Raith Rovers on Saturday

a f kincaid

Sadly coming more round to the idea that it is time for a change of management.

I know we have some injuries but even with Holt in the team we could not keep a clean sheet. We are better than we are showing, in my opinion. Was not at Ayr or Kirkcaldy today but seems like there was a lack of fight which is unacceptable regardless of who is playing and a team is always a reflection of its manager so McCall needs to take responsibility for that.

The strange thing is that we are still in with a chance of winning this league (assuming we can get back to the performances of early season) and getting a play off place at the least. If we make a change now it gives the new manager the time to assess the squad prior to January's transfer window.

The worry though is that the last time our current chairman had to appoint a manager we ended up with Caldwell.

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 1

Raith took it easy in the second half and saved us from further embarrassment.

We’re rudderless. No leadership. No ideas. Ok we’re missing some key players but the alleged “strength and depth” of the squad has been shredded. We look as if we’ll get pumped every week. 

The lesser spotted Jacqui Low might be forced out of hiding to address this but I doubt it

39 minutes ago, scotty said:

Talk of "we" may just be pointless. As the chair, board and chief exec seem to be untouchable maybe the management are too! :shok:Don't see that there's much the fans can do.

Remember the fans own the club! Although I doubt even if every benificiary was in agreement and contacted the PTFC Trust about an issue they would bother.

The way I try to look at is whether the performance and league position of the team is consistent with the squad we have……so could you reasonably expect another manager to improve the performances and league position of the team with the same players….

im beginning to think ….yes 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Sadly coming more round to the idea that it is time for a change of management.

I know we have some injuries but even with Holt in the team we could not keep a clean sheet. We are better than we are showing, in my opinion. Was not at Ayr or Kirkcaldy today but seems like there was a lack of fight which is unacceptable regardless of who is playing and a team is always a reflection of its manager so McCall needs to take responsibility for that.

The strange thing is that we are still in with a chance of winning this league (assuming we can get back to the performances of early season) and getting a play off place at the least. If we make a change now it gives the new manager the time to assess the squad prior to January's transfer window.

The worry though is that the last time our current chairman had to appoint a manager we ended up with Caldwell.

Agree and the bit in bold worries me the most. If I was a Neil Lennon or Jack Ross or any decent manager why on earth would you want to work with JLow? Conversely she will probably appoint an utter chancer as long as they massages her ego or go for the cheap option in appointing Brian Graham whilst citing his success in womens football. Graham may become a decent manager but this would be too soon for him.

However all that is separate from the fact that a manager of a professional football club should not be setting up a team to lose 11 goals in 3 league games. No team in this league had the attack to break down a team that defends reasonably well.

We have injuries to 2 defenders (Holt and Docherty) we're not at ICT levels of injuries but we've lost  11 goals in games whereas ICT have lost 15 goals all season.  

We definitely have a squad capable of playing better and challenging for the title. McCall deserves credit for the squad he has put together much like last time he was in charge but much like last time we need someone else to organise and coach that squad if we want to win the league.

If he's still in charge next week anything other than a win will make his position untenable 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I'll keep McCall.  Our strongest XI is a very good team. 4-3-3 formation is when we are at our best.  Need to ride out the storm and look forward to better results.

I was of that opinion last season during our late season collapse but what has changed, for me anyway, is that when you have a few injuries, etc you make yourself hard to beat and work hard and that has not been on display. Under McCall when we are good we generally are very good but when we are not so good we tend to get turned over easily. I think he has a good eye for a player and we are better placed than when he took over but maybe time to let someone else see if they can get more out of this squad.

6 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I'll keep McCall.  Our strongest XI is a very good team. 4-3-3 formation is when we are at our best.  Need to ride out the storm and look forward to better results.

A good manager shouldn’t be judged on how his best XI play. That’s easy. A good manager needs to deal with problems & setbacks positively.

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

However all that is separate from the fact that a manager of a professional football club should not be setting up a team to lose 11 goals in 3 league games. No team in this league had the attack to break down a team that defends reasonably well.

Got the key point there for me - given the standard we are up against, there is no way we should be losing goals the way we currently are.

I'm struggling to think of ever seeing a quicker decline from a Thistle team over such a short space of time.

Hand could be forced to replace the management team by the end of November.

5 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

It might be but you can’t rely on them being available every week and the replacements are clearly not up to it. “Riding out the storm” might mean doing so for a long time as we don’t know the extent of the injuries, and the last 3 games suggests that’s not going to happen…. Confidence has been shot and the manager doesn’t appear to know his best formation nor who should start

30 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

I’m not a big fan of sacking managers & I do feel McCall cares for the club.

However, the stress test is do I feel if anyone else could do better? In the past, I’ve been unsure. Now? Answer is a definite YES.

We have decent players, but something isn’t working & we need a change… and fast.

This is a genuine question, could the club afford to pay off him, Scally & Archie? Do they not have 18 months left on their contracts 

11 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

This is a genuine question, could the club afford to pay off him, Scally & Archie? Do they not have 18 months left on their contracts 

I don't think it was ever stated when he returned how long the contract was or if it was a rolling contract (usual PTFC communication). But as it is 3 years since his return I would doubt there would be 18 months left on his contract, unless an extension was signed but not announced.

Our title winning team in November 2012 shows how far quality has dropped -and indeed for the division as a whole . Still having lawless and muirhead 10 years later says a lot.  Remembering also that this team had to be strengthend over the course of the season to get us over the lineB7CB4D8E-F608-470E-BCFE-C09CD85456A5.thumb.png.d5d0f9eb4775aa6c1ca435aa73fcb815.pngThink we all probably overestimated squad depth this year.

1 minute ago, dibble said:

Our title winning team in November 2012 shows how far quality has dropped -and indeed for the division as a whole . Still having lawless and muirhead 10 years later says a lot.  Remembering also that this team had to be strengthend over the course of the season to get us over the lineB7CB4D8E-F608-470E-BCFE-C09CD85456A5.thumb.png.d5d0f9eb4775aa6c1ca435aa73fcb815.pngThink we all probably overestimated squad depth this year.

Types of players from that season we miss are Paton, Welsh, and Steven Craig who shared the goals with Doolan.

11 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Still friggin' raging at this result and if our coaching team are not then we do have have a serious problem. Haven't looked at who's up next to pump us, though it doesn't matter, for this team have to win next week or he and his coaching staff should do what's best for the club and walk.

Dundee at Firhill

Feels like the club is a house of cards with paper tigers on the pitch right now.

Not heard any official response to today's shambles yet? 

ETA: Just watched on Jagzone. McCall understandably downbeat. 

I'm not sure how long he has on his contract but signed a three year deal in September 2019.

I'm sure he extended but not sure if that is for another 6 or 18 months?

The board will probably extend it on Monday.