4th or 5th

Fawlty Towers

BBC has us 5th in table and Sunday Mail has us 4th - who is right?

We have same points us QP, same GD, same goals scored and conceded.

As P comes before Q in the alphabet I saw we are 4th.

Of course at this stage of the season is it not that important (unless, heaven forbid, we have another pandemic and the league gets called early).

Don't think it's alphabetical FT. All other things being equal I think it's down to head to head(s).

Reminds me of the old joke about Rangers and Celtic finishing joint top of the league at the end of a season. Same goals scored, same goal average. The two matches that season ended 1-1. The SFL hold crisis talks and agree they cannot be separated. They announce to the press that they have decided to go alphabetical and announce Rangers FC are the champions and The Celtic FC are runners-up. (Have a look at their club badge.)

Rule C35 of the SPFL provides that teams are ranked within a division by (in order):

• goals scored
  • head-to-head points
  • head-to-head goal difference

Rule C36 provides that, if rule C35 cannot determine the placings and it would affect who is relegated/promoted/enters a set of play-offs/ends up in the top or bottom six of the Premiership, then a deciding match is to be played at a neutral venue, with extra time and penalties if required.

If a dead-heat would not affect any of those outcomes, the two teams are deemed to have tied and their positions are treated as equal for all purposes.

Tl;dr Queen's Park are ahead of us because they beat us.

• Like 1