Manager's Position

Fawlty Towers

Manager's Position  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should the manager be dismissed?

• Yes - now.
    • Yes but only if results have not improved by end of November.
    • No - give him full season and make a decision then.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about Kevin Holts injury , but Doc’s injury is a Grade 1 hip flexor tear 

Whatever that means !

A google suggests Docherty's injury is anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks. Suggests he might be back before we to face Arboath or Kelty which might save McCall's job.

Holt was mean to be 8 to 12 weeks which means he's not back until January.

Still not heard anything on Graham. 

You would hope we are doing some business early in the January transfer window to get a couple more defensive options in. Still think we should be looking at a free agent like Kevin McDonald so we can protect our defence.

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Should have been in for big Ambrose before Morton got him

I thought Ambrose looked done last season. Not sure if he's got himself fitter or the standard this season has dropped again but either way he would walk into our team right now.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:14 PM, Winter of '63 said:

Dougie Imrie's Morton side lost 5-1 at the beginning of October and were by a distance the worst side I've seen at Firhill this season but a month later some people are seriously suggesting he should be our manager.

So, Imrie has identified the earlier problems at Morton and sorted them. Can't see the need for anyone like that at Firhill. :thinking:

16 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

100% , our template should be similar to St Johnstone, similar crowd base etc, difference is they’ve had a infrastructure within their Club for years which has proved successful.

At PTFC there seems to be an acceptance of failure , needs a total shakeup from top to bottom from directors who contrary to their title show no direction at all and to a bombscare management  team on the football side .

Personally I’m fed up with the “ Cuddly Toy “ image we’ve got , our Club deserves so much better .

Don't disagree, tho' St Johnstone do have an income stream that we can't have. But yes they are a well run club.

I don't do polls but are us Jags folk more upset with off the field or on field matters?  With me it's the former. Of course the two can be related but with me because of what's going on (more correctly, not going on) behind the scene I'm just more saddened rather than angry with our recent performances on the park.

Further the idea of Jacqui Low, who has no mandate whatsoever, sacking OUR club's team manager seems to me just plain wrong. Her appointing a new manager is equally wrong. That's regardless of the Gary Caldwell fiasco. Loads of well run clubs pick dud managers so that's largely irrelevant. Then again a person without a mandate doing nothing and not replacing a manager when his time is up is just as wrong. This just brings me back to highlight my view that off field matters are far worse than current team performances.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't disagree, tho' St Johnstone do have an income stream that we can't have. But yes they are a well run club.

I don't do polls but are us Jags folk more upset with off the field or on field matters?  With me it's the former. Of course the two can be related but with me because of what's going on (more correctly, not going on) behind the scene I'm just more saddened rather than angry with our recent performances on the park.

Further the idea of Jacqui Low, who has no mandate whatsoever, sacking OUR club's team manager seems to me just plain wrong. Her appointing a new manager is equally wrong. That's regardless of the Gary Caldwell fiasco. Loads of well run clubs pick dud managers so that's largely irrelevant. Then again a person without a mandate doing nothing and not replacing a manager when his time is up is just as wrong. This just brings me back to highlight my view that off field matters are far worse than current team performances.

This depends entirely on how you define well run! There is conventional wisdom. And there is PTFC's.

Some seem to argue, or accept , being well run is whatever fancy valuation method you have used to swell your net assets. Under those criteria, PTFC trounce St Johnstone. PTFC have net assets of in excess of £14m, with St Johnstone having a lowly £1.8m of net assets. (This is of course because St Johnstone have not revalued their stadium which shows exactly the limitations of concentrating on net assets, as I suspect no one truly believes we are 8 times as wealthy as St Johnstone?)

This exact point - which emerges in the TJF accounts analysis - is further proven by looking at two other key figures, namely cash, and net current assets. In cash terms St Johnstone hold £3.9m of cash reserves versus our £330k in the May 2022 accounts. So they have nearly 12 times the amount of cash reserves as we do - something more in line with the view of them being a well run club. This is explained well in their (non-petulant) directors report. 

Furthermore, whilst our net current assets ratio is 1.1 (down from 1.65 and lurching closely towards being under 1 - not a good thing), the net current assets ratio of St Johnstone is 8.2 in their last published accounts. 

Sometimes you need to scratch beneath the surface.

