Manager's Position

Fawlty Towers

Manager's Position  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should the manager be dismissed?

• Yes - now.
    • Yes but only if results have not improved by end of November.
    • No - give him full season and make a decision then.

There is no doubting McCall ability in spotting talent. It's his managerial qualities that are in question. His time at Ayr is not an accurate reflection because without Shankland they struggled.  He clearly is incapable of identifying problems and resolving them.  Those who occupy the same dugout are a clear case in point, Archiebald was brought back to curry favour with the support after the disgraceful way Kris Dollan was mistreated.  The "jobs for the boys" attitude will destroy the club. Thistle are not now the only "nice wee cuddly alternative" in town.  Queens Park have kicked our ar@e twice, they won promotion on a pitch McCall used as an excuse. they have real ambitions. I mentioned McCall was the wrong man for the job when he was appointed with the caveat that once he was in, we would be stuck with him. Are we going to wait until the Kelty game. more money down the drain.

I could be wrong about this but wasn’t the Club still paying off Archie’s previous management contract through gardening leave when McCall came back? That might partly explain the slightly unusual situation of him having two assistants: it was a less expensive way to get an extra member of coaching staff in having just sacked Caldwell and Kerr…

18 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

The scenarios I have in my head are:

a. where a proud and haughty chairman starts saying things like “that’s now not up to me/I can’t make a new decision on that/that’s for the ‘owners’ to give instruction on”, while the famous five of the PTFC Trust collectively wet their knickers or bury their heads in the sand (as evidenced by their recent absence from… everything!). I can easily see JLow taking that sort of line and how it might lead to paralysis at the club.

b. Or the opposite: the so-called Trust are actually trying to make decisions according to the letter of the law (i.e. they’re technically in control) and the board/chair are actively resisting it. Again, I can see Ms Low doing exactly that.

c. Or even this: the chair is trying to involve the Trust in decision making and they’re simply too inexperienced/overwhelmed to do it. Again leading to stagnation and a lack of decision-making, even bad blood amongst individuals or groups. Probably giving JLow too much credit with this example though…

Our current mess of an ownership structure is set up for exactly these types of civil war, which (and it’s just my view) will trickle down to disharmony throughout the club including on the pitch. For example, say  McCall saw all the problems we now see in defence and wanted to sign a cover defender, and for one of the above reasons it couldn’t happen. 

(And that is of course why the ownership transfer should never have happened.)

I’m not saying any of the above is necessarily the case. I’m saying the timing of the slump and the ownership mess suggest it to me.

I may be missing something, but the fan ownership thing was never about day to day management of the club. 
The share transfer being “settled” should give them more time to focus on the club.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Have you actually read them?

Cash reserves dropped from £623 k to £311k creditors up from £428k to £723k plus posting a loss of £280k

Debtors also went up though, Norge - but I tend to agree that they didn’t look as healthy as the Directors statement suggested. However, I suppose you also should look at 3BC’s accounts for the same period. Is there anything besides the shares being transferred ?

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I could be wrong about this but wasn’t the Club still paying off Archie’s previous management contract through gardening leave when McCall came back? That might partly explain the slightly unusual situation of him having two assistants: it was a less expensive way to get an extra member of coaching staff in having just sacked Caldwell and Kerr…

I think it was David Beattie that decided not to part ways with Archie around May/Jun 2018 (after being relegated). He was sacked early October later that year. He returned with McCall late Sept the following year. So that would mean Archie wasn't on a year's rolling contract when sacked if your theory is correct. I can only assume if you're right that Archie got awarded with a 3 year deal around summer 2017 as reward for the top six finish. It's hard to imagine the way results were going he got an extension any time after that time. 

If you are correct I just can't get my head round the timeline.

18 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Kenny Arthur is another joker who achieved sod all in his career, yet had the audacity to coach Tam Cerny to be a good goalkeeper! Nepotism has poisoned every facet of this pathetic and crumbling club. We consistently reward mediocrity, and our fans excuse it because "at least we ur no the Old Furm ughly sisturs." 

