Home to Hamilton Academical - Saturday 6 August

jagfox

Following a great opening day win an interesting and important fixture faces Thistle on Saturday. A more meat and potatoes fixture than last weekend but one we will be looking to win.

it is unlikely we will have the same line-up from Dundee and McCall hopes to have one or two of our missing defenders back. This could have a knock-on affect to how we line-up further forward.

It was great to see Tiffoney back but will he get a starting berth!

Accies started with a draw versus Morton and still seem short of the numbers required to see them through the season. 

Hopefully Thistle can go some way to make up for the 4-0 pasting suffered earlier in the year.

Love to see Tiffoney back starting games but that'll largely depend on his overall fitness, and to a lesser extent how much teamwork he's done in practice. He's returning to play with a handful of new teammates and McCall may well favour his previous attacking line up, sans Tiff, to gel first. Plus, obviously if one centreback returns then McCall has already got a decision to make re who drops out further up the park. If Tiffoney starts then two players will have to be benched from a last week's successful starters. With that in mind I'd expect Tiff and Turner to be subs. 

We went thru last season with McCall unaware what his strongest line up was. That's still the problem today but by and large that's now a good problem. I reckon McCall will "go canny" and start Banzo, Doc and McKinnon (three men to do the job of two). Fine perhaps for a tough away game but far less so when we're at home. That said there's a case for erring on the cautious side early in the season. Don't doubt McKinnon can/will get forward but I'd like to see Bannigan do likewise, play further up the park. 

One other thing, and a niggling worry, I hope the grass is cut low and playing fast & true. Not being at Dens makes it harder to comment but I'm assuming the surface up there was excellent.  We certainly responded well.

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Love to see Tiffoney back starting games but that'll largely depend on his overall fitness, and to a lesser extent how much teamwork he's done in practice. He's returning to play with a handful of new teammates and McCall may well favour his previous attacking line up, sans Tiff, to gel first. Plus, obviously if one centreback returns then McCall has already got a decision to make re who drops out further up the park. If Tiffoney starts then two players will have to be benched from a last week's successful starters. With that in mind I'd expect Tiff and Turner to be subs. 

We went thru last season with McCall unaware what his strongest line up was. That's still the problem today but by and large that's now a good problem. I reckon McCall will "go canny" and start Banzo, Doc and McKinnon (three men to do the job of two). Fine perhaps for a tough away game but far less so when we're at home. That said there's a case for erring on the cautious side early in the season. Don't doubt McKinnon can/will get forward but I'd like to see Bannigan do likewise, play further up the park. 

One other thing, and a niggling worry, I hope the grass is cut low and playing fast & true. Not being at Dens makes it harder to comment but I'm assuming the surface up there was excellent.  We certainly responded well.

I would personally like to see us go for it and try blow accies away. With doch sitting deeper and McKinnon/Turner playing more attacking from box to box. If we could get a centre back fit for this, move McMillan back out to right back. I think with him and Milne overlapping lawless and fitzy with the creativity of turner/ McKinnon we should be able to blow accies away while they are still a bit short. With Weston, dowds, mullin and tiff all to come on if we can’t break them down. We should really be winning this game if we’re serious about a title challenge and hopefully convincingly at that. So with all that said as previously mentioned I’m predicting a 0-0. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

At least we have found new ways to embarrass ourselves with a half time art show. Wonder if it will workout my cringe reflex more than out 1971 theater production at HT vs Aberdeen. 

We really don't help ourselves with this utter crap. 

In my case this "art show" is an utter spoiler.  I was thinking of ordering my half time pie through the medium of interpretive dance. I may still go ahead but you've got to ask yourself what's the ******* point? And stuff you, Thistle,  my red and yellow tutu is going straight back in the wardrobe. :angry:  

McCall has been talking about us playing free-flowing attacking football this season. If we can't do that at the start of the season when the stakes are lower, the weather is good and the pitch is in good condition, then when will we? Will be interesting for sure.

As for the half-time entertainment, I'm cool with it - the work they are supporting in Malawi is important and so we should be happy to give them an opportunity to rehearse in a football environment before they go on tour. Might not be my/your thing, but please cut them some slack.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

At least we have found new ways to embarrass ourselves with a half time art show. Wonder if it will workout my cringe reflex more than out 1971 theater production at HT vs Aberdeen. 

We really don't help ourselves with this utter crap. 

I'm going to stick my head above the parapit here.

There's nothing wrong with half-time entertainment. Whether it's a guy with a guitar singing his latest THISTLE song, the Texstyle World Pipe Band, fans involved in a Crossbar Challenge or a short theatre production. They are all entertainment. They are all culture.

We have a very poor relationship with culture in the UK. It's seen as something that some people go somewhere to watch. But culture is all around us. Culture is us. Kids pulling tricks at Kingston DIY, a magician at a barbecue, telling your mates a joke in the pub. Every performance enriches our lives and adds another thread to the tapestry.

There aren't many football clubs that could attempt to include theatre as half-time culture. That Thistle are prepared to try is something we should be proud of.

Of course, the [NTS] drama about the '71 Cup Final was poor. Under-rehearsed and badly executed. The main problem though was the timing. In the middle of one of the most abject performances by a Thistle team many of us will ever have witnessed. The team were a very poor warm up act that day.

Shrug it off. Life's rich tapestry and all that. 

Have an open mind and don't dismiss it before you've seen it. Don't give in to the Tory Govt cultural elitism. Culture belongs to you.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

There's nothing wrong with half-time entertainment. Whether it's a guy with a guitar singing his latest THISTLE song, the Texstyle World Pipe Band, fans involved in a Crossbar Challenge or a short theatre production. They are all entertainment. They are all culture.

