Bilingual English/Gaelic

javeajag

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’ll go out on another limb and say there are zero signings that we would have got if we had not done this.

It is irrelevant to the players put on the pitch, other than it might improve some fans experience and they might be more likely to come back, generating revenue. Having said that, I’m not sure it is the first job that needs doing on the stadium.

I agree there may be other things the club could spend money on the stadium rather than this, but the club didn’t fund this, I believe Glasgow City Council fully funded this.

It has no impact on English speakers as they can still read the exit to toilet signs, it may help make a Gaelic speaker (I know of 5 at Firhill) feel a little bit more at home.

I would though be interested to see what other languages are spoken at Firhill (as a primary language) by our support base.

• Like 1

My objection isn’t to the project,although I will wait to see what the objectives actually are, but to the timing of it. 
It seems to me that in the lead up to the 1st home league game of the season and during the transfer windows, the total focus should be on the football club. Forget anything and everything else that takes resource away, whether it is organising signage or half-time entertainment or whatever. 
Missing out on a defender and the problems with entry may well point to resources being pulled in too many directions.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I would though be interested to see what other languages are spoken at Firhill (as a primary language) by our support base.

There was a gentleman sitting behind me talking Gibberish for 90 minutes. Given his fluency, I'd say it may well be his primary language. Any ideas how his matchday experience could be enhanced? Perhaps a sectioned off area where other Gibberish speakers could congregate? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There was a gentleman sitting behind me talking Gibberish for 90 minutes. Given his fluency, I'd say it may well be his primary language. Any ideas how his matchday experience could be enhanced? Perhaps a sectioned off area where other Gibberish speakers could congregate? 

That’s quite a common tongue at Firhill at times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

My objection isn’t to the project,although I will wait to see what the objectives actually are, but to the timing of it. 
It seems to me that in the lead up to the 1st home league game of the season and during the transfer windows, the total focus should be on the football club. Forget anything and everything else that takes resource away, whether it is organising signage or half-time entertainment or whatever. 
Missing out on a defender and the problems with entry may well point to resources being pulled in too many directions.

This project won’t be run by the playing staff who identify transfer targets, signage won’t be put up by Gerry who negotiates transfer targets. 
I don’t see how it affects transfer targets, the kick up on this compared to other issues yesterday with folk getting to or getting in the game is bizarre. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok…..so how much did it cost the club then ?

If it cost us even 1 person deciding not to turn up yesterday because they couldn’t buy a ticket online after 2pm it was too much. Or even somebody not able to have time to buy a pint in the Aitken Suite it was too much. We will never know.

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

This project won’t be run by the playing staff who identify transfer targets, signage won’t be put up by Gerry who negotiates transfer targets. 
I don’t see how it affects transfer targets, the kick up on this compared to other issues yesterday with folk getting to or getting in the game is bizarre. 

Are you still trying to win people over to TJF ?  Your comments and Woodstocks have just convinced me not to join.
Did I say he put the signage up ? But I bet he had to spend some time on it ? Either in the initial discussions or planning who was going to be involved. He probably also had to have some involvement in the halftime entertainment. All this takes away from the primary job of running the club. 

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

If it cost us even 1 person deciding not to turn up yesterday because they couldn’t buy a ticket online after 2pm it was too much. Or even somebody not able to have time to buy a pint in the Aitken Suite it was too much. We will never know.

The ticketing issue and the Gaelic signage are not connected. The signage was in place way prior to Saturday, the ticketing issue happened on Saturday 

• Like 1

You’re all wetting your knickers over absolutely nothing. A bit of Gaelic signage will have absolutely no effect on the operational capacity those who work at Firhill and will have zero impact on the composition and readiness of the playing squad.

It will have zero impact on the ability of the Club to pay attention to other bits of the stadium (if anything it will be an excuse proactively to inspect parts of the stadium to make it more fit for purpose on match days).

There are plenty things we’d like to see improved at Firhill on and off the pitch, but this isn’t getting in the way of doing them. It’s just a nice thing that harms nobody (except the precious sensibilities of people who think Gaelic is some sort of political statement when it isn’t). Could we include some signage for other groups and reach out to communities who speak other languages to get them to Firhill? Absolutely. Let’s see if there’s funding for it and build a new generation of Jags fans. That’s not mutually exclusive with this.

