Away to Arbroath

JAG1970

Great result for the Jags and a clean sheet as well.. A big well done to the manager, his staff, the players and last but not least the fans who attended and gave the team fantastic support.

Now for  a top of the table clash with Ayr Utd  next week.  Anyone know if this game being televised?

3 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Great result for the Jags and a clean sheet as well.. A big well done to the manager, his staff, the players and last but not least the fans who attended and gave the team fantastic support.

Now for  a top of the table clash with Ayr Utd  next week.  Anyone know if this game being televised?

Nope. They are showing Dundee game live on the Friday.

Super result. We never looked like getting beaten but at the same time we kinda lacked a cutting edge for much of the match. We have been strong down the flanks but were much poorer today. High balls into the box easily collected by Gaston. Got there in the end from sheer persistence, something we wouldn't have done last season.

If we can get results like this away from home when we don't play particularly well, we've a good chance of being in the mix at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

They signed Dylan Tait who always gave us a hard time when he played for Raith and who is another product of our own youth system ironically 

He's a decent player. However in my opinion Abroath last season got most of their points by having an exceptional player in Joel Nouble on loan for the first half of the season.

Unless they unearth some stellar attacking loans then it looks to me like they might revert to normal levels for part-time teams in the championship which usually involved fighting relegation.

On the other hand Ayr look like they will be challenging at the top so our next game away to them should be a big game in front of a big crowd.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

He's a decent player. However in my opinion Abroath last season got most of their points by having an exceptional player in Joel Nouble on loan for the first half of the season.

Unless they unearth some stellar attacking loans then it looks to me like they might revert to normal levels for part-time teams in the championship which usually involved fighting relegation.

On the other hand Ayr look like they will be challenging at the top so our next game away to them should be a big game in front of a big crowd.

They also got a lot of goals from Hamilton who was another Livi loan

Not much I can add, to the comments I’ve read. Only to say that although we weren’t at our best we never looked like losing but having been following Thistle since 1975 , we don’t always get what we deserve. Thankfully,  the team pulled through comfortably at the end of the day. A victory that to be fair, we wouldn’t have got last season. So overall, I’m very happy with the way things seem to be going with the Jags.

52 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

This season we seem to have a bench full of impact subs with Dowds being a good example.

That's another of the big differences from last season.

Absolutely this- last season, if plan A didn’t work we threw on a few hopefuls in pure hope rather than expectation. Now we can throw on proper game changers 

11 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’d like to see Dowds start.

His movement is great and could have got on the end of wee Stevie’s probing earlier in the game.

Likewise, and possibly yesterday since he knew the opposition. Graham was scoring regularly earlier so I can see why Anton was omitted. The other way round now so Dowds should now start. You could of course argue that all three goals he's scored have been as a sub, so why change. But even if that's the case and he's best used as an impact sub, we still need to find out.

What I believe is significant this season is the extra substitutions. Last season we struggled to have two on the bench that could come on and make a positive contribution. Yesterday we had Brownlie & Bannigan as unused subs plus Tiffoney and Hodson out injured. Even the youngsters, who impressed in the preseason games, are now a year older and looked no worse than players we had on the bench last season. I reckon very few clubs in our division have the depth to field 5 subs who can make a positive impact. We can more or less have a complete bench all of whom can count themselves unlucky not to be in the starting XI. Key to success will be getting the selections correct. That's a problem but a very good problem to have.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

McKinnon is destined for higher things if his head is being properly advised. He's a top player without any question.

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere - Ross Docherty is fundamental to our team. Does so much dirty work that goes unnoticed which provides service to Lawless and Tiffoney/Fitzpatrick on either side.

Ross Docherty and Kevin Holt are crucial to our progress this season.

• Like 1