Manager's Position

Fawlty Towers

Manager's Position  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should the manager be dismissed?

• Yes - now.
    • Yes but only if results have not improved by end of November.
    • No - give him full season and make a decision then.

McCall's strength is in finding players and building a squad and to be fair the current squad is decent. He can build teams that play attractive football.

However today emphasised that building disciplined organised defensive structure is just a skill he doesn't have.

Don't care what injuries we have a reasonable coach should be able to park the bus and hold onto a 2 goal lead.

We now need a manager who can bring organisation, fight and discipline to a squad. If we find that we might just win this league.

Personally I think Neil Lennon might be what we need but equally Jack Ross would be a decent shout. Not sure if we could afford the compensation but Dougie Imrie might be worth considering.

Unfortunatley with Jlow in charge she'll probably try and get some brownie points form the media by appointing some unknown who is 'a la mode'

17 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Jack Ross….last 2 teams managed lasted only seven games and got binned….even if he pulled the wool could we afford him ?

Dundee United was 7 games. Don’t know what went wrong there. Hibs was 96 games, including 2 cup finals, and his record at Sunderland and St.Mirren was not too shabby.

16 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

At this point there is no vacancy but I have always assumed, possibly incorrectly, that clubs would "keep an eye" on managers should  they need to make an appointment.

People I would like to see us speak to: Neil MacFarlane (Coach of Brentford's B Team), Darren O'Dea (coaching Celtic's B Team with Stephen McManus), Marvin Bartley (Livingston Assistant Manager) and Tam Courts who did a good job at Dundee United before his spell at Honved.

Spoke to someone within football and the name he mentioned was Kevin Thompson, he’s thought of highly within football circles.

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Dundee United was 7 games. Don’t know what went wrong there. Hibs was 96 games, including 2 cup finals, and his record at Sunderland and St.Mirren was not too shabby.

Last season with Hibs was seven defeats in 9 league games before being binned with style of play accused of being  “dull and boring “. Agreed he did have some cup success and top three position for Hibs in first season …but could we afford him ?  

3 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Last season with Hibs was seven defeats in 9 league games before being binned with style of play accused of being  “dull and boring “. Agreed he did have some cup success and top three position for Hibs in first season …but could we afford him ?  

Only one way to find out. Also plenty more names given, so there is no shortage of potential applicants.

30 minutes ago, laukat said:

McCall's strength is in finding players and building a squad and to be fair the current squad is decent. He can build teams that play attractive football.

However today emphasised that building disciplined organised defensive structure is just a skill he doesn't have.

Don't care what injuries we have a reasonable coach should be able to park the bus and hold onto a 2 goal lead.

We now need a manager who can bring organisation, fight and discipline to a squad. If we find that we might just win this league.

Personally I think Neil Lennon might be what we need but equally Jack Ross would be a decent shout. Not sure if we could afford the compensation but Dougie Imrie might be worth considering.

Unfortunatley with Jlow in charge she'll probably try and get some brownie points form the media by appointing some unknown who is 'a la mode'

Imrie came to mind for me - he has done a brilliant job with a dross squad. Suspect the compensation would be too much though. 

On the Morton theme, when Holt got injured, Efe Ambrose should have been a short term fix for us and he is now there. 

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Had a good season with Kelty Hearts, was a bit of a shock that he left them but would be worth speaking to.

Even Gary Caldwell could've managed that Kelty Hearts squad and they still would've won League Two. That's not saying Thomson would be poor manager. Just not much to go on. 

13 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

Imrie came to mind for me - he has done a brilliant job with a dross squad. Suspect the compensation would be too much though. 

On the Morton theme, when Holt got injured, Efe Ambrose should have been a short term fix for us and he is now there. 

Yeah,Imrie would be a good shout.Gets the best out of players and instills a never say die mentality in team picked up from his Premier league survivor days at Accies ….would also ram it right up Morton for good measure and would fit our budget I suspect .

Edited by Anniesland Jag
  • Like 1

Don't fancy Kevin Thompson at all. Won a league with Kelty when he had a budget that dwarfed every other team in the league.

We need a manager that can instill discipline and who might occasionally throw the teacups around. To my mind McCall is too pally with the players.

If we're not going to go with experience in a Lennon/Ross or and Imrie then I would prefer to give it Brian Graham.  

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Even Gary Caldwell could've managed that Kelty Hearts squad and they still would've won League Two. That's not saying Thomson would be poor manager. Just not much to go on. 

