Ayr Utd away top of the table clash

elevenone

I believe that the rule is a 9 day moratorium on fixtures which may call the Cove game on Saturday 17th into question as well.

Personally I think that postponing either or both of the Ayr and Cove fixtures is a ridiculous over-reaction, While not a royalist, I would have been  very happy to pay respect to the late Queen with a minute's silence before either or both games.  No idea why all of life has to be cancelled. In many ways the Queen seemed to embody keeping going through all circumstances, so proceeding with the games while paying respect seems to be more true to her spirit than cancelling everything!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I believe that the rule is a 9 day moratorium on fixtures which may call the Cove game on Saturday 17th into question as well.

Personally I think that postponing either or both of the Ayr and Cove fixtures is a ridiculous over-reaction, While not a royalist, I would have been  very happy to pay respect to the late Queen with a minute's silence before either or both games.  No idea why all of life has to be cancelled. In many ways the Queen seemed to embody keeping going through all circumstances, so proceeding with the games while paying respect seems to be more true to her spirit than cancelling everything!

I would tend to agree with you but scenes at Tynecastle earlier, when they tried a minutes silence at half time, were appalling. 

The powers that be probably don't want to see that again.

Edited by Aliballibee
Spelling

8 hours ago, Aliballibee said:

I would tend to agree with you but scenes at Tynecastle earlier, when they tried a minutes silence at half time, were appalling. 

The powers that be probably don't want to see that again.

Didn’t see what happened at Tynecastle. Pretty sure there will be a minutes silence at games after the period of mourning anyway. 
And didn’t we just have 4 days celebrating the lady’s life in June ?

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Totally agree...  but the UK media/establishment powers will be turning this into a full-on festival with the lie the "entire country" is devastated and is fully supportive of life being cancelled. No other opinion will be heard or permitted. 

• Like 1

As of 6 mins ago: The SPFL will meet this morning to make a decision on those matches after official government guidance recommended that sports bodies consider cancelling events on the day of the state funeral, but have no obligation to do so on other days during the period of national mourning.

On that basis, the Ayr game should go ahead but..........................

Edited by CCjag

11 minutes ago, CCjag said:

As of 6 mins ago: The SPFL will meet this morning to make a decision on those matches after official government guidance recommended that sports bodies consider cancelling events on the day of the state funeral, but have no obligation to do so on other days during the period of national mourning.

Rangers will want the games off as a mark of respect but really to avoid 3 defeats on the trot! 

3 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Totally agree...  but the UK media/establishment powers will be turning this into a full-on festival with the lie the "entire country" is devastated and is fully supportive of life being cancelled. No other opinion will be heard or permitted. 

But the UK establishment/royal family/government etc says no cancellations are obligated. So it's people or bodies choosing this.  I would have expected cancellations on day of funeral but not before it.

25 minutes ago, CCjag said:

Absolutely agree, but suspect that the SPFL will take fright, lest they be accused of insensitivity, and causing offence to the easily offended.

It is a bit like the referee being called to look at the VAR screen. In theory the referee has a choice, but in practice the pressure to conform is too great (with the occasional commendable exception!).

45 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

But the UK establishment/royal family/government etc says no cancellations are obligated. So it's people or bodies choosing this.  I would have expected cancellations on day of funeral but not before it.

Doncaster probably thinks he can get a gong for "services to football" if he toes the line..... and he won't want to upset one of the ugly sisters

Don't post much, usually just read them, but .......

This is ridiculous. Nothing against the old woman. She was just a posh, pampered privileged old person. She has nothing in common with  my family or myself  and had done nothing for us.

Offering condolences or marks  of respect should be a personal choice.

Maybe TJF could poll their members to see if we agree with the sfa's decision?

It is possible they might want to postpone another round of fixtures that falls in the  "period of mourning/"   

Just ridiculous!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1