Jags vs Dungdee Sat 05/11 2022

Jimmy McD

Ok….we go in two up at half time even though they looked slightly better than us. It was always clear that the next goal would be crucial and I felt if they got one they would get more. Our decision to simply defend for the whole of the second half put pressure on the weakest part of our team , the defense. It was a very poor game from two poor sides. Good to see long punts up  the park have not gone away.

Our shape was incomprehensible with a huge gap between the midfield and front players which made all the long balls even more bizarre.

the squad is clearly not good enough which is ultimately McCall responsibility.

a decent keeper would have prevented at least two of the goals.

if McCall won’t do it then the board have to and the back room staff should go.

doing nothing is not an option.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok….we go in two up at half time even though they looked slightly better than us. It was always clear that the next goal would be crucial and I felt if they got one they would get more. Our decision to simply defend for the whole of the second half put pressure on the weakest part of our team , the defense. It was a very poor game from two poor sides. Good to see long punts up  the park have not gone away.

Our shape was incomprehensible with a huge gap between the midfield and front players which made all the long balls even more bizarre.

When the opposition manager makes a triple change at half time you would expect any manager worth their salt to react to this but we just let them come at us.

Also, now that I don't have my 50/50 duties I am in the ground at lot earlier and have noticed that most weeks the opposition are out warming up a good 10 minutes before we appear. When things are going against you (or that is how you perceive it) then you work harder.

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Jaqui Lowe won’t sack McCall as he is part of the nonsense going on in the background and financially we can’t afford to get rid of a manager and two assistant managers.

You called the game right, worked well in the first half with the two wing backs pushing forward but give credit to the Dundee manager who changed it at halftime with his changes not allowing our two wing backs to get forward, so our 3 at the back becomes a 5 and that’s where the gaps started to appear middle to front with McCall doing nothing to change it .

Time is up Ian .

Does @Camallain have recording of Dundee 1st goal / potential foul.

That 2nd half it was obvious if they scored once we would collapse.  Very disappointing.  I can't fault @javeajag and @jlsarmy thoughts on the game above.

Harry Milne only player who got pass marks and SOD & Stef Craig at half time draw.

Another game of two halves - two serious attacks in the first half and two good goals. Dundee had more of the ball but were very pedestrian. They committed substitutes at half time and stepped up the pace but we made it embarrassingly easy for them. I was at the City End of the JHS so I watched most of the second half at a distance but from my seat the first goal might have been a foul but should really have been an easy catch for the keeper...for the second, the ball pin-balled about from our box from yet another corner we failed to defend...and  the third looked to go straight through Mitchell. I just saw a melee but assume that Muirhead got himself stupidly sent off, not for the first time.

I can't recall a half when I had less expectation of Thistle scoring...a sclaffed shot from Milne was our only effort at goal in a very long 45 minutes.

I thought we had a reasonably strong squad but the back ups have failed miserably since the game against Falkirk. I am no wiser about why we signed Mullen - he was so ineffective I actually thought he was Cammy Smith.

We have given huge boosts to Inverness, Queens Park, Ayr, Raith & Dundee in successive games...none of them have had to be particularly good to beat us but they are all now above us in the League. The most frustrating thing is that with a full strength side and a vaguely competent defence we should be well clear at the top.

27 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Does @Camallain have recording of Dundee 1st goal / potential foul.

That 2nd half it was obvious if they scored once we would collapse.  Very disappointing.  I can't fault @javeajag and @jlsarmy thoughts on the game above.

Harry Milne only player who got pass marks and SOD & Stef Craig at half time draw.

I'm afraid not . I very rarely get opposition goals however I did catch their 2nd today. Ian McCall has stated in his post match interview that it was not a foul and from what I could see it looked like a complete howler from Mitchell.

Harry Milne’s post match interview on Jagszone more honest than McCall’s. Lad looked completely devastated.

IMC - first 60min we were great

HM - first half we were decent but didn’t play  exceptionally well

IMC - win next week against Morton and we go above them

HM - not many more times we can say the leagues tight  if we play like that 

• Like 1

I thought Dundee looked dreadful particularly in the first 45. Even when we had 10 men they still looked poor which as just as well as we lost all semblance of structure in the last 15 minutes.

