Manager's Position

Fawlty Towers

Manager's Position  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should the manager be dismissed?

• Yes - now.
    • Yes but only if results have not improved by end of November.
    • No - give him full season and make a decision then.

McCall put all his eggs in the one basket with Bannigan who is not a ball winner, not creative in possession, devoid of attacking vision, no positional awareness, lacks strength and confidence in the middle of the pitch being easily bullied. With that being said he`s still better than Docherty that's how bad we are. And its McCall's failure to identify the midfield failings that has spotlighted his own managerial failings. As for a new manager both the Lennons nay danger. Ross at Sunderland had almost the biggest budget of all the teams in the league at that time combined and failed.  No more Jobs for the boys  

9 hours ago, sabbath said:

McCall put all his eggs in the one basket with Bannigan who is not a ball winner, not creative in possession, devoid of attacking vision, no positional awareness, lacks strength and confidence in the middle of the pitch being easily bullied. With that being said he`s still better than Docherty that's how bad we are. And its McCall's failure to identify the midfield failings that has spotlighted his own managerial failings. 

I've been saying something like this for a while. Just how much we've missed Docherty recently is so evident. But the fact that we have to rely on Docherty to provide our central mid muscle is a major problem in itself.

Even when a team plays (like we've done lately) with an extra central defender a team still requires a ball winner in midfield. But we've played mostly with two up top and three central defenders. In short we've been asking the likes of Turner, Bannigan & A N Other to do the work of four or five midfielders. Not one of whatever three midfielders we play is a ball winner. Docherty papers over that crack to a certain degree and we sometimes get away with it. I differ slightly in saying both Bannigan & Docherty are fine at our current level. Just neither are at they're best in the  roles they're asked to play in. Bannigan can't tackle and Docherty is no David Rowson or Abdul Osman. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've been saying something like this for a while. Just how much we've missed Docherty recently is so evident. But the fact that we have to rely on Docherty to provide our central mid muscle is a major problem in itself.

Even when a team plays (like we've done lately) with an extra central defender a team still requires a ball winner in midfield. But we've played mostly with two up top and three central defenders. In short we've been asking the likes of Turner, Bannigan & A N Other to do the work of four or five midfielders. Not one of whatever three midfielders we play is a ball winner. Docherty papers over that crack to a certain degree and we sometimes get away with it. I differ slightly in saying both Bannigan & Docherty are fine at our current level. Just neither are at their best in the  roles their asked to play in. Bannigan can't tackle and Docherty is no David Rowson or Abdul Osman. 

Agree and to my mind its holding back Turner. If you had a proper CDM alongside Docherty it would give Turner much more freedom to play further up the park in behind the striker.

However that would also require  a move away from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 if we continue to play with overlapping fullbacks

McCall seems quite wedded to 4-3-3. That's also fine but when you have 2 overlapping fullbacks it leaves the 2 central defenders and 1 CDM very exposed.

29 minutes ago, laukat said:

Agree and to my mind its holding back Turner. If you had a proper CDM alongside Docherty it would give Turner much more freedom to play further up the park in behind the striker.

However that would also require  a move away from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 if we continue to play with overlapping fullbacks

McCall seems quite wedded to 4-3-3. That's also fine but when you have 2 overlapping fullbacks it leaves the 2 central defenders and 1 CDM very exposed.

I don't get this Turner love-in. When ever I see him he has been bang average at best. Yes he has a good delivery from a dead ball, but if the ball is moving, bang average.

28 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don't get this Turner love-in. When ever I see him he has been bang average at best. Yes he has a good delivery from a dead ball, but if the ball is moving, bang average.

Even his dead ball delivery isn’t great. It was good early last season but hasn’t been as good this season