidence rehabilitation.

• Like 1

Think some on here are being a bit negative. It was basically a friendly that game we must have had about 85% of the ball and their keeper made at least 3 brilliant saves off the top my head as well as a few other chances we could have easily won by 4 or 5 (although you could argue poor finishing I guess). We where so so comfortable that we didn’t really need to up a gear in all honesty. Job done, onto Montrose and a win secures top spot which is something we haven’t managed for a few years so have to be happy with that. I do agree however that the team that started today lacked pace and one of if not both fitzy and tiff when fit should both play on the wings in my opinion. Lastly, how good is it having full backs who over lap, get forward and deliver dangerous crosses? What a difference from last season it’s a genuine night and day scenario. 

11 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

My God, Fitzpatrick hasn’t half grown! He looks strong but is he overweight?

He's definitely bulked up as I saw him play for Queens (on video or telly) and didn't recognise him at first. I do tho' think he's carrying a bit of weight. Hopefully that's down to his injury that ruled him out since the beginning of March. Possibly not had an ideal pre-season. He's certainly still got a burst of pace, so with that added strength it's fingers crossed he gets 100% fit. 

3 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Think some on here are being a bit negative. It was basically a friendly that game we must have had about 85% of the ball and their keeper made at least 3 brilliant saves off the top my head as well as a few other chances we could have easily won by 4 or 5 (although you could argue poor finishing I guess). We where so so comfortable that we didn’t really need to up a gear in all honesty. Job done, onto Montrose and a win secures top spot which is something we haven’t managed for a few years so have to be happy with that. I do agree however that the team that started today lacked pace and one of if not both fitzy and tiff when fit should both play on the wings in my opinion. Lastly, how good is it having full backs who over lap, get forward and deliver dangerous crosses? What a difference from last season it’s a genuine night and day scenario. 

I was disappointed because it was an opportunity to get the fans excited for the new season and maybe generate some interest in ST sales, which seem to be flagging. I guess we need to make allowances for the heat, but even at 2-0, we were one mistake away from it being nervy.