Thistle vs Morton

jagfox

After the great efforts of the Scotland team over the last week back down to Earth with a potentially tough .match with Morton.

After a great win early last season we were out fought and out thought by Imrie and his team 

Hopefully with a stronger side we can get some revenge with a win. 

Hire er, they seen to be the kind of sudw we have struggled with at home thus season and I'm not overly confident.

If we can convert our chances and mark any ageing defebders they have at set pieces I think we could win a close game. If not another frustrating draw could be on the cards.

Positive prediction: Thistle 2 Morton 1.

C'mon the Jags!

Edited by jagfox

Morton have had decent results against promotion fancied sides (0-0 at home to Dundee and winning 1-0 up in Inverness). But they've only picked up 4 pts in their other 5 games. I guess most of us will say a lot depends on which Jags team turns up on the day. The shot shy canny defend corners outfit or the attacking side (like v ICT) that will score more goals than they'll shed.. This time tho' a lot could depend on what Morton team turns up. 

Hopeful of a win but can see a scoring draw coming up.

If we are serious about challenging for the league we should be looking to win our games at home. We need to cut out the mistakes in defence and take a bigger percentage of our chances. Do that and we should pick up 3points, if not we will struggle to win.

A win on Saturday for Thistle and other results go our way we could go 3 points ahead at the top of the league.

59 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Or be 4th, 3 points behind the leaders. Pretty pointless at this time of the season 

If we lost we could be 3 points behind the leaders, but the lowest would be 3rd. 

Don't agree it is pointless at this time of the season if we want to challenge for the league. 

We have 6 league games in October, only 2 at home imo we should be looking at 6 points from those 2 games.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:38 PM, Anniesland Jag said:

A must win in against this mob,anything else and the alarm bells will start ringing especially with a string of tough aways coming  up !.

No way that any game in October is “must win”. We could loose and still be top, so how the hell can that be must win ?

Could be the most over used cliché by those trying to hype up a game. I’d bring back capital punishment for anyone using it.

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No way that any game in October is “must win”. We could loose and still be top, so how the hell can that be must win ?

Could be the most over used cliché by those trying to hype up a game. I’d bring back capital punishment for anyone using it.

I think that after losing a comfortable lead against Cove and then not turning up against Falkirk, even with a 2nd string, to get the team back on the rails for a busy October, a win is pretty important. Maybe not a must.

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

After Falkirk I don’t think McCall has too many selection problems.

Lets hope Tiff is fully fit.

I think that's what disappointed me more than anything else about the Falkirk game.  So many players with the opportunity to put in a performance and stake a claim for a regular start and it was all so half-hearted.  As you say, made McCall's selection rather easy.

Imrie will set Morton up to frustrate and to hit on the break. In returnand in general, our midfield has to move the ball quickly to our wide players and keep the pressure on their full backs. This will (I hope) destabilise their central defence.

We also have to play to the final whistle. If we can do this then we should win.

13 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Imrie will set Morton up to frustrate and to hit on the break. In returnand in general, our midfield has to move the ball quickly to our wide players and keep the pressure on their full backs. This will (I hope) destabilise their central defence.

We also have to play to the final whistle. If we can do this then we should win.

We need to start taking more of the chances we create. Every game we seem to miss at least a couple of clear cut chances.

21 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

This team has enough talent to easily dispatch the likes of Accies and Cove,the fact we are not is little worrying to say the least and as such a strong performance ,and more importantly three points, is vital against a middling Morton if we are to be serious contenders for the title and team confidence in a run up to a difficult month ,so in at sense it is a must win …so stick that in yer Stovepipe.

Edited by Anniesland Jag

37 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

This team has enough talent to easily dispatch the likes of Accies and Cove,the fact we are not is little worrying to say the least and as such a strong performance ,and more importantly three points, is vital against a middling Morton if we are to be serious contenders for the title and team confidence in a run up to a difficult month ,so in at sense it is a must win …so stick that in yer Stovepipe.

Bollocks !

Win, loose or draw, the world still goes round, we all still support Thistle, Cammy Smith will still be a Jags player and our expectations for the season will be unchanged. This is about as far removed from a “must win” as it is possible to get.

My stovepipe is now stuck up your stovepipe.

• Haha 1

As others have said not a must win,but after the last 10minutes collapse against Cove and what seems to have been a very poor performance at Falkirk we need to put up a good performance and hopefully get a win.

Imo a league title will not be won this early in the season but it can be lost if we have a few bad games/performances in a row. Confidence will be lost both by the team and fans.

Only 2 home games out of our next 6 league games, i feel we need to make the most of any advantage playing at Firhill will give us.

As others have mentioned Morton have injury and suspension problems, their fans also complaining about their lack of options upfront.

C'mon the Jags. :fan:

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Bollocks !

Win, loose or draw, the world still goes round, we all still support Thistle, Cammy Smith will still be a Jags player and our expectations for the season will be unchanged. This is about as far removed from a “must win” as it is possible to get.

My stovepipe is now stuck up your stovepipe.

If we carry on fumbling points at home to the likes of middling teams like Morton you can kiss the title goodbye,at this stage very much a must win IMO as the inevitable injuries/suspensions will surely rack up as the season progresses .

For the record I’m more of a Panama, cocked at a rakish angle man  thank you very much .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

9 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

If we carry on fumbling points at home to the likes of middling teams like Morton you can kiss the title goodbye,at this stage very much a must win IMO as the inevitable injuries/suspensions will surely rack up as the season progresses .

For the record I’m more of a Panama, cocked at a rakish angle man  thank you very much .

I guess you’re entitled to your own opinion, even if it is completely wrong.