We were comfortable up until Mitchell drops a clanger then the confidences just disappeared from the team. We desperately needed a leader on the park when we lost the first goal just to regroup and refocus the team but without Docherty or Graham we just don't have that on the park right now. 

Without leadership on the park we needed leadership from the bench. Instead we got a strange sub.

Bannigan gets injured and he puts Hodson in midfield and MacKenzie in Hodson's place. The back 5 had done fine up until that point why on earth would you change it?

To top it off we took Bannigan off and restarted with 10 because we couldn't get the sub on fast enough or tell Bannigan just to stay on the ground.

He should have put Stanway or Lyon on. Problem today wasn't the 5 at the back, the problem was the 3 in front of them were offering little protection so personally at 2-0 up I would have taken off Mullen put 4 in midfield and played 5-4-1.

On the plus side  McMillan, Milne, Hodson, Mullen and Dowds were decent. Bannigan, Brownlie and Turner were ok. 

McKinnon still looks lost and the least said about Mitchell today the better. Muirhead getting himself sent off was gross stupidity.

Assuming Bannigan and Muirhead  are out for next week and neither Docherty, Tiffoney, Graham or Holt are available then god knows what sort of team we can scrape together. 

19 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

My recollection  of their 2nd goal was that we actually had a throw in down towards Dundee's box, cheaply gave it away and then ended up having to concede the corner. Not one player with enough game intelligience to kill the move at the start, take a booking at get back in to a defensive shape.

Absolutely this.

No movement to support the thrower (Stevie Lawless and Anton Dowds, you are both in focus here) ball cheaply lost from a desperation throw-in to nothing, Dundee break effectively and corner conceded.

And then the corner - let's not go there.

It was a criminal goal to for a professional team to lose.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

My recollection  of their 2nd goal was that we actually had a throw in down towards Dundee's box, cheaply gave it away and then ended up having to concede the corner. Not one player with enough game intelligience to kill the move at the start, take a booking at get back in to a defensive shape.

Ditto this & Barney Rubble's comment. Spot on.

I know it's a cliché but if you do your defending in the opposition half it's hard to get beat. What was even more infuriating about that throw in was we were still playing two upfront (Dowds & Lawless) presumably to hold the ball up and make it difficult for Dundee get a grip of the game. Crucial when we're playing with only three in midfield. Easy to blame individual defenders and the goalie. I'm not defending them but we don't help them either playing a non tackling midfield and and not holding the ball up play ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

The never spotted ever again Danny Mullen.

His only contribution to the game was that he isn't Cammy Smith.

Tbh I felt sorry for Mullen….long aimless balls usually in the air, nothing to his feet and no one to hold it up for…..he put in the effort but there wasn’t much he could do with that type of service 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Tbh I felt sorry for Mullen….long aimless balls usually in the air, nothing to his feet and no one to hold it up for…..he put in the effort but there wasn’t much he could do with that type of service 

There's nothing there to disagree with to be honest, I wouldn't have wanted to be Mullen or Dowds today with the paucity of service available to them.

However in the few minutes that we had a full complement on the park after Stevie Lawless came on, he appeared to link better with others. I assume he wasn't fit enough to even risk a half.

We have 2 keepers who are bombscares.  A goalkeeping coach who seems to have regressed them both

A defence that cant defend

A strike force that cant score - Graham is injured just now but even some of the sitters he has missed have been embarassing.

A midfield that is weak

We have 2 assistant managers where training is either non existent or seems to end up in half the squad getting injured.

A team where bar today managers favourites like Smith are constantly giving starts ahead of better players like Turner and Fitzpatrick.

The buck though ultimately will stop with McCall who despite being a fan of I cant really defend.

Though if he goes then i would hope the 2 keepers, goalkeeping coach, assistant managers, Hodson, Smith, Akinola, Brownlow (hes been injured but he has to take a lot of responsibility for his lack of fitness and overweight) etc go with him.

Other than Milne, McMillan and Docherty (bar the odd game here and there) have consistently played well