QP away

jaggy

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We might have won that game if we had played it on the ground. And we can't really blame the surface as we've already played on it last month. Hellish watching football on that pitch but no excuse as QP were by far the better organized. Weather played a part in QP's favour but that's because of the way we went about things. 

Typical McCall, brings on a second striker and fails to play anybody wide right. Takes about 8 or 9 minutes before he changes things. No excuses for that.

Seriously concerned about that… we might have a good squad on paper but if we can’t organise them…. Hopefully it’s a case of some of the new guys getting up to speed but we should have enough about us not to get rolled over by QP

• Like 1

Is there some kind of groupthink affecting this set of managers? I've forgotten how many times we've played Hamilton Accies on plastic in the past, but I certainly haven't forgotten seeing at New Douglas Park how a team has to play on plastic - keeping the ball moving between players and, when out of possession, not allowing the opposition any time to dwell on  the ball. What does our lot do? Pick the slowest player we have, Graham, to lead the line and leave the fastest players, Tiffoney and Weston, on the bench. All of Stevie Lawless' skills won't count for much if he's abandoned by his teammates to be bullied off the ball by bigger, stronger players. Then the defence seemed to stand off all the time in the box and on the wings, allowing the QP players to send the ball into our penalty area.

The substitutes were effective but - typical of McCall - much too late. Some other traits seem to be returning, too, such as throwing in to the opposition.

Although Mitchell couldn't be blamed for today's performance, after last week's farce he should have ceded his position to Sneddon - just to make clear that failure has consequences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Is there some kind of groupthink affecting this set of managers? I've forgotten how many times we've played Hamilton Accies on plastic in the past, but I certainly haven't forgotten seeing at New Douglas Park how a team has to play on plastic - keeping the ball moving between players and, when out of possession, not allowing the opposition any time to dwell on  the ball. What does our lot do? Pick the slowest player we have, Graham, to lead the line and leave the fastest players, Tiffoney and Weston, on the bench. All of Stevie Lawless' skills won't count for much if he's abandoned by his teammates to be bullied off the ball by bigger, stronger players. Then the defence seemed to stand off all the time in the box and on the wings, allowing the QP players to send the ball into our penalty area.

The substitutes were effective but - typical of McCall - much too late. Some other traits seem to be returning, too, such as throwing in to the opposition.

Although Mitchell couldn't be blamed for today's performance, after last week's farce he should have ceded his position to Sneddon - just to make clear that failure has consequences.

Just as a comparison, Mitchell has lost on average just under 2 goals per game, Sneddon 0.5.  I know it is a simple comparison.

My worry always was that QP have the resources, ambition, and organisation to become Glasgow's 3rd club. Heaven knows they have a far more illustrious history and tradition than we can ever hope for. Now, that reality really could come to pass. 

I've tried to give McCall the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately he's part of the problem. An absolute dinosaur who doesn't seem to realise that football has moved on a lot since 2005. The squad is talented one - it needs someone to get the best out of them. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

Just now, Yellow & Redneck said:

My worry always was that QP have the resources, ambition, and organisation to become Glasgow's 3rd club. Heaven knows they have a far more illustrious history and tradition than we can ever hope for. Now, that reality really could come to pass. 

I share your concern… and the current shenanigans over the transfer of Colin Weir’s shares isn’t going to help

11 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Agree completely. The club from the board to the management team is just rank rotten in my opinion. Nepotism at every single level. 

The board don’t pick the team or set the tactics. That goes down to the management team.

What the board are guilty of is failing to acknowledge an manager living in the past and taking the necessary action.

This team can play much better but only rarely do.

edit to add …. 1 league win in last 6 !

Edited by Dick Dastardly

37 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I've tried to give McCall the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately he's part of the problem. An absolute dinosaur who doesn't seem to realise that football has moved on a lot since 2005. The squad is talented one - it needs someone to get the best out of them. 

someone on forum a while back (may have been @Garscube Road End 2)  touched upon how quickly QP may overtake us.  Seems to be happening already.  A new manager and ideas needed.

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We did the same when we won the playoff vs Peterhead. Didn’t we get promoted to the SPL the very next season ? It’s not a foregone conclusion, but if we have aspirations of promotion this season we really need to keep momentum going and win this game.

We didn't get promoted to the SPL for another 7 years after Peterhead

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

someone on forum a while back (may have been @Garscube Road End 2)  touched upon how quickly QP may overtake us.  Seems to be happening already.  A new manager and ideas needed.

Yes this. QP are ambitious and they showed that today. We are stuck in the doldrums trying to play the same kind of football that cost us dear last season (that we blamed on the pitch).

On paper this year we have a better squad. But do we have a manager capable of getting the best out of them? No.

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Calm down FFS. They have about 300 fans, havn't won a major trophy since the 1890s. They aren't going to magic up fans from somewhere in Glasgow. At worst we have a diehard fan base of 2000-3000, which is 5-10x theirs. Results are going to be more even from now on, simply because there is currently a lot of money behind them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Calm down FFS. They have about 300 fans, havn't won a major trophy since the 1890s. They aren't going to magic up fans from somewhere in Glasgow. At worst we have a diehard fan base of 2000-3000, which is 5-10x theirs. Results are going to be more even from now on, simply because there is currently a lot of money behind them.

And how does that invalidate my point? 

5 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

And how does that invalidate my point? 

They may be old (9 more years than us) but I wouldn't argue that they have a more illustrious history than ours - in the 1890s maybe.

Their fanbase won't grow significantly, to match the size of ours. They are getting by by being bankrolled currently.

Edited by milhouse
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, milhouse said:

They may be old (9 more years than us) but I wouldn't argue that they have a more illustrious history than ours - in the 1890s maybe.

Their fanbase won't grow significantly, to match the size of ours. They are getting by by being bankrolled currently.

I agree.

That’s why I am always curious about season tickets.  It’s an excellent measure of the health of the team.  Obviously a promotion or relegation will influence it however most clubs have a ingrained support cultivated over generations.  Many on this forum have been life long fans.

Queens Park are doing their thing and it will be interesting to see how things shake up when they get their stadium in order.  I wish them well.

We have to get our own house in order starting with ownership.  It could be a very bright future.