Bilingual English/Gaelic

javeajag

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Personally I think we should stop selling pies on the first home game of the season. It might distract the Club’s full attention from the first team getting results on the pitch.

Pies should only be allowed once the transfer window is shut. That way we know it doesn’t distract from signing another centre back.

WJ, I object in the strongest terms to such a suggestion. As we all know, pies are the only reason we turn up at all. I’d rather have my pie than sign a world-class player. It’s pie-ist and I hate it.

But seriously for a moment, the bilingual signage should be commended. I like others don’t see the point of Gaelic signs at Motherwell railway station, but we do have a catchment area in the west end that includes quite a few folk with highland roots. Step into the Park Bar of an evening and you will find them.

A logical extension of this in the future may be to add Polish or other languages. I see the whole thing as a commitment to being an inclusive & welcoming club and it should be commended.  

To be honest of all of the things in all of the world to get upset aboutI don’t see why anyone would be that bothered by this. Unless, you have decided to hate Gaelic for some strange reason it’s a language for God’s sake it’s makes no more sense to get upset over Gaelic than it would to get upset about English, Chinese, French or German.

• Like 3

Of course nobody gets it. I was never complaining about the signage, but doing things that take away from the main purpose of the football club, particularly at the start of the season when things are rusty. And what’s happened ? Total screw up getting folk in on Saturday, resulting in an internal inquiry, with the offices closed today, essentially shutting the business down for the day. Good work. I just hope the potential new owners take note, although anybody that tries to use ridicule shouldn’t be anywhere near the leadership of PTFC.

If you accept that "the main purpose of the football club" is to win football matches and if you follow the arguement that nothing should be done that deflects from that purpose, you could make a case for doing nothing to resolve the entry issues that occured on Saturday as that doesn't directly impact on on field issues. 

I wouldn't suggest you should do that though. That would be a bit silly. Much as suggesting that some signage has any impact on "the main purpose of the football club" is a bit silly. 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

... I was never complaining about the signage ...

On 8/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, Lenziejag said:

... How many extra supporters is it going to bring in. Or sponsorship. Or income of any sort ? 

On 8/6/2022 at 2:24 PM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

More people speak Urdu or Polish in Scotland than Gaelic.  Would attract more fans using them.

22 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

...  Tokenism box ticking.  

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Of course nobody gets it. I was never complaining about the signage, but doing things that take away from the main purpose of the football club, particularly at the start of the season when things are rusty. And what’s happened ? Total screw up getting folk in on Saturday, resulting in an internal inquiry, with the offices closed today, essentially shutting the business down for the day. Good work. I just hope the potential new owners take note, although anybody that tries to use ridicule shouldn’t be anywhere near the leadership of PTFC.

Replacing signage before the first home game of the season does not "take away from the main purpose of the football club".

You are saying ridiculous things.

Whatever one's thoughts on the turnstile issues (no one thinks it was the Club's finest hour) there is no evidence that it was caused by, or in any way resulted from, bilingual signage being put up in recent days.

Unless you know differently?

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

If you have any evidence between getting a sign printed and the entrance issues let’s see it …if not you have just taken two random things with no connection to each other to have a moan 

Ah... Don't you just love the internet/social media era, when anything of any significance or not is at risk of becoming another epically out of proportion online debate... There are lots of things in this world and at Partick Thistle to take issue with - surely bilingual signs and something a little bit different in terms of half time entertainment do not rank highly amongst them...

I presume  that this will be picked up by BBC Alba at some point and even if it brings a bit of extra publicity for the Club it has to be a positive thing in my opinion.

I have no concern over the potential loss of some visiting supporters should we have a fixture against The Rangers in protest against the signage.

It reminds me of a guy when finding out the cost of hand gel was £5 a bottle in the local shop said "I've never shopped there before and I tell you, I wont be going back!"

5 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Only in Scotland could a promotion of our linguistic cultural heritage cause such a ruckus….sad .

Unfortunately, some people would be only too happy to see all of Scottish cultural heritage wiped out, to be replaced by Britannia. It was attempted in schools for long enough, and the attempts go on through the media on a daily basis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

As you say, the main purpose of a football club is winning football matches. Of course, it is well known that money helps achieve this.

It seems that this initiative (free to PTFC) both increases our profile with, and wins friends amongst, Scottish/local Gaelic speakers. It also has provided us with significant free publicity. This type of initiative can therefore bring in money and therefore fall under the scope of the main purpose of a football club.

Partick Thistle FC promote the club as a family club which is part of the community. I think the club demonstrated these values, for example,  during lockdown.

I welcome and applauded this initiative and suggestions that we should , as an inclusive club,  expand this initiative to include other languages that are prevalent in the community.

Those on twitter who see this iniative as some sort of political conspiracy  ought to get a touch of reality. I suppose the gentleman who said he has lost all sympathy for PTFC and will never watch another game will:

- if in need of medical attention decline to use the ambulance service and make his own way to hospital,

- decline police help when a squad car arrives at his door,

- if on holiday in Ireland stop at the Galway border as the County is an Irish Gaelic Language protected area

- not bother ever visiting  the Western Isles or Wales.

As far as coming to Firhill is concerned it would be good if he stayed away as he won't be missed and his values are clearly not compatible with those of a family, community and all inclusive club of which I for one am very proud to call myself a supporter!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Replacing signage before the first home game of the season does not "take away from the main purpose of the football club".

You are saying ridiculous things.

Whatever one's thoughts on the turnstile issues (no one thinks it was the Club's finest hour) there is no evidence that it was caused by, or in any way resulted from, bilingual signage being put up in recent days.

Unless you know differently?

You are trying to make it one issue when I haven’t. It is the cumulative effect of all jobs that need extra attention that can cause problems. It has already been pointed out that the 1st home league game has caused entry problems in the past. On top of that we had the free buses for ST holders, also caused some problems. Why add to that with non essential stuff like HT entertainment and the signage. I am not making this cultural or political - just business.

7 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

You are trying to make it one issue when I haven’t. It is the cumulative effect of all jobs that need extra attention that can cause problems. It has already been pointed out that the 1st home league game has caused entry problems in the past. On top of that we had the free buses for ST holders, also caused some problems. Why add to that with non essential stuff like HT entertainment and the signage. I am not making this cultural or political - just business.

I therefore assume you believe the free bus initiative should have also been postponed till close of the transfer window? Like the signage and HT entertainment, this was also a new intiative outside of the core business. The downside, of course, is fewer free busses for season ticket holders.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Keep digging.

But don't let it get in the way of your business. Shouldn't you be focusing on your work right now? 

Or maybe this is your leisure time.....  but maybe that's what some people used to get the initiative that you seem to hate up and running at Firhill.

45 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I therefore assume you believe the free bus initiative should have also been postponed till close of the transfer window? Like the signage and HT entertainment, this was also a new intiative outside of the core business. The downside, of course, is fewer free busses for season ticket holders.

Well no , as it encouraged people to buy ST’s which is definitely part of the main purpose of the football club.

43 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Well no , as it encouraged people to buy ST’s which is definitely part of the main purpose of the football club.

So, potentially increasing ST purchases via one initiative (free bus travel) is OK, but potentially increasing ST purchases via another initiative (increasing visibility and goodwill within a particular local community, and increasing visibility generally through media coverage) is not OK. Have I got this right?

23 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

So, potentially increasing ST purchases via one initiative (free bus travel) is OK, but potentially increasing ST purchases via another initiative (increasing visibility and goodwill within a particular local community, and increasing visibility generally through media coverage) is not OK. Have I got this right?

Well ok - if the cost/benefit analysis had been done.