Home to Hamilton Academical - Saturday 6 August

jagfox

A team that repeatedly passes across the back, passes back into the defence and passes back to the goalkeeper will inevitably lose goals through errors, never mind through the opposition being quick-witted, because all the defenders are human - not machines. Keeping doing those when the defence lacks key players, instead of getting the ball up the park, is illogical.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

The general consensus here seems ‘poor’ yet according to the stats Thistle had 70% possession as against 30% for Accies. There were five shots on target between them. Was it primarily about not taking chances or what?

Last season we tended to win when the opposition had most of the possession.

1 minute ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

The general consensus here seems ‘poor’ yet according to the stats Thistle had 70% possession as against 30% for Accies. There were five shots on target between them. Was it primarily about not taking chances or what?

We were by far the better team. However we didn't create too many clear cut chances. I agree our build up is too slow at times, but in the last 30 minutes we did up the tempo. I'm sure we will improve. 

Graham is a kind of puzzle. Did almost nothing for almost the entire match, but missed a couple of chances that many people would say were sitters. Maybe our defensively passing team didn't create enough openings for him? Then produces that all-important equalizer.

What do you do as a manager? Hook him early one and get on some hungry young guys with more energy and even panache, or do you hope that he'll eventually produce, like today?

5 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

The link between midfield and attack today was terrible. We are terrible at keeping possession and building from the back, so the ball constantly ends up going backwards and side ways. Shite to watch.

This is it, exactly.

Seems to be McCall's way.

Barcelona can do it until the opposition is hypnotized and then they go right through them at lightning speed. 

We can't do that.

Despite all his bluster, McCall's tactical strategy and ability isn't conducive to free-playing goalscoring. 

I seriously do not see the point of wasting money on four strikers! Why? On paper they all seem like good options, but McCall seems determined to play Graham on his own. 

1 minute ago, Jaggernaut said:

This is it, exactly.

Barcelona can do it until the opposition is hypnotized and then they go right through them at lightning speed. 

We can't do that.

9 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

The link between midfield and attack today was terrible. We are terrible at keeping possession and building from the back, so the ball constantly ends up going backwards and side ways. Shite to watch.

How can we be terrible at keeping possession if we had 70 per cent of the ball? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Graham is a kind of puzzle. Did almost nothing for almost the entire match, but missed a couple of chances that many people would say were sitters. Maybe our defensively passing team didn't create enough openings for him? Then produces that all-important equalizer.

What do you do as a manager? Hook him early one and get on some hungry young guys with more energy and even panache, or do you hope that he'll eventually produce, like today?

In some ways Tiffoney is the perfect foil for him - fast, determined and small. In many other sides, these two would be the attack in a 4-4-2, but Scottish football likes to play wingers and even turn effective goalscorers into wingers instead.

14 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

This is it, exactly.

We can't do that.

We are quite effective breaking away but keeping the ball isn’t our thing, the amount of times lawless and Fitz got it into their feet and gave it away was infuriating.

Not just them though the midfield aswell are just incapable of keeping the ball for more than 2/3 passes without giving it away. Really need to work on building from the back, it was so repetitive watching us having to start from the back again and again and again because we gave the ball away so cheaply.

16 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Are you telling me you watched that and thought we kept the ball well ? We had might have had 70% possession but we couldn’t keep it for more than 3/4 passes and most of the time it was punted back towards our defence and we had to try and rebuild again. Hamilton are pish, a better team could have took a few off us today the way we played.

1 minute ago, Thistle88 said:

We are quite effective breaking away but keeping the ball isn’t our thing, the amount of times lawless and Fitz got it into their feet and gave it away was infuriating.

Not just them though the midfield aswell are just incapable of keeping the ball for more than 2/3 passes without giving it away. Really need to work on building from the back, it was so repetitive watching us having to start from the back again and again and again because we gave the ball away so cheaply.

And yet we still managed 14 shots with 9 on target. 9 corners also.  I said we had 70 % possession but bbc says 61%. That is an attack minded team unless my eyes deceive me. Yes the team is far from perfect, but let's see how we progress. Onwards 

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

And yet we still managed 14 shots with 9 on target. 9 corners also.  I said we had 70 % possession but bbc says 61%. That is an attack minded team unless my eyes deceive me. Yes the team is far from perfect, but let's see how we progress. Onwards 

We may aswell just give them the ball back when we get a corner. I’m usually quite optimistic mate but that was ******* Dire.

2 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Are you telling me you watched that and thought we kept the ball well ? We had might have had 70% possession but we couldn’t keep it for more than 3/4 passes and most of the time it was punted back towards our defence and we had to try and rebuild again. Hamilton are pish, a better team could have took a few off us today the way we played.

Stats don't lie. My post above refers. Nb you can only play the team in front of you. And yes I was at the game. The consensus around me was the team played to the end and should have won the game. Most were relatively unbeat. Sorry about that 

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So do you think that was a good performance and the sort of football you would like to see us play ?

Just now, dl1971 said:

I've seen far far worse that that. 

Must have watched a different game, two 15minute spells over the 90mins I thought we were decent. Apart from that I seen nothing to be optimistic about.. Lack of movement from the front 3, lack of runs from midfield and just the most infuriating was the way we constantly cheaply have the ball away.

I hope we get better, I think we have a good team this season. But that performance was shite.

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So do you think that was a good performance and the sort of football you would like to see us play ?

7 out of 10. I like winning football in general. I like to be entertained like most. As I often say I'll wait until the first quarter before I judge this team. I don't do hand wringing two games into the season, when we appear to be joint top. Therein lies the road to madness....

31 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I think countless passes side to side and occasionally back can quite easily accumulate to 70% of possession. That doesn't mean you're going to win the match, as today showed.