Options for action against the board

MarciaBlaine

Jaqui Low has always came across to me as a buffoon.  Friends with all the right people.  A "PR expert" who has handled PR of the club terribly.  She'd post on social media about food banks then show off her new sports car, house, stay in Blytheswood Hotel etc.  The Gary Caldwell love in looking at him like an adoring Auntie. The sneaky way she has went about the fan ownership scheme.  She wasn't even a Thistle fan ffs!  I wish I 'd been there when the old board took control, booted her out the premises and hired Ian McCall.

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Regime change is required but let’s not make it personal. We could do with freshening up the Club Board; probably time we had a new Chair to steer the fan-owned ship with a careful hand on the tiller

She won’t step down mate unfortunately.  For whatever reason and I still don’t fully understand what she is getting out of it - she seems determined to hang on.  Maybe we will find out this week 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

She won’t step down mate unfortunately.  For whatever reason and I still don’t fully understand what she is getting out of it - she seems determined to hang on.  Maybe we will find out this week 

Maybe TL. The whole saga baffles me. All I know is that it’s not doing the Club any good.

We need a swift resolution as to where Colin Weirs legacy shares go. My hopes of them going to a democratic group of fans is fading. The TJF proposals were the best I could see. Who knows who will own our Club later this month?

• Like 1

Friday night's game against ICT is on BBC and would be a good night for a public show of action against the board. Whether that's banners or non-stop chanting, I'm more than happy to get stuck in and make it happen despite being just 5 days away. 

We do a lot of talking on this forum. But I think actions speak a lot louder. I remember the younger guys organising something to reverse the decision to give away fans the North Stand. No reason we can't do the same now. 

So. Ideas... 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiThistle said:

“Show, don’t tell.”

If you’re on TV, a visual is a must.  I don’t have the same PR experience as Jacqui, but my university degree is in PR and the importance of visuals is paramount.

Not saying chants aren’t powerful, but they’re supplemental.

100% this - a picture tells a thousand words and can be re-shown on websites and papers later.

Turning our backs en masse at a certain minute?  

Side note - BBC would be looking at any interesting angles for their programming.

If a TJF representative had a contact there and wanted to put a bug in their ear about what the banner means and why people are chanting as such, you might get the commentators to give an on-air mention.

It might not even take a contact - just getting to the right programming coordinators or something.

• Like 1

Am working Friday night so gonna miss this one but agree regards visuals.  From a live BBC angle any banner would be more noticeable unfurled from JL stand.  The toilet roll throw at a specific moment of the game would certainly get the reasons why mentioned if anyone had a word in the ear of the BBC  pre match.

Personally still think players need full support as this is not their mess so for that I’m not a fan of walkouts, booing or turning backs especially as BBC may misconstrue that as performance based when ICT go 3 up.

Would advise bringing own loo roll as never any in the toilets at ground (same usually with handtowels, soap and hot water).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

Am working Friday night so gonna miss this one but agree regards visuals.  From a live BBC angle any banner would be more noticeable unfurled from JL stand.  The toilet roll throw at a specific moment of the game would certainly get the reasons why mentioned if anyone had a word in the ear of the BBC  pre match.

Personally still think players need full support as this is not their mess so for that I’m not a fan of walkouts, booing or turning backs especially as BBC may misconstrue that as performance based when ICT go 3 up.

Would advise bringing own loo roll as never any in the toilets at ground (same usually with handtowels, soap and hot water).

Sound subtle but sound advice @elevenone. I won’t be going, but I feel if I had been, I’d have needed a loo roll for each half.

5 hours ago, elevenone said:

Would you get in with a hand towel, bar of soap and container of hot water? 

• Haha 1

I haven't joined TJF. I'm undecided about fan ownership for PTFC. However I'm unhappy with the current attitude from within my club.  Not for the first time of course. I'm only here for another two home games before I go home for a month or two. Do I turn up on Friday? Do I boycott? Will there be any action other than on here? (this is a serious question, not a slight)

Trivial in the wider scheme of things, but I've been thinking about it for a while, as it relates to what seems like a moribund/stagnating "fund-raising" operation. As soon as I get clearance from the bank (of S), I'm ending my DD to the Centenary Fund. Will be happy to re-assign the same amount or even more to something else good that emerges in the future  ( too many "signed ball" wins that never materialized can be seen as one reason for abandonment). Not sure yet about tying this decision into the 3BCs/JLow  stramash, but content to keep my powder dry for now. Can anybody put a figure on how the the CF does in fact raise for PTFC each year? I ask that because the prizes on offer seem quite paltry by today's standards.

48 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Well, a campaign has to be led.  TJF are the obvious choice to lead it. But, will they? And yes, when actions are uncoordinated they often either fall flat or fizzle out. There has to be coordination by some body or other. If there is a vacuum in terms of leadership regarding protest/disapproval it will likely look feeble. 3BCs/PTFC board may well be banking on this!

I actually don't agree. Separating the (TJF-cheerleading) campaig/pressure group from the prospective fan-ownership group (TJF) seems like the smart move.

• Like 1

Just now, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

But, do you not agree a group of some sort has to coordinate protest, even if it’s not TJF? Or do you think ad hoc individuals/ groups should just get on with it themselves? 

100% it needs to be organised and in a group. I just think asking TJF to be the good cop and the bad cop is too tricky, and I think the delicate balancing act they've had to perform this year shows that.

(Deep apologies for the mixed metaphor)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MarciaBlaine said:

100% it needs to be organised and in a group. I just think asking TJF to be the good cop and the bad cop is too tricky, and I think the delicate balancing act they've had to perform this year shows that.

(Deep apologies for the mixed metaphor)

Marcia, sorry I don’t know your real name. Would you be up for leading such a protest group? You seem clued up and able.

31 minutes ago, MarciaBlaine said:

I actually don't agree. Separating the (TJF-cheerleading) campaig/pressure group from the prospective fan-ownership group (TJF) seems like the smart move.

Are they still a prospective fan ownership group ? What about the Group that had the open letter ?

On 8/17/2022 at 4:09 PM, sandy said:

Marcia, sorry I don’t know your real name. Would you be up for leading such a protest group? You seem clued up and able.

Eek! Well I've read a book or two on this stuff...

That said, I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of anyone 'leading' it as such, but I'd definitely be up for contributing to something that's more of a co-ordinated and organised collective effort.

I would also add that a community group (which is essentially what this is imo) needs a community to work well, building on existing bonds between like-minded people. That's what I think TJF got so right recently with face to face interactions at games, barbecue, etc. I think that's key to the success of any such effort. So a pure social media campaign for example won't cut it in my view.

I'd suggest we need to see what the TJF board feel is right for the future of TJF before we can know what other group is required. Given everything that's happened, I'd expect them to make further statements this week.

Edited by MarciaBlaine

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Are they still a prospective fan ownership group ? What about the Group that had the open letter ?

I guess we might find out more this week per my post above. As a member I'd still like them to work towards it and I don't think the fan ownership genie is going to disappear back into the bottle, so they're best placed.