Entrance issues at Firhill

Barney Rubble

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

It was a mess today for some reason.

Whether using the app or card there were a huge number of the 2970 crowd stuck outside as the game kicked off. Not ideal or good PR for the club's much vaunted app system.

Anyone know why it went so badly wrong today?

Don't know for definite but in my case I would have bought my ticket via the website but that closed way before kick off. I assumed that meant people like me then all went to the ticket office and it couldn't keep up with the volume. 

I saw Gerry Britton appear just before 3pm and head into the ticket booth.  There was at least one other window in the ticket booth they could have opened and they had the personnel to man it so I am assuming there was some other bottleneck in the ticket booth.

I didn't get into the ground until around 3.15 and there were hundred behind me. Don't understand why kick off wasn't delayed

51 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

It was a mess today for some reason.

Whether using the app or card there were a huge number of the 2970 crowd stuck outside as the game kicked off. Not ideal or good PR for the club's much vaunted app system.

Anyone know why it went so badly wrong today?

Any issues were probably accentuated by having less turnstiles with Accies being in JHS 

30 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not at all being divisive Norge, but how does that explain that folks with season cards (presumably updated electronically) experienced difficulties?

It doesn’t at all, but if we’d had 4 extra gates (our normal) the queues would have been significantly less . 

34 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not at all being divisive Norge, but how does that explain that folks with season cards (presumably updated electronically) experienced difficulties?

3 with season tickets of us arrived about 2.55 due to traffic delays but got in no problem before kick off. We used the first pair of gates which had a single queue then split in 2 at the gate entrance. I think other queues seemed to be busier & moving slower. 

Did others have season ticket issues?

Not sure I understand the comments about turnstiles being a contributing factor. The queues weren't at the turnstiles they were at the ticketing booth.

It took me 25 minutes to get a ticket but only a couple of minutes from then to get through the turnstiles to a seat. 

Only issue with the Hamilton fans was they also couldn't buy a ticket and the nearest window on the ticket booth wouldn't sell them tickets as it was only open to deal with issues when using the tickets. That led to a lot of annoyed Hamilton fans then trying to cut into the lines of mainly Thistle fans.

I watched as one Hamilton fan tried to get through the turnstiles and pay with cash only to get trapped and then ejected by security.

If we're going to promote online ticket purchases then it needs to allow purchases to nearer kickoff time.

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Not sure I understand the comments about turnstiles being a contributing factor. The queues weren't at the turnstiles they were at the ticketing booth.

It took me 25 minutes to get a ticket but only a couple of minutes from then to get through the turnstiles to a seat. 

Only issue with the Hamilton fans was they also couldn't buy a ticket and the nearest window on the ticket booth wouldn't sell them tickets as it was only open to deal with issues when using the tickets. That led to a lot of annoyed Hamilton fans then trying to cut into the lines of mainly Thistle fans.

I watched as one Hamilton fan tried to get through the turnstiles and pay with cash only to get trapped and then ejected by security.

If we're going to promote online ticket purchases then it needs to allow purchases to nearer kickoff time.

The turnstiles weren't accepting some (maybe a lot) of physical season tickets. This has happened every year to some degree when the cards are re-charged remotely. Not all of them work. I had my season ticket from last year and as it has happened to me before I also downloaded the bar-code from the app. I used this when two out of the three season tickets in front of me didn't get through.

That's the second time I remember recently without the interruption of covid I remember issues with away fans in the JH with our latest failure of  a peny pinching exercise. I remember Clyde fans mocking John Lambies death and then allowed to mingle with and verbally abuse home fans in the concourse, many being families up that end. Then yesterday we had four turnstiles and a pie stall and toilets for 150 odd Hamilton fans whilst hundreds of Thistle fans were stuck outside after kick off.  Then you have Hamilton fans climbing the segregation during the game.

Whole experience is crap about the stadium. Holes all over the JH roof, broken and bent seats covered in bird shit, cold water in the toilets. Two empty sides of the ground. Do the people running things even care or have any pride in our support or our home? Thistle fans turfed out the JH the second the Old Firm or even an team like Hearts appear now. Ayr United are building a new stand, Arbroath investing heavily in hospitality. Do we just wait until the day the place crumbles?  Stadium hasn't had any TLC in years. Let's not even start on the training ground. 

Edited by avie-man

There were about 10 wannabee "hardmen" from Accies support walking over to Thistle fans in the JHS.  Their actions screamed "my Dad never told me he loved me".  The stewards dealt with it and 2 big guys with "security" on their tops did a very good job.  Police should have turfed them out as they were easy to identify IMHO.  

Football at 20 quid is expensive.

That price does not encourage walk-up spectators, and even more so when clubs (not just Thistle) do not encourage new customers by limiting available purchase options on the day of the game. The weather on the day might encourage more people to consider attending. No chance if clubs have an inflexible and limited  ticketing system.

SPFL football will kill itself with that approach.

Edited by Barney Rubble

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

That price does not encourage walk-up spectators, and even more so when clubs (not just Thistle) do not encourage new customers by limiting available purchase options on the day of the game. The weather on the day might encourage more people to consider attending. No chance if clubs have an inflexible and limited  ticketing system.

Totally agree.

42 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Another example that occurred a few time in my past life. Group of us having pre match pints. Joined by others who tagged along with us to the game. If those others can't get in then not only would the club lose out on that additional income but one or two of the usual group may also give the game a miss.

Made the point a million times, but the ticketing situation at Scottish games is a disgrace. QR codes and E-Tickets are fine for those who can use them, but a sizable number of our fans cannot. Heaven forbid these people turn up to try and buy a tickets on the day. Covid nonsense used as an excuse to move to an almost completely "cashless" system. 

It wouldn't be difficult to rig up a web-based payment system similar to the online one, but in a booth with a printer to print out the ticket with a QRC. The disused turnstiles on Firhill Road could be converted into an in and out gate where payment cards could be used either in a slot or on-screen, discreetly away from prying eyes.

18 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Made the point a million times, but the ticketing situation at Scottish games is a disgrace. QR codes and E-Tickets are fine for those who can use them, but a sizable number of our fans cannot. Heaven forbid these people turn up to try and buy a tickets on the day. Covid nonsense used as an excuse to move to an almost completely "cashless" system. 

I reckon "cashless" means not exactly "fanless," but "less fans."

Not grammatically correct, I know.; it should be "fewer fans," but you get the point.

19 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

87% of the uk population have a smart phone

92% of the uk population have access to the internet 

83% of transactions in the UK are cashless 

unless thistle fans don’t represent the population as a whole then your point is misplaced