Morton v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

With Muirhead out, Bannigan's fitness unknown and Docherty, Graham and Holt in the vortex of unknown injuries I suspect the selection and tactics tombola will be on full spin. 

Suspect we might see the following

Mitchell

Hodson-Akinola-Brownlie-McMillan-Milne

McKinnon-Turner-Lawless

Mullen-Dowds

Every week it seems the defence and the midfield look worse than the previous. It would be very brave to play a back 4 with such a lightweight midfield in front of it.

My only hope for this game is that we rediscover our great unpredictable tag and somehow avoid what looks like another heavy defeat.

Trying hard to get a positive spin on things tomorrow and failing miserably. Best I can come up with is Cappielow is better suited for our recent narrow formation. Of course what's the bets that McCall ditches the three at the back and switches to a formation better suited to a wider pitch, like eh, Firhill? :D

5 hours ago, JeanieD said:

This current run of "form" consists of 1-4, 0-4, 2-4, 0-3, 2-3 so by a process of very rough, and not entirely logical, arithmetic progression tomorrow's defeat will be 1-3.

My reading of the progression is that the opposition have scored 4, 4, 4, 3 and 3, so they are due another 3. On the other hand Thistle are on an upward movement of 0,2. Logically the next figure is 4, so we end up winning by 4 goals to 3. 

There may be a flaw in this somewhere.

Edited by partickthedog
"may" not "any"
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

My reading of the progression is that the opposition have scored 4, 4, 4, 3 and 3, so they are due another 3. On the other hand Thistle are on an upward movement of 0,2. Logically the next figure is 4, so we end up winning by 4 goals to 3. 

There any be a flaw in this somewhere.

Would it help if our progression was 1-0-2-0-2 …. So next in sequence is a 0, followed by either a 1 or a 3

My "logic" was losing 4 goals in 3 consecutive games whilst scoring either 0, 1 or 2 - followed by losing 3 goals in the next 3 consecutive games would mean we have to score 0, 1 or 2 in reply - we have already "achieved" 0 and 2 so that leaves 1 to be scored to complete the series - albeit a totally random series!!  

14 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

There any be a flaw in this somewhere.

The flaw is the team...     

On those rare occasions when I'm confident about a game we always fall flat on our face.  Over the last few games, I've been going with no expectation at all.  But for tomorrow I'm 100% "confident" we will be beaten. Quite possibly thrashed. Therefore, we will surely come away with all 3 points. 

The absence of any Jagszone preview at 5.15pm on a Friday makes me wonder if no one has volunteered to step in front of the camera for fear of their teeth rattling with nerves. 

I don't know who is fit and available but I would rather see a youngster played in his correct position than an older player out of position.

Regardless of the end result the least we should get is every player giving their all, if you need to get subbed after 70 minutes so be it but no holding back at the start.

Having listened to Neil Scally's interview on Jagzone I fear are putting a huge amount of pressure on the injured guys to not only return soon but play great as soon as they do. I am sure Archie said of his final full season in charge what he regreted was remaining too loyal to some players who were not performing (this season the Board doing that with the manager) and relying on injured players returning at the same level as prior to their injuries (the management team this season).

This old quote about not learning from history dooming you to repeat it comes to mind.

Having said all that, three nil to The Jags!

I am not sure why McMillan is not being played in his best position, ie right fullback/wingback, where he has been one of our most potent attacking threats, combining especially well with Lawless. Given the lack of threat elsewhere, we will probably have to rely on Milne and his opposite fullback/wingback to score and/or create chances to have any possibility of taking something from the game.

Playing McMillan at left centre back removes him from the attack. Hodson is a tidy enough player but cannot attack a defence in the same way. I accept that on current form (or lack of) Akinola and Brownlie have to be part of a three. Delving back into history, I can remember Simon Storey, who was a competent, but by no means spectacular, fullback (in the Hodson mould) doing an excellent job as sweeper in the middle of a back three. I think that Hodson could do that very competently. That would shore up the defence, while also restoring one of our most effective weapons going forward, as McMillan goes back to his natural position.