Raith Rovers at Firhill

Albert's Ghost

8 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Seems we're playing them tomorrow.  Aero & Cammy trained this week, so we've plenty of options on the bench.  Can we play well 2 weeks running?  Ayr will be top regardless - wasn't expecting that,

Yeh me neither but welcome to the championship Dundee.  

Hopefully confidence is high and we continue from last week.  After losing the first 2 Raith have bounced back with a couple of wins so tough afternoon ahead.  At least Zanatta has left them so shortens their penalty chances.

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

Same starting XI? I'd prefer McMillan at right back and Brownlie in the middle, same as after half time. Apart from that I'd stick with the same team assuming Doc is fit.

Brownlie was at fault for the goal and almost let them in for another earlier. However, he needs minutes to get match fit. I thought we were better with Hodson and McMillan.

I don't mind Muirhead returning to the back 4 to partner Holt. With McMillan and Milne at full back this looks solid. However I wouldn't let Smith anywhere near the first 11. I fail to see what he brings to the team and in my opinion he is, excepting the odd flash  of good play, largely ineffective.  I am a supporter of IMC but his favouring of Smith over Turner  is poor judgement.

Anyway to the Raith game. If we approach the game with the same attitude and purpose as the ICT game and play with the same directness and intensity we will win.

As I said on the ICT game thread I eould like to see us work the ball better, cut out the long forward passes to players who are already marked and bring Sneddon back in goal. Oh and leave Smith on the bench.

I struggle to see how IMC can ever logically bring smith back in the team when you consider the players we have available in the forward areas. He is nowhere near good enough and offers far less than fitzy, mullin or even Weston and that’s not even including the starting wide players from last week. Again this is a game we need to be winning if we are serious about a promotion challenge imo but I said this before accies as well, so I certainly won’t be expecting a repeat of last week.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

As I said on the ICT game thread I eould like to see us work the ball better, cut out the long forward passes to players who are already marked and bring Sneddon back in goal. 

We'll probably not change goalies till Mitchell either gets injured or makes a howler (I exclude the freak goal). That's just the way it is with selecting goalies. That said I would imagine Sneddon will play on Tuesday night. So a very good display and he might be back in as first choice for the league.

Main point I'd make is the overdoing of the long ball and the choice of keeper are not unrelated. Mitchell is quick to circulate the ball whereas Sneddon last season was of ten hesitant and slow at doing so. This may be down to in part to improvements in fullbacks and not all down to the individual keepers. Whatever if we're going to do well (better) in the league we'll almost certainly have to use the long punt sparingly. 

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We'll probably not change goalies till Mitchell either gets injured or makes a howler (I exclude the freak goal). That's just the way it is with selecting goalies. That said I would imagine Sneddon will play on Tuesday night. So a very good display and he might be back in as first choice for the league.

Main point I'd make is the overdoing of the long ball and the choice of keeper are not unrelated. Mitchell is quick to circulate the ball whereas Sneddon last season was of ten hesitant and slow at doing so. This may be down to in part to improvements in fullbacks and not all down to the individual keepers. Whatever if we're going to do well (better) in the league we'll almost certainly have to use the long punt sparingly. 

Agreed.

The long pass can be a goal maker if played when appropriate and delivered accurately. For example, into space behind the opposing defence for Tiffoney or another wide/forward player to run onto. It is never appropriate when executed because the player in possession can't see a better option. If this is the case the manager should be berating the other players for not  running into space to help out the player in possession.  The only other occasion a long ball could be justified is when it's necessary to clear defensive lines if under severe pressure.

• Like 1