Cove Rangers

Lambies Lost Doo

I thought our finishing was the biggest reason we didn’t get 3 points- despite the shambles for set pieces

should have had 5 goals - Tiffoney too greedy, Graham far too slow and ponderous and should have been off earlier.  Fitzpatrick should have booted ball into net instead of back heel.

we are top of the league and that feels like a defeat 

• Like 2

What just happened?!? 
Coasting it, should’ve been more ahead then two of the scrappiest goals you’ll see. Poor defending but as others said we should’ve been out of sight by then.

3 subs at once was a crazy decision, knocked us off our rhythm & we paid the price. Need to learn from that.

Two (easy) points lost.

46 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought our finishing was the biggest reason we didn’t get 3 points- despite the shambles for set pieces

should have had 5 goals - Tiffoney too greedy, Graham far too slow and ponderous and should have been off earlier.  Fitzpatrick should have booted ball into net instead of back heel.

we are top of the league and that feels like a defeat 

Correct …. We should have been 3 or 4 up in the first half …. We then became complacent after we went 2 up …. Dreadful defending again 

Complacency 2 Cove 2

Should have been out of sight by half time, very wasteful in front of goal.

Going 2 up should have sealed it but we took our foot off the gas. We had a warning when they headed over when they should have scored.

Thought the subs were strange (apart for the injury to McMillan). At 2.0 everyone knows the next goal is pivotal and Graham and Tiff, whilst not having good  games, do the hard work in closing players down.  Their replacements aren’t as effective in doing so, particularly Fitzpatrick. 

I think IMC was going to take Lawless off next (another who works hard at closing down) but changed his ind when they got their first goal, so  IMC was complacent too. 

But with a 2 goal cushion we should still see it out but  the goals conceded were poor and it feels like a defeat. Only when they got their second did we get the finger out but too little too late.

Dont agree with the sentiment that “ we’re going nowhere under IMC”. We have a much better squad this season and are top of the league. But today needs to be a wake up call, we need to take a greater proportion of our chances, defend better and play for 90 mins.

We were pretty good in the first half - a goal, four absolute sitters missed and we worked our way into threatening positions on numerous occasions...we should have been out of sight by half-time. A goal from Banzo with his right foot and it looked like we were coasting to a routine victory. I was just thinking the second half was a  bit dull and that Cove were not really making any effort to get back in the game...then we managed to concede two sloppy goals from set pieces.

Top of the League and disappointed. 

That feels like a defeat. We had that game won. A great goal from Lawless and a well taken goal from Banzo. Our inability to defend set pieces cost us. 

The other scores went our way, but it could have and should have been so much better.

Tiffoney should have scored in the first thirty seconds or so when he managed to get one on one with the goalie.

I tend to believe our inability of turning attacking pressure into goals is our weak point. For much of the game up at Gayfield that was the case as well. We needed a sending off to ensure the three points then. Today we were coasting to a win but failed to capitalise on all our possession in the opposition's half. We're close to getting things very right but I feel under McCall tho' improvements are there, progress is painfully on the slow side. Let's hope it's not too slow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camallain said:

I don't know if anyone else in the John Lambie spotted it but the corner that led to Cove's equaliser should never have been awarded as it was 100 percent a by kick. No question about it the Cove player touched the ball last :thumbdown:

First, it was good to speak to you before the game. You are correct i didn't think it was a corner, but we should have defended the corner better. Remember just before the half time whistle the ref gave a foul against Graham when he didn't even touch the player.

We were off it today and then some.

Finishing lacked incision throughout the first half. Wonderful improvisation from Stevie Lawless for the goal mind.

Second half went 2-0 up......................and went through the motions thereafter. Rarely appeared in their penalty box until after Cove's equaliser.

Two goals lost from dead balls yet again, to add the the several we have lost in that manner already this season.

Praise to Cove for sticking to a well-organised game plan and ultimately exploiting our weaknesses for the point.

The evidence is all there. It's up to Thistle to take note and adapt.

Despite that, top of the league is not a bad place to be.