Tonight's game v ICT

exiledjag

That was heartwarming tonight Jags!!

Unsurprising that BBG got MoM in a 4-1 victory, but as others have alluded to, there were so many genuine candidates.

Tiffoney had a superb first half; he had Fake Thistle's right back in knots,

Lawless has thankfully rediscovered what made him such a good player in the Championship winning team ten years ago, I was sceptical about re-signing him, but am very very happy to eat my words. He's been excellent so far.

Milne and McKinnon will both go on to higher things. McKinnon in particular. His block tackle on the edge of our own box which started the move that eventually led to the penalty was exceptional. He's a player without any question.

Holt is an absolute rock of a central defender, and Brownlie had a very encouraging second half.

Competitively so far P8 W5 D2 L1

All that said,  we must improve on defending dead balls.  We've lost at least 4 goals from corners and one to a free kick so far, plus the freak own goal v Hamilton. 

All told, an encouraging start to the season, for sure.

• Like 1

McKinnon was superb apart from his miss in the opening minute. He's been impressive every time I've seen him.

Milne is a great signing and we were lucky to get him ahead of other teams. 

Both will go on to great things if they keep their early season form for the rest of their careers. 

No failures tonight but special mentions to Stevie Lawless for his tenacity & vision at the first goal, Tiff for a great first start of the season, BBG for his workrate, effort and knack of being in the right place at the right time and Brownlie for a good defensive 2nd half where he won most of the aerial battles with Oakley.

All we need to do now is find a way to defend better at corners and free-kicks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Some very good performances…. in particular Milne looks a great signing both in defence and attack. Lawless clever as ever, Graham, Tiffoney coming back to his best, McKinnon looks promising…. And good to hear BBC mentioning the disquiet behind the scenes before, during and after the match… 

Never heard a Sack The Board chant during such a convincing victory but well done the JL stand! 

There was one with about 20 mins to go. Didn’t go on too long, though. 
Crowd was 2,600ish, I think about 200 from Inverness - so maybe 300 or 400 jags down on Hamilton. Friday night game on the TV, it’s hard to tell if people are staying away.

It looked like we set up 451 and 5 in the middle gave ICT no space whatsoever ever. Tiffoney and Milne link up really well as did Lawless and McKinnon, who doesn’t seem to stop running. As has been said, probably the most dominant performance since our last championship winning season.

Great game last night all over the park thought we played as a team with confidence and flair a massive difference from last week

I have to admit McCall has had a good transfer window some really good players added to the squad long time since we had a team and the bench looks strong as well good to have competition for every position 

Special mention for Harry Milne how did we manage to sign him he is a good player going to be a great player I just hope we get to enjoy him in a jags top for a wee while another great signing Stevie Lawless aka Lawleff played so well last night seems to have got a bit of his old magic back

I can understand why Scott Tiffoney  was disappointed not to be m o m as just didn’t stop from start to finish even defending when he was needed a 5 star display great to have him fit again makes a difference to the team when he plays 

Even banzo had a great game we have wanted him to play like that for awhile so many good players on the night Brian Graham never stopped running 2 good striker goals and never gave Caleys  defence a minutes peace I think that’s why they made so many mistakes and how selfless was Tiff for the second goal  just shows the spirit in the team not getting carried away but we made the playoffs last season with a weaker team so encouraging for this season if we can learn from last weeks result and kick on ps good to see the fans getting behind the team last night after that clusterf**k of a decision by the board midweek hopefully they will start a bit of infighting and realise the mistakes they are making .

We could see the start of something really special happening if they came on board with the fans. I don’t want to hear about fans not coming back we can’t afford to lose fans and I see posters on here that have taken that decision and I fully understand their decision it must really hurt as we are not just fans we are Partick Thistle fans and lightbulb moment just realised why sometimes we are called Patrick Thistle dammed auto correct

Hopefully  we can get Low and Co to take a step back and realise this is not about what they want it’s what Mr Weir wanted a club ran by thistle fans not Lows Lachies I wonder what Colin’s family make of this debacle all I can say is Mon the jags

As one of the fans giving Firhill a miss this season, I’m still pleased that we got 3 points last night. Didn’t expect a 4-1, so hats off to the players who did a good shift.

I’d still rather have Sneddon in goals and Turner in centre midfield; that’s where McCalls way of thinking differ from mine. 

14 minutes ago, sandy said:

As one of the fans giving Firhill a miss this season, I’m still pleased that we got 3 points last night. Didn’t expect a 4-1, so hats off to the players who did a good shift.

I’d still rather have Sneddon in goals and Turner in centre midfield; that’s where McCalls way of thinking differ from mine. 

100% agree with the Turner comment. He has a sureness of touch & awareness which Doc lacks.

30 minutes ago, sandy said:

Agree with all of this. I am sure we are Turner 's leading cheerleaders on here. Lol

• Like 1

Been banging on this same old drum most of last season re a huge flaw in our team . And crediting player recruitment of namely Lawless, Fitzpatrick & Weston this season on correcting that flaw. Last season Tiffoney was double marked, even occasionally three on him. No one down the opposite flank to alleviate this. Last night we saw, really for the first time, just how if you gang up on Tiff you'll be punished from the right hand side. Lawless was excellent doing just that. His use of ball and passing was exceptional. No coincidence that getting the balance right in the team resulted in such a good performance. Also if we have to sub Stevie or he's not available, we have Fitzpatrick & Weston, who can replace his guile with real pace. Means Tiffoney shouldn't have to carry as much of a load as before.

