Aberdeen v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

Trusting everybody made it home from the game safely and in good time. These sort of results can have good or bad consequences. Can only hope the learning and humbling experience will have a galvanising effect. Two games coming up quickly. Both presenting difficulties. On form we should be edging QP at home, but having just had a difficult midweek game could make it that bit harder. Matches  at Somerset Pk are usually tricky even when Ayr haven't been performing. This time they are so doubly tricky.

We were completely overwhelmed in midfield in the 1st half.  Concerning!

But credit to the manager for changing personnel and system quickly to prevent an absolute pumping.  We had to sacrifice either Tiff or Stevie who were our most dangerous to make up for deficiencies of others.

On the credit side I thought all 5 subs played well, Smith particularly! Perhaps we do have some strength in depth. 

Sometimes I moan about big Brian’s lack of mobility but the attitude of the whole team completely changed when he came on. Inspirational! We can’t do without him.

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

But credit to the manager for changing personnel and system quickly to prevent an absolute pumping.  We had to sacrifice either Tiff or Stevie who were our most dangerous to make up for deficiencies of others.

On the credit side I thought all 5 subs played well, Smith particularly! Perhaps we do have some strength in depth. 

Sometimes I moan about big Brian’s lack of mobility but the attitude of the whole team completely changed when he came on. Inspirational! We can’t do without him.

You can't give him credit for making a complete **** up in the first place. It was suicidal to start the game with wingbacks being asked to get forward and leaving the 2 central defenders completely exposed to an Aberdeen attack that everyone knew had pace. We were away from home to a seasoned premier league side, so trying to attack them from the start is, at best, naive in the extreme.

We are better than last nights score, but one again, as he does far to regularly, McCall failed to get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You can't give him credit for making a complete **** up in the first place. It was suicidal to start the game with wingbacks being asked to get forward and leaving the 2 central defenders completely exposed to an Aberdeen attack that everyone knew had pace. We were away from home to a seasoned premier league side, so trying to attack them from the start is, at best, naive in the extreme.

We are better than last nights score, but one again, as he does far to regularly, McCall failed to get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

Somehow I think that if McCall had set the team up to play defensively and hope for a breakaway goal but lost anyway, you'd be on here saying that the plan was obviously going to fail and that McCall should have got the team to attack from the start.:happy2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

2 of those changes were forced, not planned with Holt being stretchered off and Muirhead being early booked  and struggling with injury.

Those give us a problem for Saturday and beyond

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Somehow I think that if McCall had set the team up to play defensively and hope for a breakaway goal but lost anyway, you'd be on here saying that the plan was obviously going to fail and that McCall should have got the team to attack from the start.:happy2:

Took the words right out of my mouth. IMC was, with some on this thread, in a no win position. Attack and get beat and he is clueless,  useless, got his tactics wrong etc, etc.

Set up for a defensive approach lose 1-0 and he lacks imagination, courage, not trying to win the game and we should have gone for it because Aberdeen were there for the taking and so on.

Aberdeen had 17 goal attempts and got 6 on target we managed 10 & 6 respectively.

Dundee went to Ibrox made 5 goal attempts and got 0 on target. There manager said he was proud the way his team contained Rangers but felt they could have done more!

I prefer our statistics.

When we talk of our manager not having a clue I think we need to look at the league table in Scotland's most competitive league! IMC is doing a lot better than Gary Caldwell , who didn't gave a clue!

• Like 3

The IMC love in here is hilarious. Yes, he has us top of the league, but quite frankly, as it is accepted that he has assembled the best squad in the keague, we are toiling to show that. We should be a bit more ahead at the top. 

He constantly is shown to be naive in his tactics, we have more below average displays than good, our defence is very suspect.

A half decent manager would get more out of this squad than McCall has.

A competitive league? That's another way of saying that it is a dreadful quality of football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The IMC love in here is hilarious. Yes, he has us top of the league, but quite frankly, as it is accepted that he has assembled the best squad in the keague, we are toiling to show that. We should be a bit more ahead at the top. 

He constantly is shown to be naive in his tactics, we have more below average displays than good, our defence is very suspect.

A competitive league? That's another way of saying that it is a dreadful quality of football.

The quality of the football in every league we have played in from Premier to the 1st had been called dreadful. It depends who or what league we compare against. The best two teams in Scotland are dreadful in the champions league this season. Historically we in Scotland always compared our football to that in England. Now we can compare it to football all round the world and inevitability it doesn't look good. 

Genuine question. What should we use to compare our league against another? 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I share your opinion in so much as I often question the quality of McCall's on the pitch decision making. I would question tho' the availability of a "half decent manager" at or below the level we play in. Either you're underrating McCall's overall managerial ability or setting the bar too high. In effect I'm saying that McCall is in relative terms a half decent manager.

Whether he's capable of managing effectively in the top tier is another question altogether. Perhaps a paradox but in our latter days in the top division if we had McCall involved in recruitment and the man management side of things we may have stayed up. Ideally I'd like to see us prepare for life in the top tier rather than a cross that bridge scenario. That said I'm not really suggesting bringing in a third assistant manager.:)

50 minutes ago, fifexile said:

The quality of the football in every league we have played in from Premier to the 1st had been called dreadful. It depends who or what league we compare against. The best two teams in Scotland are dreadful in the champions league this season. Historically we in Scotland always compared our football to that in England. Now we can compare it to football all round the world and inevitability it doesn't look good. 

Genuine question. What should we use to compare our league against another? 

The point regards a dreadful league is that this squad should be doing better than they are. That is down to the manager and his coaching staff.

What McCall cannot legislate for are the individual errors and slackness that contributed to 3 of the goals on Wednesday - of course no manager can.

If misplaced passes, dithering on the ball, mis-control in your own penalty area and deflections are all the fault of managers then I suspect managerial tenures will become even shorter than they already are.

He isn't the best manager that's ever been at Firhill - not by a distance - but to ascribe all of the blame to him after a 4-1 away defeat to a team in the league above when all of these "misdemeanours" contributed to the score-line is perhaps a little unfair.