Did Jackie McNamara have any track record at all when he came to Firhill  , Kevin Thompson has lots of contacts within the game , got a knowledge of young players after working within the Rangers Academy, rather we went in that direction rather than journeymen pros like Cammy Smith ,Danny Mullen and I’ll also add David Mitchell to that list

Got to be wholesale changes to our Club and the direction we want to evolve to .

17 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Yeah,Imrie would be a good shout.Gets the best out of players and instills a never say die mentality in team picked up from his Premier league survivor days at Accies ….would also ram it right up Morton for good measure and would fit our budget I suspect .

Unfortunately we would have to endure hoofball with a Dougie Imrie team , though I’m sure Archie would welcome him !!

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Did Jackie McNamara have any track record at all when he came to Firhill  , Kevin Thompson has lots of contacts within the game , got a knowledge of young players after working within the Rangers Academy, rather we went in that direction rather than journeymen pros like Cammy Smith ,Danny Mullen and I’ll also add David Mitchell to that list

Got to be wholesale changes to our Club and the direction we want to evolve to .

You make a good point. There would be no point in appointing someone who wants lots of experienced players if we want to be a club which develops our own youth players or vice versa.

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not too sure why you're quoting me. I don't have an opinion about Kevin Thomson. 

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

At this point there is no vacancy but I have always assumed, possibly incorrectly, that clubs would "keep an eye" on managers should  they need to make an appointment.

People I would like to see us speak to: Neil MacFarlane (Coach of Brentford's B Team), Darren O'Dea (coaching Celtic's B Team with Stephen McManus), Marvin Bartley (Livingston Assistant Manager) and Tam Courts who did a good job at Dundee United before his spell at Honved.

Genuinely where did you get half these names from?  Only Courts has first team experience and he is not still at Honved.  Courts maybe if he was available, but dont really see how the others should be top of the list of people to speak too?  I would hope Dougie Imrie, Neil Lennon and Jack Ross were all approached before any of these unTried Assistant Managers

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Genuinely where did you get half these names from?  Only Courts has first team experience and he is not still at Honved.  Courts maybe if he was available, but dont really see how the others should be top of the list of people to speak too?  I would hope Dougie Imrie, Neil Lennon and Jack Ross were all approached before any of these unTried Assistant Managers

With regards to Courts:

Although his team defeated Zalaegerszegi TE at the ZTE Arena on 22 October 2022 on the 12th match day of the season[14], Courts left the club by mutual consent on 24 October 2022.[15]

And can I ask what was Imrie before he was appointed at Morton?

6 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

With regards to Courts:

Although his team defeated Zalaegerszegi TE at the ZTE Arena on 22 October 2022 on the 12th match day of the season[14], Courts left the club by mutual consent on 24 October 2022.[15]

And can I ask what was Imrie before he was appointed at Morton?

Imrie has clearly shown ability as a Manager taking a team that was bottom with no budget to the team that is near top of the league - the others bar Courts have not and would be complete gambles that could spectacularly fail.  Of course every appointment to an extent is a gamble but Imrie has proven so far he has what it takes and is a young up and coming manager that should be one of the names top of our list if we were to be looking for a new manager.

For what its worth I think there is at times a snobbery in some parts involved in running the club who would view Imrie as a wee ned type and wouldnt employ them- they would much rather a jobs for the boys type like who is a favourite to them.  Imrie strikes me as telling it as it is, a motivator - someone we should be going for but sadly who i fear some of the snobs would not entertain

I dont get the Imrie would cost too much, Morton are skint and have no money - according to the accounts that is one area we are not struggling in as much.  Regardless of current league positions Partick Thistle would still be viewed as a bigger club to manage than Morton

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Imrie has clearly shown ability as a Manager taking a team that was bottom with no budget to the team that is near top of the league - the others bar Courts have not.

For what its worth I think there is at times a snobbery in some parts involved in running the club who would view Imrie as a wee ned type and wouldnt employ them- they would much rather a jobs for the boys type like who is a favourite to them.  Imrie strikes me as telling it as it is, a motivator - someone we should be going for but sadly who i fear some of the snobs would not entertain

I agree he has shown a good level ability as manager but prior to that was untried as a first team manager having been a coach at Livingston and a youth coach at Accies prior to that. I just don't think we should  restrict ourselves to only people who have managed before.

4 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I agree he has shown a good level ability as manager but prior to that was untried as a first team manager having been a coach at Livingston and a youth coach at Accies prior to that. I just don't think we should  restrict ourselves to only people who have managed before.

No but our first consideration should be to who has managed and has been successful and affordable and Imrie ticks those boxes before any of the assistants or coaches you mentioned