QP away

jaggy

12 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Could someone who was at the game please advise how the hell did we lose 3 goals to QP?

And how did Tiff do when he came on?

First goal was a training ground free kick move.  Something we can only dream about.  Second looked like Fitzpatrick let his man run off him.  No pressure on the player with the ball and the keeper a little slow off his line.  Third was from a corner and the ball bounced around the six yard box before being scrambled in,  I make that 5 goals from corners and two from free kicks so far.  There seems to me to be a lack of preparation for anything,  We don't react.  Too slow all over the pitch.  I have no idea what our midfield shape is with all 3 of them all over the place.  That, to me, is coaching.  We had 9 non-playing staff on the bench yesterday.  I assume all taking a wage.  I guess the kit man was among them but what do the rest of them do?  Shambles, but nothing new.

As for QP being the third biggest team in Glasgow, what does that mean?  Were Gretna a bigger club than us?  They will probably overtake us in league places by spending more money than we can, but it won't last.

Edited by Southside Jag
Spelling

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Could someone who was at the game please advise how the hell did we lose 3 goals to QP?

And how did Tiff do when he came on?

Just to echo Southside Jag's comments.

Re Tiffoney, he was largely ineffective. Being at the other end of the ground it's hard to be conclusive but it looks to me he's behind on pace. May well be a couple of games yet till he get's a start.  

19 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Highlights now up on QP official Site.

just watched the highlights

thought we had 2 maybe 3 good opportunities to score before QP to the lead

our defence looks all over the place from dead ball situations

their lad boateng always appeared to have too much time on the ball

imo we still need a ball winning midfield player

onwards and upwards

lets see what jlow announces on Friday  :thinking:

Same old Ian McCall. Can't grind out results v teams like Hamilton, Qp etc. He's a nearly man and we'll never achieve anything with him.  Sooner people realise that the better. 

Club is going nowhere on and off the park.

Glimpse into the future for folk. Once QP are back at their home they'll overtake us permanently. Southside of Glasgow is a huge catchment, its not a village like Gretna. We've just stagnated horrendously as a club and have such low self esteem and expectations. Our place in the Scottish Football pecking order now is not as a premier league club. We've got a mickey mouse setup run by inept people.

Edited by avie-man
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, avie-man said:

Same old Ian McCall. Can't grind out results v teams like Hamilton, Qp etc. He's a nearly man and we'll never achieve anything with him.  Sooner people realise that the better. 

Club is going nowhere on and off the park.

Glimpse into the future for folk. Once QP are back at their home they'll overtake us permanently. Southside of Glasgow is a huge catchment, its not a village like Gretna. We've just stagnated horrendously as a club and have such low self esteem and expectations. 

QP have the same problem as us in terms of catchment. It is in Glasgow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

QP have the same problem as us in terms of catchment. It is in Glasgow.

They won't be an amateur club  plodding along in league 1 or 2 drawing 4-500 when they go back. They're going to be a very different club with elite infrastructure in terms of facilties and personnel.

Our setup is tinpot by comparison. We will never be a sustainable Premier League club whilst it's Low and McCall in charge. We got lucky when we had a wee run with the likes of Rangers, Hearts etc being out on their arse. Once they all got back we got found out and are back at our level. Championship irrelevance. 

You have to admire Owen Coyle getting his side up for that game yesterday. We sounded flat-footed and confused by all accounts. The responsibility must lie with the management/coaching team for the initial selection and the way we played. 

Next Friday is a huge day to the Club. But only do we face ICT on the telly, but 3BC reveal which fans group will receive Colin Weirs shares as a gift. But it doesn’t feel like Christmas to me, as I am represented by TJF who have been ruled out. 

Edited by sandy

I felt we created enough yesterday but our finishing or final ball let us down (even if we were a bit slow on the ball throughout). Should not be scoring two goals and losing. 

The defence is a major worry - looked absolutely solid for most of last season but is shipping horrible set piece goals, the one mitigation being it has been slightly makeshift so far. No idea what has happened to Tunji - has gone to bits since that red card against Airdrie, a bit like Niall Keown of late. 

Brian Graham has been excellent for us on and off the park and I’m glad we have him tied down. A goal and three assists in the league so far. However, he has had at least one awful miss in each league game, that can’t keep happening. 

If I was Sneddon, I’d be in for a chat with McCall on Monday. I remember the stat last season that he was only behind Alison and Ederson in Europe in terms of clean sheets - completely different levels of course but his stats were superb despite the odd howler (all goalkeepers have them). 

We have never replaced the Abdul Osman of the top six season, our key weakness. I wonder if we would think about putting Muirhead in there although I’m not convinced. It did work with Mayo in one game last season but he was very comfortable on the ball. 

• Like 1

Wasn't at the game but from the highlights the defending wasn't good.

