Manager's Position

Fawlty Towers

Manager's Position  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should the manager be dismissed?

• Yes - now.
    • Yes but only if results have not improved by end of November.
    • No - give him full season and make a decision then.

12 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just seen this on Twitter!!    Thoughts????

image.thumb.png.702e04fee5c262511a43f643e0f7737f.png

Did he not say before that the Jags job appealed based mainly on proximity to his drinking dens in the West End.  Not sure that is the vision we need to stop relegation this season unless he buys us all drinks after match and we end up with double vision.

It’s kinda depressing the Scottish manager merry go round.  Wish for once we would think outside the box and look for managers (and players) from further afield who are hungry not just another jobsworth doomed to fail who wants a stage with all his tv/radio pals for quips and puns.

I’ve no idea where we go from here.

Im not sure we can afford to lay off 3 or 4 coaching staff and bring in another 2 or 3. Who would be available, affordable, interested and better either.

I don’t believe replacing from inside the club will sort the issue.

Im not sure if we can continue how we are currently either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

I’ve no idea where we go from here.

Im not sure we can afford to lay off 3 or 4 coaching staff and bring in another 2 or 3. Who would be available, affordable, interested and better either.

I don’t believe replacing from inside the club will sort the issue.

Im not sure if we can continue how we are currently either.

Ach! A wee contribution from 3BC surely!

Just canny see McCall getting the heave unless we're rock bottom and even then I'd be surprised if he wasn't given til the end of the season. Wishful thinking to think we're gonna wake up any morning soon to the news of McCall getting the boot.

My rough calculations it would take £40K easy to get rid of the 3 of them. (Based on a guess of their salaries and assuming they only have contracts til end of May)

Zero budget for it so Low will sit on her hands with crossed fingers hoping McCall gets us to 8th.

Again bit like last week, at 1-1 if we score and win we finish the day in 3rd. That'll be McCalls opening argument.

Edited by The Legend Blows

2 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Just canny see McCall getting the heave unless we're rock bottom and even then I'd be surprised if he wasn't given til the end of the season. Wishful thinking to think we're gonna wake up any morning soon to the news of McCall getting the boot.

My rough calculations it would take £40K easy to get rid of the 3 of them. (Based on a guess of their salaries and assuming they only have contracts til end of May)

Zero budget for it so Low will sit on her hands with crossed fingers hoping McCall gets us to 8th.

Again bit like last week, at 1-1 if we score and win we finish the day in 3rd. That'll be McCalls opening arguement.

I think they have rolling contracts. So (if correct) would be 1.5 years times person. If on £40k average each that’s nearly £250k

McCall goes. Three likely options.....

A/ The In House option. The Player/Manager route.  Player appointed on a temporary basis. Not being able to multi task his playing suffers and he jacks in his footballing career either temporarily or permanently. Club enjoys the traditional dead cat bounce and he becomes manager on a full time basis with at minimum a years rolling contract. Anything less wouldn't be viable to him as he could get more security resurrecting his playing career.

B/The Leftfield option. Not long retired player, with no previous involvement with the Jags. who's either recently got his coach's badge or in the process of. Untried in management. Maybe a few revolutionary ideas and reasonably tactically aware. But hampered perhaps by the types of player contracted to the Club and of course with no man management experience, budgetary and general management experience. All proves too much for him and things inevitably implode. I'd also include a young manager from down the leagues in this category as managing a bunch of part timers is a different ball game (npi).

C/The Dinosaur option.  Hardly need to explain this one. No shortage of experience (including applying for jobs), but what success this fella has enjoyed has been followed by at best mediocrity and at worse downright failure elsewhere. 

I'm painting a a bad picture and naturally things don't and shouldn't be like that. Thing is other clubs with competent stewardship often fall into the trap of appointing one of above. So what chance have we got with the a board that should no longer even be in control?   

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

McCall goes. Three likely options.....

A/ The In House option. The Player/Manager route.  Player appointed on a temporary basis. Not being able to multi task his playing suffers and he jacks in his footballing career either temporarily or permanently. Club enjoys the traditional dead cat bounce and he becomes manager on a full time basis with at minimum a years rolling contract. Anything less wouldn't be viable to him as he could get more security resurrecting his playing career.

B/The Leftfield option. Not long retired player, with no previous involvement with the Jags. who's either recently got his coach's badge or in the process of. Untried in management. Maybe a few revolutionary ideas and reasonably tactically aware. But hampered perhaps by the types of player contracted to the Club and of course with no man management experience, budgetary and general management experience. All proves too much for him and things inevitably implode. I'd also include a young manager from down the leagues in this category as managing a bunch of part timers is a different ball game (npi).

