Thistle v QP

Albert's Ghost

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t think the penalty made a difference. We were outplayed by technically better and physically stronger players who were better organised and more motivated.

It made a big difference. We were well on top when we missed it. No one in the ground at that point would have forseen the capitulation of the second half. We will of course never know. Personally I think when tiffoney had to go off that had a very negative impact on the teams mentality. He's that important and of course that's not a good thing and shows we don't in fact have great depth to the squad as perhaps many of us thought we had. Ayr game is huge. Win it and we go top. Loose it and we will be on the slide. A draw would not be a disaster. 

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

It made a big difference. We were well on top when we missed it. No one in the ground at that point would have forseen the capitulation of the second half. We will of course never know. Personally I think when tiffoney had to go off that had a very negative impact on the teams mentality. He's that important and of course that's not a good thing and shows we don't in fact have great depth to the squad as perhaps many of us thought we had. Ayr game is huge. Win it and we go top. Loose it and we will be on the slide. A draw would not be a disaster. 

In other words, it's a six-pointer! :happy3:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Please don't have thoughts like that!

Don't worry: I'm already coming around to "bad day at the office" thoughts about the QP game. First league defeat at Firhill since the start of the season (according to McCall). The defeat was bad, but the feat overall (still sitting second) is pretty good. 

I even have a feeling that our numerous nonentities will produce a win on Tuesday.

Edited by Jaggernaut

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I watched a documentary series on channel 4 called Football Dreams The Academy, which is about their academy set up. Well worth a watch. It is on All 4 and has 6 episodes.

No use to us AJ , our Academy is a complete and utter waste of time , no genuine path for our youngsters to make the first team , got a manager who would rather develop Sevco youngsters, pick up journeymen pros like Cammy Smith , Lee Hodson , Danny Mullen etc .

Lads like Stanway , Zander McKenzie, Billy Owens and Lyons deserve a chance to find out whether they can make the grade at Firhill but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen with the dinosaur that is Ian McCall .

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Aye well whatever. You bury your head in the sand.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

No use to us AJ , our Academy is a complete and utter waste of time , no genuine path for our youngsters to make the first team , got a manager who would rather develop Sevco youngsters, pick up journeymen pros like Cammy Smith , Lee Hodson , Danny Mullen etc .

Lads like Stanway , Zander McKenzie, Billy Owens and Lyons deserve a chance to find out whether they can make the grade at Firhill but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen with the dinosaur that is Ian McCall .

I was just replying to @Albert's Ghost who said how Crystal Palace churn the players out. As i say it is a very good series showing the ups and downs for the young players at the academy.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Don't worry: I'm already coming around to "bad day at the office" thoughts about the QP game. First league defeat at Firhill since the start of the season (according to McCall). The defeat was bad, but the feat overall (still sitting second) is pretty good. 

I even have a feeling that our numerous nonentities will produce a win on Tuesday.

I keep comparing our points total to last season. After 11 games we had 17 points and were 5th - 6 points behind Killie. However, there was a gap starting to appear between us and 6th placed Ayr on 12 points. So we are only 3 points better off at the moment, but the league is much tighter with only 5 points separating the top 7.  I think it is going to be like snakes and ladders in the next few weeks for these teams as they all seem to be beating each other.

We're a better team than we were last season for sure.

However, yesterday comprehensively demonstrated why Holt and Docherty are integral to our fortunes. Three goals lost down our right defensive channel (and three other good foot saves from Sneddon in the second half from the same area) showed why Muirhead needs Docherty in front of him to do the dirty covering work when Turner and Bannigan lose the ball upfield.

Tiffoney's fitness has been compromised all season by whatever injury it is he's attempting to play through (muscular??). McKinnon also seems not to have properly recovered from his illness.

Either way, the fact that Tiffoney is still being selected ahead of Aidan Fitzpatrick is a scathing indictment on the latter who should be grabbing the opportunity to cement a starting place, but has singularly failed to do so.

The second half yesterday also proved that the depth in the squad, although demonstrably better than last season, cannot cope with Holt, Docherty, Tiffoney, Graham and Lawless all being off the park simultaneously - although that infers no criticism of Dowds who is clearly an asset at this level.

Mullen, Weston and Smith need to produce more or be shipped out in favour of others in January, assuming we are able to do so contractually.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Aye well whatever. You bury your head in the sand.

So you disagree lol. Let's hope the result is a favourable one on Tuesday. You might even break out with some positive comment ( though I doubt it ). I'll bet that's bringing you out in a cold sweat.....

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

But imo if the pen goes in we have a very different game. 

Absolutely right. The whole mood of the game changes. Their heads are down, Ours are up. Once they got out of jail they took full advantage. That's twice I've seen them this season, and they're a very tidy team.

15 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Have to agree sadly and lets not forget Cameron Cooper, sold off to Sevco before lad even breaks through with us.

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

Have to agree sadly and lets not forget Cameron Cooper, sold off to Sevco before lad even breaks through with us.

Do we know the all the details relating to this deal ? It might have been a good deal for us. However, McCall is reluctant to take risks with players whether they are young or not “match fit “