Free buses

Duke Gekantawa

This is great news. Good for ST holders and good for the planet.

The all day ticket usually costs £4.70 so that's a great saving. Also, it will be usable for all travel from early morning to late evening on match day.

First Bus have a similar initiative with Aberdeen FC.

37 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Can only see the positives in this.

Well, one negative: sounds a bit techno and complicated for old codgers with no or little experience with e_mail, apps etc.

Couldn't they just swipe their season ticket on the bus?

who are these old codgers? email and internet has been around for 20 years. My father in law is 82 and knows what to do.. My folks are mid 70's. Age is not a barrier to technology 

On 7/29/2022 at 5:44 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Leave your petrol car at home, if you’ve got one-give public transport a try! You might meet a new Thistle-supporting friend on the way to the match on the bus. What’s not to like?!!

The idea is good but the bus is a royal pain in the arse. Slow. Stops all the time and often you will encounter *********.

5 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Well, unless we change our habits on a range of things we’ve been used to doing for many years, the future looks bleak indeed. And that will be real pain for many.

In a way you are right. But surely, using public transport shouldn’t be an ordeal. As an example, I live in East Dunbartonshire, but to get from one side of the region to the other, I have to go into Glasgow first. The authorities have to get their act together to make it easier for people.

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

In a way you are right. But surely, using public transport shouldn’t be an ordeal. As an example, I live in East Dunbartonshire, but to get from one side of the region to the other, I have to go into Glasgow first. The authorities have to get their act together to make it easier for people.

Think that's more a problem of two main parts of a local authority (Milngavie and Bearsden) which should really be part of another but as someone who works in Kirkintilloch and finds it quicker to cycle to work from Maryhill than to travel by bus I agree.

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

At least in Glasgow (or Scotland) we need 1 card to cover bus, train, subway. We don't even have that.

What happened to the "Transcard" (that name got old :D), that enabled you to use buses, subway and trains? You only bought the ticket to cover the "Zones" you passed through - did they stop it?

7 hours ago, Aliballibee said:

What happened to the "Transcard" (that name got old :D), that enabled you to use buses, subway and trains? You only bought the ticket to cover the "Zones" you passed through - did they stop it?

You mean zonecard, you can still get it but it has a minimum of 1 week, they really need to introduce a daily equivalent

1 hour ago, dpj said:

You mean zonecard, you can still get it but it has a minimum of 1 week, they really need to introduce a daily equivalent

Was a Transcard before it was a ZoneCard.

Our ticket here gets you on buses, trains and the island boats (if in your zone) also talk to extend it to the city bikes (electric bikes) works out about £70 a month 

58 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The English language is indeed confusing. The word "integrated" is in such common usage. Can be used in a number of senses, but has absolutely no meaning whatsoever when written or spoken immediately in front of the word "transport".

What it really means is "intae" and "grated" (as in reduced to a mush of tiny pieces).

On 7/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Previously, the Glasgow (Corporation) buses operated to provide decent services on all routes. It was a civic duty.  Some were very popular and made a lot of money, others didn’t, but it was seen that that all should be run, properly supported, to cater for people wherever they lived.

Honestly, that wasn't my experience at all.  And for a period I found the services improve under deregulation. 

Getting the balance right is the issue since Local Authorities with a monopoly can be more concerned with maintaining the systems than innovating and putting the customer first.  And obviously, private companies with only profit as the criteria (if that's how the services are licensed) will not be interested in non-profitable areas or services. 

On 7/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Today, many are campaigning for councils to run their own services again. I think (Mayor)  Andy Burnham has achieved that in Greater Manchester. But, generally bus ‘regulation’ needs to be brought back (in authorities which want it) and we also need a proper integrated-transport policy for the whole of the UK, covering all transport. And, doing that is just one of the things necessary and vital,  in the battle versus man-made climate change.

100% agree.  Depressingly there's nobody, it seems to me, who is working to fix this.  I see it working somewhat in places like Edinburgh and London, but we seem incapable or unwilling to do that here, never mind taking a national approach.

46 minutes ago, Mr Scruff said:

Honestly, that wasn't my experience at all.  And for a period I found the services improve under deregulation. 

Getting the balance right is the issue since Local Authorities with a monopoly can be more concerned with maintaining the systems than innovating and putting the customer first.  And obviously, private companies with only profit as the criteria (if that's how the services are licensed) will not be interested in non-profitable areas or services. 

100% agree.  Depressingly there's nobody, it seems to me, who is working to fix this.  I see it working somewhat in places like Edinburgh and London, but we seem incapable or unwilling to do that here, never mind taking a national approach.

Don't disagree on the principle but one reason why it works in Edinburgh is -  unlike Glasgow - you don't have a motorway through the centre of the city allowing drivers free/easy access plus Glasgow has the largest suburban rail network in the UK outside of London. So Edinburgh buses doesn't have that "competition"..  Plus I don't think Edinburgh suffered to the same extent as Glasgow in terms of population clearance to the city boundaries (Castlemilk, Easterhouse etc) which meant less population density and drove up Glasgow Corp transport costs for the same/fewer passengers.  Glasgow also has one of the lowest city centre residential populations in Europe although the council is addressing that through the ongoing approval of new flats.

In a post-covid environment I think we will see fewer bus/train passengers in the tradition peak-hours which will have a significant impact on revenue....  I believe all bus co's in the UK are still on government hand-outs right now. So any move back into public ownership will come at  greater cost than the world we knew pre 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derby Jag said:

Anyone had any luck with this today?

Tried entering the code in checkout at the app for and Adult All Day at all of Glasgow City, Glasgow Local and Glasgow network and get a message saying there is no promotion with that code 

Does it need to be in capitals?

Or maybe it doesn’t start till say 12 (email doesn’t say).

I see a few folk on Facebook saying they have same issue

Club have put this out on twitter and e-mails are being sent as well.

Unfortunately there has been an error in the code sent to season ticket holders for free travel today using the First Bus app. The code sent previously had the letter “T” immediately before the letters “FC” This letter T should be removed. Apologies for the inconvenience.