First goal  - Akinola is slow to react and Fitzpatrick ball watches rather than reacting to the runner 

Second goal - I don't know what Akinola is doing. He steps out of defence and leaves a gap you could drive a bus through. There are other problems at the same time with Fitzpatrick sitting deeper than McMillan who steps up to try to close the space but no other defender goes with him.

Third goal - Milne miss-judges the cross, Akinola doesn't do enough against Murray and Docherty is slow on the line. If I was going to criticise Mitchell it would be on this goal as he's trapped on his line and not anywhere near the ball. 

You could argue all 3 goals are in part attributable to Akinola's rustiness (hoepfully not a continuation of his poor performances). However I suspect we have more defensive problems than that.

Milne still hasn't quite adapted to playing in a back 4 as he was more used to playing wingback at Cove.  Whilst Docherty is a decent defensive midfield I'm not sure MacKinnon strengths are in that area and Bannigan looks off form. Fitzpatrick can look decent going forward but he doesn't offer much help when defending. Without Brownlie or Muirhead we miss a leader at the back and someone who will issue instructions to the rest of the back 4.

On the plus side we are creating chances and scoring goals. If anything we have over compensated for last year by getting lots of attacking options but not so many defensive ones.

I think McCall knows what 11 players he would like to start with but the problem may be that those 11 don't fit his preferred formation.

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think McCall knows what 11 players he would like to start with but the problem may be that those 11 don't fit his preferred formation.

Sorry for the selective quoting but I think you're wrong in part. I don't believe McCall knows what eleven players he would like to start. But I do believe he selects players ahead of formation. I mentioned yesterday that he brought on a second striker leaving nobody to play out wide on the right and a half fit player on the left. What's the point of two big strikers if there's hardly any balls coming into them from wide areas? 

1 hour ago, avie-man said:

They won't be an amateur club  plodding along in league 1 or 2 drawing 4-500 when they go back. They're going to be a very different club with elite infrastructure in terms of facilties and personnel.

Our setup is tinpot by comparison. We will never be a sustainable Premier League club whilst it's Low and McCall in charge. We got lucky when we had a wee run with the likes of Rangers, Hearts etc being out on their arse. Once they all got back we got found out and are back at our level. Championship irrelevance. 

Absolutely zero chance QP will be the so called third team in Glasgow. I seem to remember Clyde had a similar dream about growing their fan base. 

2 hours ago, avie-man said:

The problem is still that they are a Glasgow club. It might even be harder for them, being another South side club trying to compete for local sponsors ?

The arrogance and sheer complacency involved in believing that QP will never become Glasgow's third club is astounding. QP have a history and tradition that we could only ever dream of. They can make a strong case for inventing the modern game, despite not winning any major honours in a long time (...either have we)! They're now well bank-rolled, have a shiny new stadium on the way, dedicated training facilities (remember the absolute disgrace that was our failed attempt), and a competent and well-run board room. Over the next 10-15 years, they could make real inroads, whilst our cultureless club and fans still repeat the old trope: "aye, a know we might no be that good, but at least we're no the Old Furm." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Absolutely zero chance QP will be the so called third team in Glasgow. I seem to remember Clyde had a similar dream about growing their fan base. 

If they’ve got someone like Willie Haughey bankrolling them , they’ve every chance to be the third team in Glasgow . Success on the park will undoubtedly increase their fan base 

Clyde never had anybody bankrolling them 

With our disfunctional board and their lack of foresight on and off the park there is every chance that Q Park will end up the 3rd team in Glasgow 

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

The arrogance and sheer complacency involved in believing that QP will never become Glasgow's third club is astounding. QP have a history and tradition that we could only ever dream of. They can make a strong case for inventing the modern game, despite not winning any major honours in a long time (...either have we)! They're now well bank-rolled, have a shiny new stadium on the way, dedicated training facilities (remember the absolute disgrace that was our failed attempt), and a competent and well-run board room. Over the next 10-15 years, they could make real inroads, whilst our cultureless club and fans still repeat the old trope: "aye, a know we might no be that good, but at least we're no the Old Furm." 

Yes we are falling behind badly, resting on our laurels from 1971 and the Tennants Sixes.

I don’t begrudge QP their success; I just wish we had a better Club Board to steer us forward and re-engage the fans.

We almost had something good going with Jim & Lance’s #onethistle thing back in 2013, with IanMac and Dave J looking after the North Stand. But it fell away as the Club didn’t seem to value it. 

My concern is that the endless rounds of nonsense with 3BC will just lead to apathy and some supporters chucking it. I hope not.

I'll stay out of the whether QP are potentially going to a bigger club than us or not. Might be worth pointing out that they were (are?) ill prepared for the Championship this season. This was the season they were anticipating making a push for promotion to the second tier. It stands to reason that they've built a team that's prime objective is just to stay in the division this season. From what I say yesterday that should be achievable. They do stay up and then it's next season we'll be able to gauge just how much they'll likely affect our status.

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

My posts are not so much complacency, but realism when compared to the pull of Rangers and Celtic. There aren’t many teams, if any, growing their support in Scotland.