League Cup Draw

Aberdeenjag

1 hour ago, Aberdeenjag said:

The draw is on after the games tonight.

lots of good options for us both in financial terms or in potential to go into the next round.

just want to avoid United or Motherwell away.

I'd add Aberdeen away to that list.

Any of the Dundee's or Killie at home be ok.

If not, then either of the OF away.

Dundee at Firhill is my number one pick.

Not sure it could have been much worse.

Let's face it, there was only one team in the hat who were getting Dundee at home.

We were odds on to get Aberdeen or Dundee United away.

For once in a long time, I think we have the team to win this game but it would be nice to get a helping hand in the draw now and again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Wasn't that a helping hand when we drew Arbroath at home?

Maybe so, and I was surprised enough at that.

I'd go as far to say though, that if we'd had the helping hand that Rangers get every year in every cup, we'd make a few semi-finals and maybe even a final or two.

I thought this could be the year.

8 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Not playing  the OF is a bonus, if you want a chance to progress. If you’re looking for a pay day, it’s not. Aberdeen is an unknown. Aberdeen are clearly not the team they were but, they’re at home, and I can’t recall the last time Thistle won at Pittodrie. They certainly never did well there in the past. But, it’s a cup game and there’s always a chance.

Won both league games at Pittodrie 1-0 in 2002/03.

Also, 3 of our last 5 league visits up there have finished 0-0.

Edited by Barney Rubble

18 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Not playing  the OF is a bonus, if you want a chance to progress. If you’re looking for a pay day, it’s not. Aberdeen is an unknown. Aberdeen are clearly not the team they were but, they’re at home, and I can’t recall the last time Thistle won at Pittodrie. They certainly never did well there in the past. But, it’s a cup game and there’s always a chance.

I saw a stat saying we have only won there 3 times in last 50 years .In saying that recent encounters have been close .

12 hours ago, 1876 said:

We have nothing to lose 

They will be favourites  to win 

Can see a big thistle support up for this 

The bad luck in the draw aspect from my point of view is the distance involved midweek rather than the tie itself.  Whatever support we do take would've been so much more if the tie was played at a weekend. The lack of public transport coupled with cost of petrol/diesel has gotta be a major factor. 

I don't think this is a particularly good draw both in term of progressing or finance.

I would gladly swap this for a game at Ibrox against Rangers  (and with a 30/40k crowd). I think wecwill be lucky to get 12000 for this game.

However looking on the positive side Aberdeen are not the team they were. Goodwin is in the early stages of changing the squad  and as a result they have been inconsistent.  If we can start on the front foot and get our wide player attacking their defence  them that might shake their confidence.  One thing is certain the Jags will need to turn up for this game with the right attitude,  team and tactics. Wouldn't be surprised if we play 5 in midfield.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The bad luck in the draw aspect from my point of view is the distance involved midweek rather than the tie itself.  Whatever support we do take would've been so much more if the tie was played at a weekend. The lack of public transport coupled with cost of petrol/diesel has gotta be a major factor. 

apaprently its during the school october holiday wee - no idea if that will affect the gate even more or not

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Won both league games at Pittodrie 1-0 in 2002/03.

Also, 3 of our last 5 league visits up there have finished 0-0.

Being really pedantic about 2002-2003, that was a Meatloaf (ie 2 out of 3 ain't bad).

Due to the vagaries of bottom 6 fixtures, we played Aberdeen away for a third time in the League that season. Amazingly we again went 1-0 up. Sadly Kenny Arthur ran past the ball when it seemed easier to kick it to safety, leaving Leigh Hinds (I think) to run in and score. We ended up losing 2-1. The only positive from the day was that Motherwell also lost, meaning that we were safe from relegation. Of course Motherwell ended up not being relegated. Digressing rather now, but I think that was due to some issue with Falkirk's pitch not complying with requirements which were happily ignored the following season to our detriment!

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Being really pedantic about 2002-2003, that was a Meatloaf (ie 2 out of 3 ain't bad).

Due to the vagaries of bottom 6 fixtures, we played Aberdeen away for a third time in the League that season. Amazingly we again went 1-0 up. Sadly Kenny Arthur ran past the ball when it seemed easier to kick it to safety, leaving Leigh Hinds (I think) to run in and score. We ended up losing 2-1. The only positive from the day was that Motherwell also lost, meaning that we were safe from relegation. Of course Motherwell ended up not being relegated. Digressing rather now, but I think that was due to some issue with Falkirk's pitch not complying with requirements which were happily ignored the following season to our detriment!

And how many times should Aberdeen have been relegated?  

It’s 6 weeks away for some reason and a lot can happen.

But, outside the OF, the premier league is garbage.  We have nothing to fear and should give them zero respect.  Get it right intae them!

Does that guy that pretended to be injured then sprang to ecstasy when Aberdeen scored still play for them? Cheating Barsteward!