• Like 8

On 11/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, Woodstock Jag said:

I could be wrong about this but wasn’t the Club still paying off Archie’s previous management contract through gardening leave when McCall came back? That might partly explain the slightly unusual situation of him having two assistants: it was a less expensive way to get an extra member of coaching staff in having just sacked Caldwell and Kerr…

I suspect IMC's made his appointment conditional on Archibald being brought back to the club as one of his Assistants!.

I understand thet are very good friends outside, as well as inside, football.

I have been a supporter of our manager but the current run of defeats and the number of goals being conceded can't continue. The free fall has got to be stopped. I have some sympathy for IMC given that we have not only lost through injury our 4 best players but also that 3 of them, Graham, Docherty and Holt are leaders on the park. Any team would miss such players plus a player like Tiffoney.

There are a number of ccomments on this thread implying that IMC's strength is that he knows a player when he sees one. Also  his main weakness is that he fails to get the best out of these players and is not good at addressing management related issues - example our current bad run!

There are also comments about appointing a new manager (usual suspects named) or a young hungry manager.

I for one would prefer to see IMC stay at Firhill and would invite him to become our Director of Football. In this role he could work to his strengths.

As our new young manager I would invite Brian Graham to take on the post as Manager/Head Coach and work with IMC. Graham has done well with PT Woman's Team so it could be argued deserves the opportunity to show what he can do with the men"s team. I would keep Scally to assist Graham and release Archibald.. Releasing Archibald would I think effectively 'kill' any chances of the above happening as I expect IMC would resign in protest to Archibald's release.

Worth a try????

10 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I have been a supporter of our manager but the current run of defeats and the number of goals being conceded can't continue. The free fall has got to be stopped. I have some sympathy for IMC given that we have not only lost through injury our 4 best players but also that 3 of them, Graham, Docherty and Holt are leaders on the park. Any team would miss such players plus a player like Tiffoney.

There are a number of ccomments on this thread implying that IMC's strength is that he knows a player when he sees one. Also  his main weakness is that he fails to get the best out of these players and is not good at addressing management related issues - example our current bad run!

There are also comments about appointing a new manager (usual suspects named) or a young hungry manager.

I for one would prefer to see IMC stay at Firhill and would invite him to become our Director of Football. In this role he could work to his strengths.

As our new young manager I would invite Brian Graham to take on the post as Manager/Head Coach and work with IMC. Graham has done well with PT Woman's Team so it could be argued deserves the opportunity to show what he can do with the men"s team. I would keep Scally to assist Graham and release Archibald.. Releasing Archibald would I think effectively 'kill' any chances of the above happening as I expect IMC would resign in protest to Archibald's release.

Worth a try????

Not for me.

This is exactly the sort of nepotism that has created the mess that we find ourselves in. For me it needs to be a clear out of the management and someone coming in with fresh ideas and without any preconceptions. It is time for the clean slate approach and to make sure we are not rewarding failure. 

No thread for the Morton game, is that an indicator that we all believe its a foregone conclusion?

Its getting to the stage that the team we are facing is now under pressure because we are the whipping boys. Failure to score less than 3 goals against us will soon become a sackable offence for opposition managers

3 minutes ago, dibble said:

Problem is with the injuries and players we have who would make any difference?

We have youngsters.

Sometimes players just switch off and need to hear a new voice.

If we continue like this just waiting for players who have been out for weeks to come back fully match fit and in top form we are in serious trouble. I take no pleasure in this but change is required.

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

It is a matter of record that I have backed McCall when we got relegated after the Covid ended season, during the League 1 campaign and all last season but enough is enough. It is time for those in charge of the club to take the necessary action.

They won’t sack him yet. They’ll wait and see if anything changes when some of the injured return, starting next week apparently. But failure to beat Arbroath next week and Kelty in the cup would surely wake them up, but heck JL has been hiding from the support  for years so who knows. 

confidence has evaporated and being fragile against Arbroath and a home cup tie against a team with nothing to lose is potentially deadly. 

1 minute ago, JAG1970 said:

They won’t sack him yet. They’ll wait and see if anything changes when some of the injured return, starting next week apparently. But failure to beat Arbroath next week and Kelty in the cup would surely wake them up, but heck JL has been hiding from the support  for years so who knows. 

confidence has evaporated and being fragile against Arbroath and a home cup tie against a team with nothing to lose is potentially deadly. 

We might get a couple of players back next week but with the red card and McMillan going off we might not be any better off in terms of numbers.