We have a very poor relationship with culture in the UK. It's seen as something that some people go somewhere to watch. But culture is all around us. Culture is us. Kids pulling tricks at Kingston DIY, a magician at a barbecue, telling your mates a joke in the pub. Every performance enriches our lives and adds another thread to the tapestry.

There aren't many football clubs that could attempt to include theatre as half-time culture. That Thistle are prepared to try is something we should be proud of.

Of course, the [NTS] drama about the '71 Cup Final was poor. Under-rehearsed and badly executed. The main problem though was the timing. In the middle of one of the most abject performances by a Thistle team many of us will ever have witnessed. The team were a very poor warm up act that day.

Have an open mind and don't dismiss it before you've seen it. Don't give in to the Tory Govt cultural elitism. Culture belongs to you.

You've obviously never heard me tell a joke in a pub.

27 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

100% agreement. 

Too many Victor Meldrews not even prepared to see what's on offer and even make an effort to enjoy.

Pretty sad, IMO.

I completely agree with Fenski & BB.  I'm not clear why something not yet seen performed can be deemed to be "utter crap". If you watch it, & don't like it fair enough. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. 

Only downer is you can't just read your match programme instead.!  But as both posters have said, be open minded.

This season ticket holder won't be at the game - for your benefit: I'm still testing positive for Covid (although the symptoms are all but gone now).  Why mention it then? Because there is now no option to watch online, although infection rates are relatively high and are likely to stay so for the foreseeable future. The club said, "Streaming was introduced to allow supporters to watch matches when they were not able to attend in person due to Government restrictions, which have now been removed."

Actually, the public health advice for infected people (from the Government) is clearly to restrict movement. Of course, I could attend the match and possibly infect others - but of course I won't. Surprise, surprise! The SPFL makes another anti-football decision. They just don't have a clue about responding to the need to maintain a fanbase. :yellow_card:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

This season ticket holder won't be at the game - for your benefit: I'm still testing positive for Covid (although the symptoms are all but gone now).  Why mention it then? Because there is now no option to watch online, although infection rates are relatively high and are likely to stay so for the foreseeable future. The club said, "Streaming was introduced to allow supporters to watch matches when they were not able to attend in person due to Government restrictions, which have now been removed."

Actually, the public health advice for infected people (from the Government) is clearly to restrict movement. Of course, I could attend the match and possibly infect others - but of course I won't. Surprise, surprise! The SPFL makes another anti-football decision. They just don't have a clue about responding to the need to maintain a fanbase. :yellow_card:

I had Covid last week and ended up in hospital with pneumonia. Got home yesterday but, although not infected, I'm clearly not well enough to go to Firhill on Saturday.

Quite agree. It's annoying. The club have said that they will announce prices for a subscription service for those outside the uk using a vpn. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow. I know it's additional outlay but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Brush fires whilst on holiday, Covid followed by pneumonia and a spell in hospital, after coming home- you’ve had a tough few weeks! Hope the remainder of the summer is more kind to you.

:) Thanks.

It's been an interesting summer...

2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I don’t know what it’s like in Scotland, but here in my part of the north of England few where masks on public transport and in enclosed places. There is no advice re: Covid given out any more, yet apparently it’s now on the rise, and seemingly easier to catch. Some foolishly say, ‘it’s just a cold’ but there are many who’ve had ‘Long Covid’ who would strongly disagree with that! It’s as if the ‘authorities’ think it’s ‘all over’ yet it clearly isn’t. A WHO (World Health Organisation) spokesperson recently said, quoted in the press, “People should still wear masks in enclosed places and follow the advice as previously given (ie distance) when in and amongst groups of people.” But he also said, “ In some countries, governments are giving the impression it (Covid 19) is not a concern any more, and that is a problem in itself and far from the truth.”

As for the streaming stopping, I think the reason is nothing to do with Covid or common sense for that matter. It was brought in initially to allow people to see matches, when no-one was allowed to attend. It was then continued to allow those contracting Covid (or those unsure) the chance to still see the game, on TV, but make the sensible choice not to go to the match and possibly infect others. Now streaming  has been removed, not because Covid isn’t an issue any more, as it could well be for years to come. It’s most likely because ‘the powers that be’ feel that allowing streaming to continue adversely affects numbers actually going to the match.

That's, more or less, what I feel. Away in the dim and distant past I cought Covid. I have no idea whether I am in the clear.

I have no idea whether I am clear of the virus or not.

Your comment:

"It’s most likely because ‘the powers that be’ feel that allowing streaming to continue adversely affects numbers actually going to the match."

seems to me to be right on the button.

Charge me exactly the price of my admission to the game.

I support my club. What I will not do is put other Partick Thistle supporters at risk.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Hopefully your feeling better.

Graeme from the media team had posted last week on Nomads on Facebook that a stream service for us out the country would continue and prices and details released soon, but no pay per game would be available only a monthly or season pass. Not seen it mentioned since.

Ive not heard COVID mention in Norway where I live  for a long time, our last advice from government (months and months ago) was you only isolated if you had a fever otherwise you can go to work/ go out as normal. I don’t know anyone that even tests anymore over here, it’s not mentioned in news or in newspapers.

27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Hopefully your feeling better.

Graeme from the media team had posted last week on Nomads on Facebook that a stream service for us out the country would continue and prices and details released soon, but no pay per game would be available only a monthly or season pass. Not seen it mentioned since.

Ive not heard COVID mention in Norway where I live  for a long time, our last advice from government (months and months ago) was you only isolated if you had a fever otherwise you can go to work/ go out as normal. I don’t know anyone that even tests anymore over here, it’s not mentioned in news or in newspapers.

That's more or less the rules here as well, stay at home until you feel better, but I can understand how others feel about going out & being near people & in a large crowd