Raith Rovers at Firhill

Albert's Ghost

Wee Stevie Lawless was unplayable in that first half:clapping:but we were hanging on by our fingernails late in the second - although we should have had a penalty and Milne should have scored…

Arbroath  having a terrible start to the season .. let’s hope it continues for a least the next two games 

Don't think Tiffoney is still fully fit as no point today did he want to get the ball down and run at the fullback.

We played some really good stuff in the first half with Lawless and MacMillan being the pick of the bunch. 

Bannigan's error took some of the wind out of sails and some of the confidence thereafter the game becomes a bit more even. However I'm not sure the offside goal was offside and if its given then the game has a different complexion.

Thought the referee game some bizarre decisions throughout.

Last 30 minutes became an interesting tactical battle with Raith moving to a back 3 then a back 2 and finally 1 at the back. We did look a bit unsteady until Muirhead came on a we went 3-5-2. Dowds did well when he came on but Fitzpatrick really needed to do more with the various opportunities he had.

Akinola still looks nervous and prone to an error or two so if Muirhead is fit I would rather we started him next game.

Good to get the three points but a bit of a strange game, Without being great, we were very comfortable at  2 - 0...and it should have been three as the disallowed goal doesn't look offside.  A stupid pass back from Banzo cost a goal but also dented the team's confidence. We didn't do much in the second half and a fairly ordinary Raith side were far more in it...they failed to bury two clear chances and although the lack of a midfield ball-winner again put us under pressure, Mitchell didn't really have to make a save so I still don't know how good a keeper he is.

McMillan had a good game and Lawson is a clever player. Tiffoney  was strangely quiet and Fitzpatrick seemed strangely tired for a late sub. The referee made some strange decisions.

I'm strangely optimistic about our prospects for the season.

3 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Good to get the three points but a bit of a strange game, Without being great, we were very comfortable at  2 - 0...and it should have been three as the disallowed goal doesn't look offside. 

I think it was actually offiside

1 hour ago, Grubber8468 said:

That was more of a struggle than I thought when second went in!! Daft goal to give away then never really got going in second half. To be fair to raith they played well in second half and not sure how they missed the two chances down our right side but delighted to hold onto a win!! 

Raith got a boost from appalling refereeing which included chopping of a legitimate goal and denying us a stonewall penalty.  Otherwise we would have been out of sight by half time 

Looks very tight to me. If you slow down the video when Bannigan strikes the ball the the trailing foot of the Raith defender next to Milne is pretty much in line with Milne's feet and the Raith Defender on the ground at the other post. From the linesman position he can see the upper body of the Raith player next to Milne is further forward so gives offside.

I didn't really judge the referee's performance today on that call because it was clearly the linesman who calls that one and you would need VAR to get that one 100% correct.

The referee and linesman didn't have a good game because they got a number of calls wrong. There was a foul given against Akinola late in the second half when Akinola won the ball cleanly in the air as the Raith player was trying to tear his jersey off him. The sub Raith goalkeeper carried the ball across the byline which should have been a corner instead the linesman gave nothing as he too far behind play. Also looked like we should have had a penalty in the second half for handball. Dowds was getting pulled backwards almost every time he went for a challenge but didn't get a single freekick. Raith player fell over and to try and prevent Docherty taking the ball trapped it under his league, Docherty still took it cleanly but the Ref see's a freekick that Raith no-one else did including the Raith players.

On a separate note - can we bin the waterbreaks? It was decent weather today but it wasn't anywhere close to 'taps-aff'. The breaks in play just further disrupt momentum and slow the game down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

On a separate note - can we bin the waterbreaks? It was decent weather today but it wasn't anywhere close to 'taps-aff'. The breaks in play just further disrupt momentum and slow the game down.

This.

What were those water breaks about? It's Glasgow in August @ 20 degrees, not the Balkans in August @ 30 plus.

Not considered necessary v Hamilton a couple of weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

For the offside, does it not matter that the last defender was playing behind the keeper?

Doesn't really matter where the keeper is. There needs to be 2 Raith players between Milne  and the goal line when Bannigan strikes his pass. 

The Raith keeper is to my mind in front of Milne so not part of the equation. If anyone is playing Milne onside its the Raith defender on the ground at one post and the Raith defender next to Milne at the other post.

A deserved win but not a great performance. Which is good for promotion hopes!

Tiff and Milne were different players from last week. Why?

Doc and Banzo produced little. I wish Doc would stop pretending to be injured. Nobody’s buying it.

Dowds and Turner to start next week please.

Window has a few days to go so perhaps we can dispatch Smith.

Fitzy needs a kick up the bahookie.

Credit to McCall where I usually criticise him. For once his subbing of wide players didn't leave the side unbalanced.  Bringing on a third centreback and pushing up McMillan & Milne meant we didn't leave an area uncovered. Thought due partly to that, with a couple of glaring exceptions we saw the game out reasonably well. Even so was still glad to hear that final whistle.

As Weebaw1 says Milne & Tiffoney weren't so effective as against ICT. But the big difference this season is we've got threats down the other wing. Lawless & McMillan were both excellent today down the right. Either of them were worthy of MotM. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Agreed.  Only on the park for 30 minutes - he could have worked a lot harder.

Absolutely. He needs to make better use of the ball going forward - and work harder at closing down defenders - something that Tiffoney has added to his game. Looks as if he needs to shed a few pounds too. Unless he improves he’s always going to on the bench watching Tiffoney.