Today's results

scotty

ICT's loss last night looks to have been heavily influenced by the amount of injuries they have. Before the game they had 7 players out due to injury, lost 1 in the warm up and another got subbed off injured during the game.  They run a squad of 21 so losing over a third is going to have an impact.

ICT have over the past few years signed a couple of players that appear injury prone (Welsh, Walsh, Doran) mainly because it made quality players affordable but the risk is they are missing for parts of the season.

Last season I thought ICT when they had their first choice 11 were the best team in the league but they had a long periods without a win. Part of the downturn was the Gardyne situation but it was also due again to key players getting injured. This time around I don't think ICT's first 11 is the best team in the league and if they suffer another run of injuries they may find it harder to cope with than even last season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If we draw tomorrow and Ayr lose then the top 5 teams will all be on 21 points after 13 games. If we somehow get 3 points we go top again which is mental considering how poor we have been in the last few games and how many key players we have out.

ICT were really poor mainly because they have a lot of injuries. Suspect the league will be won by the team who have the most luck with injuries or who can fill the gaps in January.

Edited by laukat
typo

7 minutes ago, laukat said:

If we draw tomorrow and Ayr lose then the top 5 teams will all be on 21 points after 13 games. If we somehow get 3 points we go top again which is mental considering how poor we have been in the last few games and how many key players we have out.

ICT were really poor mainly because they have a lot of injuries. Suspect the league will be won by the team who have the most luck with injuries or who can fill the gaps in January.

Lose 4-0 tomorrow and we still stay 5th.

If we do get our act together then I still think ICT and Dundee will be our biggest rivals. ICT currently have injury problems so tonight's result may flatter Morton a tad. Dundee can possibly afford the cost of a shake up in January and go one a winning run. Gotta say tho' whoever does win this league will struggle big time next season.   

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

With Ayr winning at least it keeps the 9 point distance in our relegation fight.

And Akinyemi bagged another couple taking his tally to 13 (I think) for season so far.  There seems to be a general consensus that McCall is a far better scout than tactician however if that is the case why do Ayr (whom surely we can compete with for signatures) find this lad from Welling Utd whilst we sign Mullins and Dowds who I don’t think have managed 5 goals between them this season to date.

33 minutes ago, elevenone said:

And Akinyemi bagged another couple taking his tally to 13 (I think) for season so far.  There seems to be a general consensus that McCall is a far better scout than tactician however if that is the case why do Ayr (whom surely we can compete with for signatures) find this lad from Welling Utd whilst we sign Mullins and Dowds who I don’t think have managed 5 goals between them this season to date.

Maybe we need to start realising that many of the poor players that have come and gone from Thistle are only poor when they play in our teams.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:41 AM, Anniesland Jag said:

Win ugly today please and get back to where we belong in this crazy league .

Not having a pop at you but I always feel this is the attitude of our board.. that we are somehow entitled to “belong” in the top league or chasing promotion, that we have a “rightful place” .. 

Of course that’s bollocks. Apart from the league relegating us during covid, our rightful place is whatever our performances merit. The board, and some past boards, live in the past when Thistle were a bigger and better club. It reeks of complacency. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

Our scouting has been poor. Loan signings aside, look thru the squad and it's hard to find a player that wasn't known to  most Jags fans before signing. Tunji being an exception and only came to Thistle because McCall is friendly with the Moyes family.

My oft stated view is McCall is a better man manager than tactician. He's good at getting players to sign. He is probably a better scout than tactician but if we have next to no effective scouting system then McCall's unlikely to see unknown prospects in the first place.  

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Our scouting has been poor. Loan signings aside, look thru the squad and it's hard to find a player that wasn't known to  most Jags fans before signing. Tunji being an exception and only came to Thistle because McCall is friendly with the Moyes family.

My oft stated view is McCall is a better man manager than tactician. He's good at getting players to sign. He is probably a better scout than tactician but if we have next to no effective scouting system then McCall's unlikely to see unknown prospects in the first place.  

Good points. I attend a meeting with the manager on Zoom just prior to the League 1 campaign. There was a question about scouting and the manager reply was that he knew most players in Scotland. The obvious follow up is that there is a world beyond our borders. With there being so many bigger clubs in England the number of younger players who will be released is large but they, as has been seen, could perform to a decent level here. Simply picking players from the much more limited market here puts you at a disadvantage in my opinion.

• Like 2