And mocking (some might say insulting) fellow Thistle fans helps how, exactly?

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Debtors also went up though, Norge - but I tend to agree that they didn’t look as healthy as the Directors statement suggested. However, I suppose you also should look at 3BC’s accounts for the same period. Is there anything besides the shares being transferred ?

Not due out till February/March 

McCall has this job as long as he wants. Fans let him away with murder and Jacqui doesn't have the guts to make a decision and sack him. We could get rode again on saturday and he'd be superglued into that job. He'd have been out the door at a lot of other clubs for less, but our fans put up with any old shit if they see an emotional attachment to someone. The club is crying out for someone ruthless to come in and clean the place out top to bottom. Far too cozy and full of stooges and yes men coasting along on sentiment. Shame we had that chance but we drove johnny foreigner off incase he bulldozed the place for student flats, chuckle. 

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hankey said:

McCall has this job as long as he wants. Fans let him away with murder and Jacqui doesn't have the guts to make a decision and sack him. We could get rode again on saturday and he'd be superglued into that job. He'd have been out the door at a lot of other clubs for less, but our fans put up with any old shit if they see an emotional attachment to someone. The club is crying out for someone ruthless to come in and clean the place out top to bottom. Far too cozy and full of stooges and yes men coasting along on sentiment. Shame we had that chance but we drove johnny foreigner off incase he bulldozed the place for student flats, chuckle. 

It is nonsense to suggest that fans let him get away with murder. Many fans (including myself) were generally happy (in many cases with caveats) with the previous two and quarter seasons: a L1 Championship, a 4th place and finishing the first quarter of this season top or thereabouts. The wheels now seem to be coming off, and as this poll suggest, the fans aren't accepting it.

As far for as the Johnny Foreigner reference goes, I (and I expect most other fans) don't care about the owner's nationality. My major reservations were that it was then proposed we become a feeder club to another club. I personally have no desire for Thistle to be a feeder club, existing mainly to further the success of another.

2 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

It is nonsense to suggest that fans let him get away with murder. Many fans (including myself) were generally happy (in many cases with caveats) with the previous two and quarter seasons: a L1 Championship, a 4th place and finishing the first quarter of this season top or thereabouts. The wheels now seem to be coming off, and as this poll suggest, the fans aren't accepting it.

As far for as the Johnny Foreigner reference goes, I (and I expect most other fans) don't care about the owner's nationality. My major reservations were that it was then proposed we become a feeder club to another club. I personally have no desire for Thistle to be a feeder club, existing mainly to further the success of another.

And if I recall, fans of that club we would have been a feeder to were waving great big red flags.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

We're 7th in a piss poor league with one of the biggest budgets. We have 21 senior players last I looked. As usual with McCall when we see promising signs the nosebleed is just around the corner and we shit the bed. Yeah, hes not Dick Campbell levels of bad, great, how low does the bar have to be on our expectations? Is it always a case of aye but at least hes not.... We're off our fifth straight pumping and theres a laid back attitude about it. Hes underachieving and has a long long history of that, thats hardly news. Infact that more or less is his history as a manager. A couple of two bob titles with full-time teams in part-time leagues is about his lot. 

And aye, you did. You saw outsiders with no connection to the club or the area and started scaremongering that they were here to asset strip us and run us into the ground, its hilarious that people like you are as much to blame for what has actually happened when you think about it. You didn't want "baddies" getting their hands on the club, but look at whats actually ******* happened.  Low played you like a fiddle and you did her bidding and now we're stuck with her, at least until its gets even worse. Not only is it transpiring shes a shit owner, shes clearly not got the grapes to empty a failure of a manager.

