"i've Told Them All I Need To"

Buchanan 9

One of my Dunfermline fan mates [the club Photographer] just sent me a piece off their forum

Did he, or did you pick it up on P&B?

I've criticised McCall for a few things, but having a fag before a game? Nah. It's actually an opportunity for fans to engage him, something that he doesn't shy away from in my experience.

What could McCall possibly being doing at that time when the players are out warming up with Maxwell anyway?

So who would decide which substitute replaced a Jag who got injured in the warm up if McCall is out having a fag? If this story true, McCall is even worse than I thought.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He clearly disnae give two hoots and is ultra confident in the knowledge that he can't/won't be sacked due to the club's financial position.

He really is becoming more odious each day.

GTF McCall.

Agreed.

Lost the Jags support's confidence, Master Obi-Wan-McCall-ker has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing.

So who would decide which substitute replaced a Jag who got injured in the warm up if McCall is out having a fag? If this story true, McCall is even worse than I thought.

Luckily that doesn't happen very often. I somehow doubt he goes straight from having a fag to the dugout at 3pm on the dot.

There's plenty of things to criticise McCall about but this is just ridiculous.

How about he goes out on the pitch during warm up and talks to the players? How about he gives a rallying team talk right as they leave the dressing room?

He really is a terrible manager. Told them all they need to know? If he believes that then he obviously doesn’t know much himself.

McCall Out.

Confidence within the squad has obviously crashed - never more obvious than the lack of fightback shown when we go a goal down. If I were the manager, I wouldn't give these players a moments peace, I'd be on their backs round the clock to motivate them. If McCall thinks he's got nothing more to offer these guys then maybe we should find someone who does. With results like these, I'd be putting in some overtime to get it sorted, not disappearing down the bookies when the squad are in training, or nipping out front for smoke minutes before a must win game.

Beleave you me it is true. I actually seen him doing it at Firhill BEFORE he was Thistle manager. He was in charge at Queens. I could'nt beleave it when i seen it.

Has anyone ever heard of anyother manager in the planet who does this?

Also, he dissapeared for a couple of mins in the second half on sat. Unreal.

I think this is all getting a bit beyond the pale. McCall is spotted having a fag outside the stadium before the game because he's not allowed to smoke in Firhill. He's seen by Dunfermline fans who engage in some good natured banter, which he replies to in the same spirit. It is now blown up as being symptomatic of everything from McCall's inability to manage to his disinterest in the job. I mean for f*cks sake, I'd like McCall to succeed, but I'm not convinced so maybe he should resign or whatever, BUT HE WAS OUTSIDE HAVING A SMOKE! CAN WE GET SOME PERSPECTIVE PLEASE!

I can understand the above perspective to this, but the facts reported were that he initiated the conversation by bragging about how good he was. To be honest, as a non-smoker, I think it's incredibly enraging to see the leeway given to smokers when they're at work. Why should he be paid to go and have a smoke? I don't care if he's finished interacting with the team before the match. There is definately something he can be doing at 5 to 3pm.

Everyone thought McCall was a massive gobbler when he was at Airdrie and Dundee Utd, and he clearly was and still is!

I think this is all getting a bit beyond the pale. McCall is spotted having a fag outside the stadium before the game because he's not allowed to smoke in Firhill. He's seen by Dunfermline fans who engage in some good natured banter, which he replies to in the same spirit. It is now blown up as being symptomatic of everything from McCall's inability to manage to his disinterest in the job. I mean for f*cks sake, I'd like McCall to succeed, but I'm not convinced so maybe he should resign or whatever, BUT HE WAS OUTSIDE HAVING A SMOKE! CAN WE GET SOME PERSPECTIVE PLEASE!

Erm...we are rock bottom of the leauge and our manager thinks it's more important to be outside having a fag, instead of watching them warm up and then waiting on them to jee them up every available second he has before they take to the pitch. It's a fecking joke!

If true, very disappointed. What must the players be thinking minutes before the match? "Where's the gaffer? Wanted to ask him something." "He's oot for a smoke, be back in a couple of minutes." I'd have thought the time just before kick-off would be one of the most important for a manager, a last motivational sentence before the players go out to get beat.

Why should the players bother if he doesn't? That may well be the attitude of some of our players, not saying it is, but there has to be some explanation for the performances.

Ditto. Whatever the justification of the criticism of McCall, this is bordering on the hysterical. Bet no-one was criticising him for not being on the pitch before kick-off in the season we finished second. Can't recall John Lambie ever doing this either. Indeed I think few managers do this. If a manager has to brief the team about tactics and the opposition 15 mins before the start there's something sadly wrong. If the man is a smoker and has to leave the ground for a fag just before kick-off (to make it his last for how long?) so be it. No coincidence he was seen with John Lambie. As for the conversation with two Pars fans - all hearsay.

Beleave you me it is true. I actually seen him doing it at Firhill BEFORE he was Thistle manager. He was in charge at Queens. I could'nt beleave it when i seen it.

Has anyone ever heard of anyother manager in the planet who does this?

Also, he dissapeared for a couple of mins in the second half on sat. Unreal.

Carlo Ancelotti has being doing exactly the same for years. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected his teams overmuch.

Ditto. Whatever the justification of the criticism of McCall, this is bordering on the hysterical. Bet no-one was criticising him for not being on the pitch before kick-off in the season we finished second. Can't recall John Lambie ever doing this either. Indeed I think few managers do this. If a manager has to brief the team about tactics and the opposition 15 mins before the start there's something sadly wrong. If the man is a smoker and has to leave the ground for a fag just before kick-off (to make it his last for how long?) so be it. No coincidence he was seen with John Lambie. As for the conversation with two Pars fans - all hearsay.

Whilst popping out for a fag does seem like a minor thing in itself, you have to put it in context of where we are in the league and the attitude of the players on the park. There are clearly motivation problems within the squad, and if you take this story along with the others of McCall not being anywhere to be seen at training or disappearing down the bookies at every opportunity, then it's possible that the attitude of the players is the result of the management. If you were the manager with these results, and presuming you actually gave a damn, would you be absent quite as often as it is being reported he is, or would you be putting the hard yards in?

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

What could McCall possibly being doing at that time when the players are out warming up with Maxwell anyway?

Exactly. We assume that the team has been given instructions on the tactics before they 'cross the white line'. whether the instructions and/or tactics are effective is another matter. Any stick to beat the manager of a struggling team with?

Don't think I ever saw John Lambie (or Jock Stein for that matter) actually on the park issuing belated instructions during the warm up?

If the man is a smoker and has to leave the ground for a fag just before kick-off (to make it his last for how long?) so be it.

Come on, lets not make it sound as though the man is actually making a sacrifice for the team here.

Lambie's era ended almost ten years ago. The smoking ban has come in since. Lambie's didn't involve taking time out from his job.