It is worth remembering that some of the best Gaelic revival initiatives were initiatives of the original coalition administrations at Holyrood (it was a big thing for Jack McConnell) and they were supported on a cross-party basis. It’s a tragic state of affairs when something as benign as preserving linguistic culture and history in a modern setting is turned into a proxy for internet-dwelling nationalists of all persuasions.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You’re all wetting your knickers over absolutely nothing. A bit of Gaelic signage will have absolutely no effect on the operational capacity those who work at Firhill and will have zero impact on the composition and readiness of the playing squad.

It will have zero impact on the ability of the Club to pay attention to other bits of the stadium (if anything it will be an excuse proactively to inspect parts of the stadium to make it more fit for purpose on match days).

There are plenty things we’d like to see improved at Firhill on and off the pitch, but this isn’t getting in the way of doing them. It’s just a nice thing that harms nobody (except the precious sensibilities of people who think Gaelic is some sort of political statement when it isn’t). Could we include some signage for other groups and reach out to communities who speak other languages to get them to Firhill? Absolutely. Let’s see if there’s funding for it and build a new generation of Jags fans. That’s not mutually exclusive with this.

It is worth remembering that some of the best Gaelic revival initiatives were initiatives of the original coalition administrations at Holyrood (it was a big thing for Jack McConnell) and they were supported on a cross-party basis. It’s a tragic state of affairs when something as benign as preserving linguistic culture and history in a modern setting is turned into a proxy for internet-dwelling nationalists of all persuasions.

Politics ? What’s politics got to do with it ? Diplomacy is another matter, coming from someone, who is leading the bid for fan ownership. Everything that takes away from full focus of running the football side of the club removes your attention from it. As I said, the signage and the HT entertainment were the wrong time.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Take some random things and connect them  ……you’ve no evidence for any of that…. but I guess I could then say if two people turned up because of the Gaelic signage and bought two pints we’ve made some money out of it ….

if you don’t like Gaelic just say so

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Take some random things and connect them  ……you’ve no evidence for any of that…. but I guess I could then say if two people turned up because of the Gaelic signage and bought two pints we’ve made some money out of it ….

if you don’t like Gaelic just say so

You aren’t following are you ?

Politics ? What’s politics got to do with it ? Diplomacy is another matter, coming from someone, who is leading the bid for fan ownership. Everything that takes away from full focus of running the football side of the club removes your attention from it. As I said, the signage and the HT entertainment were the wrong time.

So when should half-time entertainment take place?

• Like 1

My understanding that this whole initiative was put in motion by some of our Gaelic speaking fans, they engaged with the the other party to see if this could be funded etc prior to it going to the club merely for approval.

Football is meant to be for all and if this helps some of our fan base feel more at home then it’s a success,  on a basic program of changing signage it’s hardly going to eat up much time at the club, I’ve been involved in doing this in factories with a footprint massively in excess of Firhill where every exit, fire point & emergency station signage had to be changed to comply with HSE legislation and it’s not a large task for anyone to coordinate or to swap signs, especially as under regs signage needs checking on a routinely basis as per your risk assessments, insurance and QMS. 

• Like 3

Are Glasgow City Council pandering to the minorities in the city? 1% of people in Glasgow speak Gaelic. The national percentage is 1.1%.  Why spend public money on this when such a minority will gain out of it.? What about other languages in the city? Are we to have all of these listed on signs around Firhill? Bonkers stuff.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Politics ? What’s politics got to do with it ?

Anyone who reads the Twitter responses to the Club’s Comms on this knows exactly what I mean.

Diplomacy is another matter, coming from someone, who is leading the bid for fan ownership.

There’s a place for diplomacy, but equally when people are saying daft things there is a place for candour.

Everything that takes away from full focus of running the football side of the club removes your attention from it. As I said, the signage and the HT entertainment were the wrong time.

Putting up some Gaelic signs does not “take away from full focus of running the football side of the club”.

You are presenting a false dichotomy.

Personally I think we should stop selling pies on the first home game of the season. It might distract the Club’s full attention from the first team getting results on the pitch.

Pies should only be allowed once the transfer window is shut. That way we know it doesn’t distract from signing another centre back.

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Personally I think we should stop selling pies on the first home game of the season. It might distract the Club’s full attention from the first team getting results on the pitch.

Pies should only be allowed once the transfer window is shut. That way we know it doesn’t distract from signing another centre back.

Here is another example of absolute rubbish. I didn’t say anything about just getting results on the pitch. You should resign.