Edited by Hankey

36 minutes ago, Hankey said:

We're 7th in a piss poor league with one of the biggest budgets. We have 21 senior players last I looked. As usual with McCall when we see promising signs the nosebleed is just around the corner and we shit the bed. Yeah, hes not Dick Campbell levels of bad, great, how low does the bar have to be on our expectations? Is it always a case of aye but at least hes not.... We're off our fifth straight pumping and theres a laid back attitude about it. Hes underachieving and has a long long history of that, thats hardly news. Infact that more or less is his history as a manager. A couple of two bob titles with full-time teams in part-time leagues is about his lot.

I've not seen any laid back attitude. I don't think anyone thinks 7th is good enough. The most voted for option (with about half the votes) is that he should be sacked now. Many more are only giving him till the end of the month.

37 minutes ago, Hankey said:

And aye, you did. You saw outsiders with no connection to the club or the area and started scaremongering that they were here to asset strip us and run us into the ground, its hilarious that people like you are as much to blame for what has actually happened when you think about it. You didn't want "baddies" getting their hands on the club, but look at whats actually ******* happened.  Low played you like a fiddle and you did her bidding and now we're stuck with her, at least until its gets even worse. Not only is it transpiring shes a shit owner, shes clearly not got the grapes to empty a failure of a manager.

What on earth are you basing this assertion on. I have never said anything about outsiders (I mean, I'm actually an outsider myself, being from London). I have absolutely no idea what scaremongering you are referring to. I simply did not want Thistle to be a feeder club. I stick by that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankey said:

I'm not sure if this is Alf Garnet or Rab C speaking, or a wonderful juxtaposition of both. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

And mocking (some might say insulting) fellow Thistle fans helps how, exactly?

I'm not trying to help. I'm calling it out forthright. Our fans as a collective accept failure at a rate that few other Scottish clubs would. And in my opinion, it's often because they'd rather virtue signal about "no bein the old furm" as opposed to want success. The entire culture of our club seems based on what we aren't, as opposed to what we are (whatever the hell that is). 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

13 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I'm not trying to help. I'm calling it out forthright. Our fans as a collective accept failure at a rate that few other Scottish clubs would. And in my opinion, it's often because they'd rather virtue signal about "no bein the old furm" as opposed to want success. The entire culture of our club seems based on what we aren't, as opposed to what we are (whatever the hell that is). 

100% , our template should be similar to St Johnstone, similar crowd base etc, difference is they’ve had a infrastructure within their Club for years which has proved successful.

At PTFC there seems to be an acceptance of failure , needs a total shakeup from top to bottom from directors who contrary to their title show no direction at all and to a bombscare management  team on the football side .

Personally I’m fed up with the “ Cuddly Toy “ image we’ve got , our Club deserves so much better .

33 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I had hoped that the move to fan ownership would have allowed a discussion to take place about what sort of club we want to be so that the board would then have a clear direction to travel in and we could evaluate at regular intervals whether we were being succesful against set criteria.

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I had hoped that the move to fan ownership would have allowed a discussion to take place about what sort of club we want to be so that the board would then have a clear direction to travel in and we could evaluate at regular intervals whether we were being succesful against set criteria.

Should the BOD not have some sort of vision for our Club , we’ve heard nothing about their future plans if they had any anyway .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Should the BOD not have some sort of vision for our Club , we’ve heard nothing about their future plans if they had any anyway .

The communication from the ptfc  trust is beyond reproach and their engagement with the fans has been outstanding …….their existential approach to owning a football club is both novel and revolutionary …..having a blank piece of paper as your vision and strategy is a philosophical  act of great significance and recasting communication using a one way methodology is inspiring ….. I look forward to much more radical thinking in the future 

16 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

When the club did not have an outright owner the board would need to set the direction of travel. Now there is an organisation which owns the club, they should set a direction and the board would then do the day to day stuff to make it happen.

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

When the club did not have an outright owner the board would need to set the direction of travel. Now there is an organisation which owns the club, they should set a direction and the board would then do the day to day stuff to make it happen.

Super scary if the trust are setting the direction of travel in an absolute communications and strategic vacuum.