C/The Dinosaur option.  Hardly need to explain this one. No shortage of experience (including applying for jobs), but what success this fella has enjoyed has been followed by at best mediocrity and at worse downright failure elsewhere. 

I'm painting a a bad picture and naturally things don't and shouldn't be like that. Thing is other clubs with competent stewardship often fall into the trap of appointing one of above. So what chance have we got with the a board that should no longer even be in control?   

A) Brian Graham

B) Christopher Berra

C) Neil Lennon/ John Hughes/ Tommy Smith.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

Did he not say before that the Jags job appealed based mainly on proximity to his drinking dens in the West End.  Not sure that is the vision we need to stop relegation this season unless he buys us all drinks after match and we end up with double vision.

It’s kinda depressing the Scottish manager merry go round.  Wish for once we would think outside the box and look for managers (and players) from further afield who are hungry not just another jobsworth doomed to fail who wants a stage with all his tv/radio pals for quips and puns.

Was Caldwell not ‘outside of the box’?

38 minutes ago, dibble said:

No easy answer to this- risks involved for all options. The one thing I suppose is that the players still seem to be behind the gaffer - not like he has lost the dressing room.   

That would almost make things worse. If true it means that we are playing exactly how the manager wants, or that the players are trying, but not good enough to play the way he wants. 
Either way, it doesn’t look good on McCall.

My Morton supporting friend said that there was no difference between the teams. But we lost again. We lose every week. The players are a bunch of losers. 

Sure, our best 2/3 players are injured but the replacements are garbage and McCall signed them.

So we have a team of losers, who are flabby and unmotivated and no cover for these miscreants. This is the responsibility of management who should pack up and go now, having lost the dressing room.

• Like 1

The sound of silence from the BoD is deafening. 

A team can lose a few games in a row but we are sitting at 6 losses in what is frankly a very mediocre league.

The manager has not addressed this collapse. Certainly not to the eyes of the average fan 

The waiting for players coming back excuse may have an element of truth but as we know this excuse has been trotted out and there is no guarantee players returning will see an upturn in results.

Next two games are going to be a breakwater. 

The management, the BoD and even CEO all seem intrinsically linked. 

Thinking out loud we need more than a change of manager/ coaches or we will just go through this roundabout again and again. 

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

The sound of silence from the BoD is deafening. 

A team can lose a few games in a row but we are sitting at 6 losses in what is frankly a very mediocre league.

The manager has not addressed this collapse. Certainly not to the eyes of the average fan 

The waiting for players coming back excuse may have an element of truth but as we know this excuse has been trotted out and there is no guarantee players returning will see an upturn in results.

Next two games are going to be a breakwater. 

The management, the BoD and even CEO all seem intrinsically linked. 

Thinking out loud we need more than a change of manager/ coaches or we will just go through this roundabout again and again. 

This is my bigger worry. The Board will sack the manager when the majority of fans make it clear he should go. Just now we're maybe in the limbo state where the give it to the end of the month/next game contingent hold sway. My point being the Board will make a decision to appease the support rather than what's good for the Club. Ok, it'll probably be the right decision but for the wrong reason. Appease the fans and deflect criticism away from the Board. Jags fans will take their eye off the bigger picture during any transition period and the ensuing bedding in period given to the new manager. The cynic in me expects a PTFC Trust promoted "Meet the New Manager Night" before the year is out.

jagfox is spot on, and his last two sentences are particularly accurate and relevant. The way the team is performing on the pitch and apparent fitness issues off it mirror the current stewardship of Our Club. Questionable tactics and fitness are not exclusive to the team management and players.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, Norgethistle said:

I think they have rolling contracts. So (if correct) would be 1.5 years times person. If on £40k average each that’s nearly £250k

If it is rolling contracts, it doesn’t matter when they go, the cost will be the same. I don’t see any way back from here. It is just delaying the inevitable.

If we can’t afford to sack them then effectively they have jobs for life.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

On 11/12/2022 at 9:47 PM, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just seen this on Twitter!!    Thoughts????

image.thumb.png.702e04fee5c262511a43f643e0f7737f.pngJust no. Over rated. Hasn’t done anything of note.

won leagues and cups with  Celtic (but so could I or anyone else for that matter)

Crap with a struggling team at Bolton

quit Hibs when the going got tough and before he was found out

returned to Celtic, (see above) jumped before the push

Cyprus - got punted 

Don't think Lennon would be the answer,  would be happier with Brian Graham till the end of the season he seems to be doing a good job with the ladies team.

Bigger issues are with the whole setup at the club .... from the Director and board to General manager, football manager and backroom staff it does seem to be an old pals act and self preservation society,  even the new majority shareholders are part of that as well..  what a mess