Entrance issues at Firhill

Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, G SUS said:

They could pay you in cash and you could purchase both tickets online. Or he could buy his ticket online. Or he could make a decision closer to the weekend - unlike the Dundee debacle at least you can buy a ticket right up to kick off. 

None of which is the fault of PT staff who have presumably asked the question and are waiting on an answer, otherwise the info would be published.

I could - but why should I have to do so?

It's up to the clubs to facilitate on-day purchases either in person or online if they seriously want to encourage business..

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I could - but why should I have to do so?

It's up to the clubs to facilitate on-day purchases either in person or online if they seriously want to encourage business..

Agreed. And as long as they confirm the cash gate position(either way) by Thursday/Friday it ultimately doesn’t make a difference. 

Well I own a smartphone, I'm IT literate  but I would rather NOT buy a ticket on line and just PATG. I make exceptions for PTFC but that's just because I'm a regular customer and it would be the only way of streaming / watching games last season as I opted not to attend. If I was visiting Firhill as an away fan I would be hacked off with no way to PATG.

I hate having to create online accounts for every single organisation you deal with and it hardly seems worth giving your details over to a group of people who you are likely only going to be dealing with twice a season. For me it's a security / digital footprint issue and paying by cash eliminates having to hand over your details and doing it all in advance as said by others so you can just go on the day and for me it's far simpler way of working.

I really don't understand the drive to this method or the necessity - I don't know if this boils down to

1. Trust issues with the people at the turnstiles / ticket offices.
  2. Being able to track / monitor people's activities.
  3. Reducing costs

Sure offer smartphone, buy online etc. if people want to do this but please leave the option open for PATG.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, P-R said:

Well I own a smartphone, I'm IT literate  but I would rather NOT buy a ticket on line and just PATG. I make exceptions for PTFC but that's just because I'm a regular customer and it would be the only way of streaming / watching games last season as I opted not to attend. If I was visiting Firhill as an away fan I would be hacked off with no way to PATG.

I hate having to create online accounts for every single organisation you deal with and it hardly seems worth giving your details over to a group of people who you are likely only going to be dealing with twice a season. For me it's a security / digital footprint issue and paying by cash eliminates having to hand over your details and doing it all in advance as said by others so you can just go on the day and for me it's far simpler way of working.

I really don't understand the drive to this method or the necessity - I don't know if this boils down to

1. Trust issues with the people at the turnstiles / ticket offices.
  2. Being able to track / monitor people's activities.
  3. Reducing costs

Sure offer smartphone, buy online etc. if people want to do this but please leave the option open for PATG.

This, this and a thousand times this.

Well said.

One of the many responsibilities I've had while working for Perth & Kinross Council has been the implementation of online services and associated channel shift programme. As far as I understood the original main aim was to improve services and give customers more options and flexibility. However it became increasingly apparent that quite a few people involved thought that channel shift in itself was the objective. They gave lip service to digital exclusion, however they had no real answers. Points were made about cost savings, that cost per transaction was lower for online. However in reality none of these savings on paper were actually realised. In fact I think costs actually increased because the systems implemented for digital were expensive.

So I ask - what is Thistle's objective of going cashless? No matter all the stats produced to evidence the move to a cashless society, there are still a significant number of customers who would prefer to buy a ticket using cash or card outside the ground. Why on earth would you want to exclude them? What is the benefit? If it's saving money, then do the figures stack up? Are the actual savings greater than the lost sales?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No matter how you feel about this, shouldn't we just leave this to the current Club Board to decide which way to go? They clearly know what's best for us, and on a relative basis our opinions are of little consequence.

Oh how true that is, sadly m’lady

1 minute ago, fenski said:

And there's lot of references in previous posts about this being in line with trend to cashless transactions. But being truly cashless wouldn't required a convoluted online purchase - you would be able to use your card or phone at the turnstile.

Except that cards and so called smartphones comprehensively failed for numerous (and I mean numerous) people last Saturday.

So that one's on the club to make the procedure failsafe.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't explain why I had an issue.

I had renewed. Although I did have to chase up getting a receipt.

Card was supposed to be OK as advised at time of renewal over the telephone.

I have still to receive a new card. My card had been retained by the club so they knew there was an issue

I wasn't contacted - I had to telephone yesterday to resolve the situation

I have to say that at renewal and over the phone that the staff were courteous

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

To summarise:

A small number of fans tried to get in using out of date season tickets.

A number of fans with season tickets had not been issued with new cards.

Sh!t software which crashed and poor staff training which meant nobody could fix it (turn it off and turn it on again)

No apology

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Auld Man said:

I have still to receive a new card. My card had been retained by the club so they knew there was an issue

My situation was similar. Going to portacabin tonight pre-game to pick up a new season card.

The Club Statement seemed to be apportioning blame to supporters like you and me who renewed well in advance, even though we were expressly told that our old season card would be fine.

Agree that the tone of the statement was in complete contrast to the helpful attitude of the staff when I phoned.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, The Auld Man said:

Sadly the above has not been resolved 

I had been told my season ticket would be posted last week.

Still hadn't arrived at so I phoned at 3.50pm today.

Kept on hold for 5 minutes and then at 3.55pm recording of Ian McCall informing me that the office was closed and to leave a message. The office closes at 4.00pm.

I will try again tomorrow but considering contacting my bank to organise a refund. 

Edited by The Auld Man
Typo with the times

6 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

The official app should have an updated code that you can scan for entry.  This can be used while you wait for a card.

But @fenski makes a good point.  Why not a gate(s) that charge £20 and you get charged £20 on your debit card? Easy.

I've seen buskers with card machines - this can't be difficult.

My problems are a tad different. There are usually four or five of us, me, my sons and two of my grandchildren that attend games. We are not season ticket holders. Over the last few home games I have trecked up to Firhill and got an envelope with the requisite number of tickets. Simple but pretty inconvenient. Perhaps if we could commit earlier in the week that method would be valid, PTFC could post the tickets out to one of the adults. But is hard to confirm who's coming and who isn't. This weekend it will be four of us, me, my two sons and only one of the grandchildren. I imagine many people may be in that sort of situation.

This week, as someone else was paying,  he was provided with electronic tickets. It sounds straightforward enough. You search your phone and wave it in front of some receiver and in you go. Attempting to do most of this as a dry run for the day, it was a bit confusing.

Perhaps it is simply because it is the first time we've used this system, but I am a tad alarmed that I will make an a**e of it.

I am 74, y'know. 

Wish me well. Wish us all well.