Bilingual English/Gaelic

javeajag

There are perhaps some examples of Gaelic signage being perhaps a little inappropriate - rail station signage in areas where Gaelic was never widely spoken for example - but personally I cannot see how this initiative does any harm to the club - particularly given our Partick roots.

Can't speak Gaelic myself aside from a few approximations of some well known phrases - but I can identify most Calmac ferries by their Gaelic names! :-)

11 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Partick Thistle is in the area with the biggest concentration of Gaelic speakers on the planet, and was the club of the late Johnny MacKenzie - AFAIK the only Scottish internationalist who was a native Gaelic speaker.

What does that mean ? How many extra supporters is it going to bring in. Or sponsorship. Or income of any sort ? 

• Like 2

Funny how the attitudes of the two large Glasgow clubs contrast on linguistic issues: the Ibrox lot hate anything that isn't English, anyway (although they have supporters who are Gaelic speakers), but the soap-dodgers are divided between those that are much too refined ever to have heard of any other language, and those that claim Scottish Gaelic is just a dialect of Irish anyway. Sadly, both clubs have their following in the Western Isles, but it's not divided along cultural or linguistic grounds - and there are a few outposts of civilisation where our fans gather.

Edited by Fearchar

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

What does that mean ? How many extra supporters is it going to bring in. Or sponsorship. Or income of any sort ? 

Who cares about extra supporters or sponsorship or income of any sort from this, if it's costing the club nothing?

Is that what you feel about all "community" campaigns that the club participates in, or only this one?

Just now, Lenziejag said:

No idea - although there will be some funding for the signage, I imagine. Not treating some of your customer base as linguistic pariahs presumably has some PR benefits, but there are potential downsides if a shitstorm of racism is raised by it, as it could lead to loyal fans deciding that a toxic environment had been created that they'd rather avoid.

14 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Who cares about extra supporters or sponsorship or income of any sort from this, if it's costing the club nothing?

Is that what you feel about all "community" campaigns that the club participates in, or only this one?

We have a limited resource.  The football club resource should be used on football matters. Let’s say eg Gerry spent some time on this and it meant we missed out on the defender - would you care then ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

We have a limited resource.  The football club resource should be used on football matters. Let’s say eg Gerry spent some time on this and it meant we missed out on the defender - would you care then ?

Lol !

So, you think the club should do absolutely nothing in the community in case eg Gerry spends some time doing an interview and we miss out on a defender!

LOL!

• Like 1

In my opinion the club should be doing more to attract fans and to make those that attend feel welcome. We have, for example, the colours red and yellow, which are very auspicious in ethnic Chinese circles, yet never AFAIK have we even attempted to reach out to the many ethnic Chinese students from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and so on. It seems obvious to start from the cultures closest to home, and then move on to embrace more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Lol !

So, you think the club should do absolutely nothing in the community in case eg Gerry spends some time doing an interview and we miss out on a defender!

LOL!

It’s about directing the resources to the right tasks at the right time. During the transfer window isn’t the right time in my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say we have missed out on zero signings as a result of some bilingual signs being put up.

I’ll go out on another limb and say there are zero signings that we would have got if we had not done this.

It is irrelevant to the players put on the pitch, other than it might improve some fans experience and they might be more likely to come back, generating revenue. Having said that, I’m not sure it is the first job that needs doing on the stadium.