Away to Arbroath

JAG1970

No Tiffoney tomorrow............

“Scott Tiffoney was caught late in a tackle and he went over on his ankle. He is in a boot as he was sore the following day. He is going for a scan but we are hoping he will only be out for a week or so.”

Jamie Sneddon is unlucky not to be in Partick Thistle starting XI, says Ian McCall | Glasgow Times

45 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

“Scott Tiffoney was caught late in a tackle and he went over on his ankle. He is in a boot as he was sore the following day. He is going for a scan but we are hoping he will only be out for a week or so.”

Jamie Sneddon is unlucky not to be in Partick Thistle starting XI, says Ian McCall | Glasgow Times

It was a bad tackle on him so I’m not surprised he’s injured

Shame about Tiffoney but McCall's comments about weather conditions dictating his line up are interesting.

I presume that means lots of big guys up front and more long balls. I wonder if he'll go 3-5-2 and perhaps the following

Mitchell

Akinola-Muirhead-Holt

Lawless-MacKinnon-Docherty-Bannigan-Fitzpatrick

Graham-Dowds

Abroath don't look like they have had a great transfer window. Craigen and Thomson away, rumours McKenna is injured and Low wants to go. With only Tait and a couple of Birmingham City youngsters in they look light on numbers and experience. 

16 minutes ago, laukat said:

Shame about Tiffoney but McCall's comments about weather conditions dictating his line up are interesting.

I presume that means lots of big guys up front and more long balls. I wonder if he'll go 3-5-2 and perhaps the following

Mitchell

Akinola-Muirhead-Holt

Graham-Dowds

Knowing McCall he's just as likely to switch Lawless to the left wing and play Turner or Smith out wide. Is McMillan's omittance an oversight, laukat. I thought he was our 2nd best player the other night?

Btw I don't think 3-5-2 is necessary unless we're being ultra cautious. Fairly negative (fine later on if we're protecting a lead) but also the fact both McMillan and Milne are decent defensively and have little trouble getting up and down the flanks. Without Tiffoney we'll have to change things about but we wouldn't have been able to play at Gayfield with as much width in any case. I imagine we'll start with not unfamiliar 4-3-2-1.

43 minutes ago, laukat said:

Mitchell

Akinola-Muirhead-Holt

Graham-Dowds

Abroath don't look like they have had a great transfer window. Craigen and Thomson away, rumours McKenna is injured and Low wants to go. With only Tait and a couple of Birmingham City youngsters in they look light on numbers and experience. 

I doubt if McMillan or Milne will be dropped

Edited by jaggy

33 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I doubt if McMillan or Milne will be dropped

Agree, just can't see that happening except for injury..  I'm also doubtful that Graham/Dowds will start together as suggested by Laukat.. 

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-Holt-Milne

Docherty-Bannigan or Turner-McKinnon-Fitzpatrick

Graham-Lawless 

But hey, I'm usually wrong and thankfully not the manager 

47 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Knowing McCall he's just as likely to switch Lawless to the left wing and play Turner or Smith out wide. Is McMillan's omittance an oversight, laukat. I thought he was our 2nd best player the other night?

Btw I don't think 3-5-2 is necessary unless we're being ultra cautious. Fairly negative (fine later on if we're protecting a lead) but also the fact both McMillan and Milne are decent defensively and have little trouble getting up and down the flanks. Without Tiffoney we'll have to change things about but we wouldn't have been able to play at Gayfield with as much width in any case. I imagine we'll start with not unfamiliar 4-3-2-1.

Oversight on my behalf for both Milne and McMillan. Those 2 would definitely start in a 3-5-2 with perhaps Lawless and Fitzpatrick giving way.

Suspect McCall doesn't want to get bullied or not be able to deal with the ball in the air. Fitzpatrick and Lawless may be more effective in windy conditions coming late into a game as people tire.

Just for once it would be nice to go there and get the job done quickly and efficiently. From memory, we always make it seem like an arduous task to get a good result there. They're bottom of the league, winless, because this season so far they are absolute garbage.

There you go, banana skin skilfully laid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I was just waiting for you to say "we have lift off".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaggy said:
9 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Jamie Sneddon unlucky to have IMac as his manager more like ;)

Arbroath is about 1.5 hours drive South from where I am and I can confirm its very windy here at the moment. My experience of living on the East Coast leads me to believe it will be just as windy at Arbroath.

Can we beat a team that historically we don't do very well against twice in the same week. Also there is our tendency to give teams in need their first win of the season. Nevertheless although this will be a tough fixture  I believe we can win. We will though have to cope much better with the wind than we have done on previous occasions.

Looking at the other fixtures a win could result in us putting some distance between us and some of our main competitors.

Dundee, Queens Park, Ayr , Raith and ICT could all drop points today as all are involved in 'tricky' games. 

I fancy Queens to get a draw at Dundee,  IAyr not to win at Morton and home advantage to give Raith the edge though I would like an  ICT win.

If we think we can challenge for the  then title more fistance we can put between ourselves and Dundee the better. They are still finding their feet in the Champioship  but when they fo I think they will go on a winning run.

2-1 the Jags.

I'm hopeful of a victory. In recent seasons poor results against an Arbroath side had one constant, Thomas O'Brien, who is again suspended. He's always impressed and looked a huge loss to their defence the other night. It's a regular toss up just who their best player is between O'Brien and McKenna. The latter will play but has evidently been a fair bit short of his best form this season.

We might put out a physically stronger starting XI than usual to counter conditions but I believe Arbroath will still be facing a stronger Jags team than any of our previous sides at Gayfield. My main worry is in tweaking formation and/or personnel we lose effectiveness. Hopeful of a win but realistic enough to know that a draw at Arbroath does not necessarily indicate a poor performance.

• Thanks 1

My constant in the games I have seen, two each at Firhill and Arbroath, is that Arbroath have had two big central defenders who got away with everything short of murder.

The referees in these games were dreadful and IMO in every game  both central defenders should have had a yellow card and one a red card for persistent fouling.

So a requirement for today's game is  a referee who is impartial and who applies the laws of the game.

I agree with you that our squad is the strongest, probably since we were relegated, but if the referee repeatedly favours ones team (Arbroath) over another (Jags) it will make things difficult no matter how strong our squad.

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not too windy in Arbroath at moment. That said I'm in a pub and it could well have changed.

I'm at the Arbroath hospitality with friends from Aberdeenshire, mainly on the Arbroath side.  Just me and a couple of others hoping for a Thistle win.