Arbroath at Firhill

Albert's Ghost

With the extra cash from getting into the last 8 are we likely to see some transfer activity before the window closes?

Could do with someone a bit more experienced to challenge Bannigan in midfield and perhaps move Smith on who doesn't look likely to feature much  

Hope we can repeat this result or better on Saturday!

So who do we want in the quarter final?

Ourselves, Dundee and possibly ICT (if they can beat Motherwell tomorrow night) would be the only non-SPL Teams left in the competition.  I would like to avoid both. I don't fancy a trip to Ross County.

Looking at opponents we could draw,  depending on tomorrow's results,  for example,  Hearts, Livingston  Motherwell, Kilmarnock,  Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Rangers and Celtic there are a number of winnable games there.

Being purely selfish I would like Rangers at Ibrox! 30000 there tonight to watch QotS so good financially.

If we are looking to win the competition then it's got to be a Home draw against Livingston, Motherwell, Dundee Utd or a  Championship Team.

Good result tonight and a big well done to all at Partick Thistle FC and the fans who managed to attend the game.

If we could have scored in the first 25 minutes when we were completely in the ascendancy, we could have scored a barrowload. It was one of those games that the longer it went on, the more we drifted into mediocrity.

Subs weren’t bad and Fitzy took his goal well. I hope Tiff recovers form for the weekend.

Wee Stevie was sublime.

Was beginning to think it was McCall's masterplan to take the game into extra time, and in a way that would've suited us. That said Arbroath are a fit outfit for part timers. We didn't really have that many clear cut goal chances, bodies getting in the road so often. Certainly not many chances in comparison to the pressure we stuck on Arbroath. A week or so ago I thought the right wing pairing of McMillan and Lawless would provide a foil for our main threat down the left. At the moment it's the other way about with Milne and Tiff playing understudy. Encouraging, as we know what Tiffoney and Milne are capable of providing. 

Normally I'd be relieved but not exactly enthused by such a narrow win at home but I enjoyed that game tonight and felt there were a lot of positives.

Objective achieved, so well done to all the players involved.

First half hour the fluency and movement was excellent, although Tiffoney's first touch let him down on four separate occasions when in good position on the diagonal ball. Thereafter Arbroath adapted their system to deny space in their wide areas and we got bogged down a bit.

Second half, Arbroath absorbed the pressure a bit better but even then we had several promising openings when the cross ball or cut-back wasn't the best.

It was a surprise that Fitzy of all people showed up with an excellent header - of all things.

Pleased for Mitchell to get his first competitive shut-out (I think?), and thought Docherty, Holt and Turner all put in a power of a shift. As for Stevie Lawless, he's certainly making me eat my words from earlier this year, and then some. Long may it continue!!

Checking our results from the start of the  season, league and league Cup I hadn't realised that we had only lost 1 game (Queens Park)!

So our results read:

played 10, won 7, drawn 2, lost 1. GF 22 & GA 12. (counting Kilmarnock as a draw after 90 mins).

A vert good level of consistency! Perhaps the only criticism is the GA column!

Very disappointed not to see Sneddon get a cup match. For his own career, he needs to leave in January as he's far too good to be benched. 

Also annoyed with Bannigan. Every single game he has to walk the tightrope. Don't understand the official commentary getting all pissy about his booking. It was clumsy and a bit two-footed. Also lucky not to be sent off later in the match. 

Lawless was outstanding! Honestly think he could be a better player now than when he left. 

Still disappointed at not seeing wee Tony getting a bit more playing time but understand why.

Lawless is unreal right now and fitness levels are immense. I’m not totally won over by Fitzpatrick yet but he’s not doing much worse than Tiffoney right now who has yet to find form. 

Could be in danger of Rangers loaning Tony somewhere else if he’s not getting a run in the team. 

23 minutes ago, johnkebab71 said:

Still disappointed at not seeing wee Tony getting a bit more playing time but understand why.

Lawless is unreal right now and fitness levels are immense. I’m not totally won over by Fitzpatrick yet but he’s not doing much worse than Tiffoney right now who has yet to find form. 

Could be in danger of Rangers loaning Tony somewhere else if he’s not getting a run in the team. 

Your better having a word with the gaffer than telling us on the forum Tony.

• Haha 2

Perhaps Weston will get more game time than the other strikers. He's not a bad sub to put on for a tiring wide player. But on that subject it was refreshing to see Lawless not only last the course but provide the assist so late in the game. Whilst I was always keen on us signing him I wasn't expecting Stevie to be an effective 90 min player.

2 hours ago, johnkebab71 said:

No danger of that this season - not permissible.

7 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Could very easily have been 3 or 4 nil if we had been a wee bit slightly sharper up front .We seem to play it too deep again after we scored and almost paid the price……think it was Milne that saved the day ! .

All in all another good all round performance which is pleasing .

Although I get the impression many feel on here that he shouldn’t be first choice (and they are entitled to their opinion) I’m sure it was Mitchell who produced an outstanding save just before that