Dundee Away - League campaign kicks off 30 July

jagfox

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yesterday was our 5th competitive match and Cole McKinnon became the 9th Jags player to get on the scoresheet. In comparison after our first 5 games last season only 3 different Jags players had scored. It took 20 matches before our 9th got on the scoresheet. That's not far off half way thru the season.

I know it's a bit early for statistics but I believe this diversity in goal scorers reflects a vastly increased fluidity about the team. Even tho' we weren't that bad over those first 20 games last season we relied almost entirely on two strikers (Graham & Rudden) plus one single creative player (Tiffoney). Our only deadball player was played out of position. 

I only know too well our regular propensity for shooting ourselves in the foot, but I strongly believe we've considerably more grounds for optimism for this season than last.

We'll see LIB.

Not sure it's a good idea to get triumphalistic - statistically or otherwise - after gubbing Dundee at Dens.

Our best spell last season was when the defence created an all-time club record. Which proved to be worthless when the prizes were handed out.

Let's see where we stand after the first quarter is completed.

If (when?) we win the league we'll do it on merit.

2 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

How so?

You don’t think the additions of Mullen, dowds, lawless, fitzy and Weston plus 2 attacking full backs won’t be more attacking and score more goals than tiff did alone last year? With foster and McKenna at full back and literally no depth up front or a single natural wide right sided player. I think it’s fair to say we will be more attacking and won’t rely on tiff so much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

You don’t think the additions of Mullen, dowds, lawless, fitzy and Weston plus 2 attacking full backs won’t be more attacking and score more goals than tiff did alone last year? With foster and McKenna at full back and literally no depth up front or a single natural wide right sided player. I think it’s fair to say we will be more attacking and won’t rely on tiff so much. 

Let's hope so.

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Agree, he may struggle to get a start with Fitz and Lawless there

My concern is that Tiffony seems to be prone to picking up injuries. However if he can be used from the bench he might still be a key player. Ee relied far too much on him for creativity last season, hopefully with the stronger squad this year we can rely less on him.

7 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

What he said :)

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Agree, he may struggle to get a start with Fitz and Lawless there

I'm interested to see how Tiffoney responds with competition for spaces. Hard to drop Lawless or Fitzpatrick for the Hamilton game when they both scored against Dundee. You could also add that their interplay with Graham is integral to the 3rd goal.

Whilst Fitzpatrick isn't slow neither he or Lawless have the ability to run with the ball at pace or go past opponents like Tiffoney does so you would hope that when he gets a start he steps it up a level.

What a difference from last season when the answer to not having a fit Tiffoney was to play an unfit Tiffoney. With Weston pushing for a place we have a lot of options compared to any time in the last 3 seasons.

15 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

We'll see LIB.

Not sure it's a good idea to get triumphalistic - statistically or otherwise - after gubbing Dundee at Dens.

Our best spell last season was when the defence created an all-time club record. Which proved to be worthless when the prizes were handed out.

Let's see where we stand after the first quarter is completed.

If (when?) we win the league we'll do it on merit.

Barney, I don't do "triumphalistic".  I couldn't go to Dens on Saturday and, even if I've seen a match stream, I always defer to comments from posters who attend games. I know it's the "Dundee thread" so I can see where I could be picked up wrong. That's why I used stats rather than commenting on performances. I was prompted mostly by the fact that the 8th & 9th players got on the scoresheet rather than the result itself.

You're reference to the run of clean sheets is valid. Immediately prior to that run McCall said we may not win the League but we'll be scoring goals for fun. From then on our goalscoring was by far the weakest part of our game. That was imo down to overreliance on too few players.  A point of comparison I hope will be evident if this season's squad kick on the way they've looked to me in the games I've attended so far. Glass is just half full, that's all. But I'll spill most of it with my fingers crossed. :)

10 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

How so?

My glass still half full. Even if we do rely once again on Tiffoney to provide our principal attacking/creative threat, opposition won't find it so easy to nullify his threat. Lack of mobility upfront coupled with near zero for our opponents to worry about from our other flank, meant defences could easily double up on marking Tiffoney. In fact Dundee Utd in the cup game often kept a third player close to him. The likes of Fitzpatrick & Weston (both got pace) won't have to be spectacular but they will at least need close marking. In a different way, but to the same end, defenders won't want to give much space to Lawless when he cuts in from the right. Also Tiffoney will have someone to swap wings with from time to time during a game.

Even if McCall dampens down the fluidity in our current set up and plays two up front, it'll hopefully be due to the two strikers being an effective partnership and their joint threat should still give Tiffoney more room to operate.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't at the game on Saturday for reasons already stated. However I was delighted with the result and especially taking 3 points from this back-stabbing club.

I agree with all of the above re the balance of the side and particularly now having an attacking threat from both flanks. Also that Tiffoney should, if he can get into the team, benefit by being able to play with having  less pressure on him as our only attacking threat.

Early days yet but it is also looking like Lawless is turning into a VG signing. If this proves to be the case with consistently good performances on  the field and good behaviour off the field I will be very happy to eat humble pie and change my view about resigning him.

Regarding our prospects  for the rest of the season I think we need to wait until the first half of the season has been completed and we have played all of the other teams home and away. By then we will have a good idea of our potential to win this league or reach the play-offs.

We certainly have got off to a flyer but perhaps Dundee were a bit complacent and got off to a slow start. It wouldn't surprise me if this club felt they could 'walk' the championship and perhaps underestimated us. We may have just given them a wake-up call!

Fact is with a depleted team we went to Dundee and took the 3 points so a big well done to the Manager and his staff, the players and especially to all the travelling fans (apparently in big numbers) who gave the team such great support.

I hope to get to Firhill next week for the Hamilton game.