• Like 1

A few of my last posts were probably the most downhearted  I have put on here. I was just fed up with the overall football on show in general. 

Got to say that I just "enjoyed" last nights match  not only from the point of view of a great Thistle performance but for the attitude of both teams. We certainly out-played Inverness but they never resorted to fouling or punting up the park and as a result the game just flowed from end to end.  Nothing but ++++

Its that kind of game that will have fans coming back in numbers. 

One simple reason for the improved performance was the size and quality of the Firhill pitch. Last week at Stenny we could not adjust our style  to fit into the confines of the pitch.

Just one small question. I missed the halftime substitution of Brownlie for Hodson (though I was fully aware of Turner for Docherty, who appeared to have taken a few knocks). Hodson seemed to have a tidy and efficient first half. Was there an injury issue, as I do not think that it would have been down to poor performance?

Tiffoney's impact as a substitute in the previous few games had been disappointing. Last night he was electrifying from the start. His speed and fitness (and as a consequence his confidence) must have taken a huge step forward in 6 days. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Been banging on this same old drum most of last season re a huge flaw in our team . And crediting player recruitment of namely Lawless, Fitzpatrick & Weston this season on correcting that flaw. Last season Tiffoney was double marked, even occasionally three on him. No one down the opposite flank to alleviate this. Last night we saw, really for the first time, just how if you gang up on Tiff you'll be punished from the right hand side. Lawless was excellent doing just that. His use of ball and passing was exceptional. No coincidence that getting the balance right in the team resulted in such a good performance. Also if we have to sub Stevie or he's not available, we have Fitzpatrick & Weston, who can replace his guile with real pace. Means Tiffoney shouldn't have to carry as much of a load as before.

Also Milne and Tiffoney linked up well, with Harry getting forward regularly and with great effect compared to the likes of Foster who have played left back recently.

A great partnership but we should enjoy them as much as possible as promotion aside I don't see them both being here next season.

• Like 1

Just now, partickthedog said:

One simple reason for the improved performance was the size and quality of the Firhill pitch. Last week at Stenny we could not adjust our style  to fit into the confines of the pitch.

Just one small question. I missed the halftime substitution of Brownlie for Hodson (though I was fully aware of Turner for Docherty, who appeared to have taken a few knocks). Hodson seemed to have a tidy and efficient first half. Was there an injury issue, as I do not think that it would have been down to poor performance?

Tiffoney's impact as a substitute in the previous few games had been disappointing. Last night he was electrifying from the start. His speed and fitness (and as a consequence his confidence) must have taken a huge step forward in 6 days. 

Both half-time substitutions were due to injury according to Ian McCall.

Worth pointing out that thistle were completely dominant in the first half particularly in midfield ( dodds admitted as such ). Doc went off injured.  Second half Inverness had more possession but were ineffective. Irrespective of who starts in midfield its certainly the case we are a far better squad than last year. 

Although we may all feel frustrated at losing the final goal, all credit to Inverness Caledonian Thistle for sticking to their task and providing not just the competition which made the game enjoyable, but keeping playing in an entertaining way. Let's just hope that at the next meeting we don't concede, though!

26 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

Good result for us at Cappielow today but as normal the BBC manage to get their facts wrong!

“Morton, though, almost snatched the points late on when Aaron Muirhead's flicked effort rebounded off a post.” 

Ah that’s where he was last night. Slumming it down in a seedy B&B in Port Glasgow. The hound. 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:29 AM, Barney Rubble said:

That was heartwarming tonight Jags!!

Unsurprising that BBG got MoM in a 4-1 victory, but as others have alluded to, there were so many genuine candidates.

Tiffoney had a superb first half; he had Fake Thistle's right back in knots,

Lawless has thankfully rediscovered what made him such a good player in the Championship winning team ten years ago, I was sceptical about re-signing him, but am very very happy to eat my words. He's been excellent so far.

Milne and McKinnon will both go on to higher things. McKinnon in particular. His block tackle on the edge of our own box which started the move that eventually led to the penalty was exceptional. He's a player without any question.

Holt is an absolute rock of a central defender, and Brownlie had a very encouraging second half.

Competitively so far P8 W5 D2 L1

All that said,  we must improve on defending dead balls.  We've lost at least 4 goals from corners and one to a free kick so far, plus the freak own goal v Hamilton. 

All told, an encouraging start to the season, for sure.

Sums things up as they stand very well.

Having belatedly now watched the game a few observations.

The first and fourth goals were simple but great and good examples of what can be done with good off the ball running, good and intelligent passing including the final delivery and good finishing. Whereas Graham's goal was laid on a plate for him he still had to get into the proper position to score. Dowds on the other had had a little more to do and he did it well.

It was impressive the way we cut through the ICT defence while they struggled to get beyond our back line. I agree that Lawless played well and is looking like a very good signing. If he keeps this up  a good dose of humble pie will be due from me. So many good players on the park on Friday and a well deserved win. My MOTM was Harry Milne.

Still some old failings evident. Too many long balls out of defence coming straight back at us. We need to retain possession and 'work' the ball better!  ICT were allowed too much possession in the second half and our midfield unit though not overrun has to do better.

Not sure about Mitchell. Happy we have him  but didn't think he is playing well enough to replace Sneddon who finished last season  as our first choice keeper.

We need consistency as our main priority and to know with some certainty which partick thistle team will turn up, especially away from home.