Thistle vs Morton

jagfox

Thought we fully exploited their defensive frailties in the second half with Tiff giving them plenty to think about.. Good all round team performance though and I think when McKinnon,  Tiff and Dowds get up to full fitness we will give more than just Morton a doing.
Note that Dowds has the most goals scored per minute in the league coming off the bench. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/top-scorers
Thought that Turner looked very hungry to get on the ball when he came on, so it’s great to see competition all over the park now. 

Special mention to Milne, what a prospect he looks. More than once today tidying up in the right back position before moving to his place and gave Morton problems down the left too.

More to come from this team I think :head_ball:

There has been a certain edge to our home games so far this season...are we going to give the opposition a hammering or are we going to squander points? Good to see the former today although I still wasn't entirely sure by half time...fortunately Morton were more inept than we have been in defending cross balls and their Keeper was hopeless...we didn't have to be outstanding to win easily.

Lawless is a clever player...I hope he can maintain this form when pitches get heavier...Banzo played well too...I would have liked to see Turner and Tiffoney starting but they are pretty good players to come off the bench...Dowds too. Cammy Smith was typically anonymous...I don't think it's going to happen for him with us.

There are some difficult fixtures this month but this is a great opportunity to win this League.

2 hours ago, ChiThistle said:

Quality win.  May we always respond to going 1-0 down in that fashion.  Didn’t rue the easy missed chances (Graham header, Holt penalty) - instead we just created more.

Whole Saturday of drinking and rollercoasters ahead here.  Happy Saturday Jags fans!

Roller coaster, perfect for a Thistle fan,enjoy.:partyhat:

• Like 1

Second half I thought we were going to score every time we went forward. It was good to see Tiffoney be less greedy today and great for him to score from the angle he did. I guess McKinnon hadn’t fully recovered from his illness, but thought he did ok in the 1st half. Was totally confused by announcer today at the final subs - thought Lawless had gone off and Weston on. 

A good win which had the scope for even more goals. Not a fantastic performance but some really good stuff played at times.

Good to see the first half fight back which made for a very comfortable second half.

Funny when the Morton fandans in hospitality got the steward to let them in when we went 5-1 up.

Sends out a nessage to the rest of the league. If we can keep up the  wins at hone and sort out the away form we are on course for a good season.

I didn't think we played very well in the first half. We looked slow in possession and too quick to give the ball away.

Tactically I think McCall was playing Smith slight infield of the left wing to create space for Milne to overlap but Smith didn't really execute it well enough.

Second half we looked like we would score on every attack. Tiffoney's goal was as close to his old form as he has been this season. Docherty and Bannigan cruised that game.

Morton were really poor today. Really surprising to see an Imrie team unable to defend anything in the air or get close to anyone in midfield. As much as they were missing a couple of defenders I think they are in for a long season. 

Special mention for Robbie Murhead and the Morton fans in Hospitality. They went mad when they scored. I wonder if they celebrate all their consolation goals with the same vigour?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, laukat said:

I didn't think we played very well in the first half. We looked slow in possession and too quick to give the ball away.

Tactically I think McCall was playing Smith slight infield of the left wing to create space for Milne to overlap but Smith didn't really execute it well enough.

Second half we looked like we would score on every attack. Tiffoney's goal was as close to his old form as he has been this season. Docherty and Bannigan cruised that game.

Morton were really poor today. Really surprising to see an Imrie team unable to defend anything in the air or get close to anyone in midfield. As much as they were missing a couple of defenders I think they are in for a long season. 

Special mention for Robbie Murhead and the Morton fans in Hospitality. They went mad when they scored. I wonder if they celebrate all their consolation goals with the same vigour?

Thought we were good going forward and took our goals well against a very depleted Morton team, but a better forward (yes I know he scored a cracking free kick) could have had a hat trick kin the first half. Defense still looks shaky for high balls and set pieces, sort that out and we’ll be fine

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sandy said:

Good to see Turner getting on the pitch.

Who is Smiths agent? Wondering why McCall seems to pick him. 

………………………………………………

……………………

…………..

Stewart McGregor, Ark Sport

(just kidding - let conspiracy theories commence)

7 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Special mention to Milne, what a prospect he looks. More than once today tidying up in the right back position before moving to his place and gave Morton problems down the left too.

More to come from this team I think :head_ball:

Unnecessary yellow early on when in right back position which could have been avoided. Type of card that could easily turn to red later on and lose us the game. Other than that, love the guy.

1 hour ago, AlgarveJag said:

:D

Not much, the players were mediocre apparently.

still, we gave Morton a goal of a start and then ground out a 5-1 victory - you’d think we’d just lost a must win game.  :D

That struck me as well. Pretty obvious that this team are gearing up for a good season, but there will always be a minority who seem reluctant to praise the team/manager no matter what. 

• Like 1

May as well say it now… we’re going to win the league, aren’t we?

None of our competitors have the depth we have - what a difference from last season where we were close to sending on anyone who had a pair of boots with them.

Cut out the daft mistakes in defence, be lucky with injuries, and we’ll skoosh it. 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:01 AM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Some overreaction from folk on here. Definitely not a ' must win' as there is a long, long way to go of the season. 

This squad are pretty talented ( in championship terms). But the seem to be mentally weak. Down to the management I am afraid. 

Aye. Mentally weak. I'll take won 5 drawn 2 and lost 1, plus the vastly superior goal difference we have. Management seem to be doing a good job . 

6 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

May as well say it now… we’re going to win the league, aren’t we?

None of our competitors have the depth we have - what a difference from last season where we were close to sending on anyone who had a pair of boots with them.

Cut out the daft mistakes in defence, be lucky with injuries, and we’ll skoosh it. 

We will find out over next month.

Caley, Queens Park and Dundee in that time who I’d say will be the other 3 challengers.

Queens park seem a bit of a dark horse and are flying under the radar of the press so (currently) playing without pressure.

Caley are always tricky at their home 

Dundee have a decent squad and seem to be starting to get results.

Come a week on Saturday that league could be very tight whether we win on Friday or not if QP and Dundee win both their games

It will come down to how many chances we take in the game. In the 4 games I have been to at Firhill, we have taken the majority in 2 of them and won easily - in the other 2 we haven’t and ended up holding on vs Raith and dropping points vs Cove. And in every one we have had chances really early.  
One improvement yesterday seemed to be that we weren’t all over the place at set pieces in defence.

37 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We will find out over next month.

Caley, Queens Park and Dundee in that time who I’d say will be the other 3 challengers.

Queens park seem a bit of a dark horse and are flying under the radar of the press so (currently) playing without pressure.

Caley are always tricky at their home 

Dundee have a decent squad and seem to be starting to get results.

Come a week on Saturday that league could be very tight whether we win on Friday or not if QP and Dundee win both their games

We might not be top going into Friday’s game as QP play Morton midweek in their catch-up game. Dundee are also playing. 
Not sure if that’s what you were meaning.

• Thanks 1